950XL wifi problems, keeps dropping connection to 5.0GHz network

Nevil Alekov

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
950XL wifi problems, keeps dropping connection to 5.0GHz network,I have other nokia 930 work perfect with the same router.where is the problem with 950xl_

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
5gz is super reliable for me. I have had no WiFi issues at all on a 950xl. Son has a 950 and he hasn't had any issues either.

Have you tried setting the router to a different channel? Although 5gz is less susceptible to interference, the signal isn't as robust. I could lose it between the router and being 20ft away!. I now have an extender upstairs and no issues since. The whole house is covered now.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
This is a known issue. I've had the same problem since getting the 950XL over a month ago. My Lumia 930 does not exhibit the same issue with the 5GHz band. I have a very good router (ASUS RT-N66U) and no other device that can connect to 5GHz has a problem doing so.

Nevil Alekov

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
thank you for your reply,now I have original router from Movistar Spain,work with two wi-fi network,one normal and second with 5ghz,is the problem when I use the sames passwd for wlan?

Nevil Alekov

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
thank @signal-2-noise you for your reply,now I have original router from Movistar Spain,work with two wi-fi network,one normal and second with 5ghz,is the problem when I use the sames passwd for wlan?

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
thank @signal-2-noise you for your reply,now I have original router from Movistar Spain,work with two wi-fi network,one normal and second with 5ghz,is the problem when I use the sames passwd for wlan?

I run the same password on both.

My 930 was a nightmare on 5ghz. Always dropping out and the 'not able to access internet' message, or the go to browser message.

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
My 950XL doesn't even see my 5G network. Wife's 950 works fine as does my old 1520.. :(
Right. So I had some spare time yesterday to investigate this in more detail and here's what I found.

I have an Asus RT-AC68U router, configured as a dumb access point (AP) running on AsusWRT-Merlin. This was configured to automatically select Wi-Fi channels and it had decided channel 149 was the one to use. Channel Bandwidth was also set to auto (or rather 20/40/80) and it chose 80MHz.

As far as I could tell all my devices worked fine with this, a number of Surface's and Surface Pro's, gaming consoles, smart TVs, phones etc. All would see and work with the existing setup. Then I bought a 950XL when they were first released and nope, no senor, no dice - there is no 5GHz network available.

Like, literarily no 5GHz network available at all in my location. I even used various WiFi tools on the phone to make sure. I figured it was a firmware issue and would be patched at some point, but it never was.

So, like I said, I had some free time yesterday and I again went back to the Wifi Tool app and I suddenly realized it would only show certain channels when analyzing the spectrum. Basically, it would go to channel 140 (5700MHz) but no further. I quickly changed channels on the router from Automatic to channel 116 and my phone saw and connected to the network instantly. I then continued playing around with the channels and found that my phone would see interference when I selected channel 144 but it was unable to connect, anything higher was completely invisible. I ended up locking it at channel 112 (5560MHz) in the end as that seemed to give the best signal. In terms of actual speed both my 2.4G and 5G network locks at 300Mbps.

It seems like signal strength has gone down overall in my house using this channel though, so I may just put it back to 149 and call it a day.

Nevil Alekov

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
I want say that at worst my purchase is this nokia 950 xl,very,very bad phone and so much cost,I cant more used,always bugs after bugs,camera,wi-fi,apps,sounds for apps,etc...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss