Frustrated owner of a 930 - Why isn't it better than the iPhone 6?

SaulSantos

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello, guys.

I need to vent on this matter, because it is frustrating as hell.

I own a Lumia 930, bought it a little over a year ago. Before that I owned a 920, and before that a 610. I was a happy WP user, recommended it to all my friends, got some of them into actually buying a WM phone (around 7), but now I can't support it anymore. You see, a 930 is, in almost all important aspects, better than an iPhone 6. Better camera, better processor, better screen, etc etc. However, in reality, that does not translate into a better phone. I spent a weekend with friends that own iPhone 6 and 6S, and I freaking envy how well it works. Pictures are crips and clear (930 photos are, in all honesty, crap since I installed WM10), the system works well with no breakdowns, applications are fast and responsive (their facebook app is amazing, for example - ours is just...poor). It all just made me want to buy one of those instead. Design is a subjective thing, but even the chopboard design of the iPhone is growing on me.

Then there's how Microsoft is handling the platform itself. The way they pay more attention to Android and iOS annoys me. I'm not against their expanding of business to other platforms - of course they should do that. But I always feel like WM is the afterthought. They used to have a picture with phones of the 3 platforms in their sign-in page. They placed the iPhone in first place, the Android in second, and the WP in third. Why? They should push their stuff first at all times!

I like to study all my purchases (that's why I got into WP in the first place), but I don't know if I will stick with WP in my next smartphone purchase.

Sorry for the rant.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
To be quite honest, this isn't that much of a rant.. or it isn't that long and preachy lol

I am amazed that you would consider comparing a preview OS (which is what the w10m insider updates really are) to an established OS. Even iOS has it's very own beta program, but I doubt the people you were with were running beta.

Having picture quality issues is sth I've seen a few 930 owners complain about, but I thought that was solved with the very first camera update?

As to MS focusing more on the other platforms, well this isn't quite true. We know that there are separate teams for the different platforms, so it really comes down to which team works faster to get updates out for the apps on their platform. It isn't like MS is intentionally holding the platform back or giving the other teams more resources and manpower.

I get your frustrations and perhaps given the situation you might want to consider letting go of the 930, getting a cheaper wp to stay on top of the w10 stuff and try the i-world for a bit

Christian Holzer

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
In my family everyone has a Lumia now (my wife and I have a 930, my son has a 720, and my daughter has a 640).

I really I like my 930 despite the issues that W10M still has close before it's official release (WiFi stops working and needs a restart of the phone to get working again, app crashes of the default W10 apps, MS camera app lacks a lot of features that the Lumia Camera had, live tiles of default apps not updating, ...... etc.).

The only thing that really frustrates me and makes it hard to recommend Windows Phones to other people is the app situation.
Facebook (W10) is indeed a sad joke of an app compared to what the app looks like on Android and iOS, there is no snapchat app, etc.

What I don't get here is why MS does not invest more into getting these apps done? With "big player" apps missing, the windows phones will continue to be hard to sell - especially the younger audience does not accept a phone that does not have i.e. a snapchat app.

I would guess that even if MS would write the app for snapchat, they would still win from that as this would help sales.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
About iPhone vs Lumia 930 picture quality...I can assure you that the 930 takes better quality pictures overall. The only major advantage the iPhone has over ANY Lumia is it's super fast focusing ability. Put your Lumia on manual and click a picture along side your iPhone 6S, the picture may look miles better on the iPhone at least when compared on screen but wait until you move them to a PC and compare side by side, you'll definitely see the Lumia as the clear winner. Again this result may vary from person to person. Overall the iPhone has a great overall user experience with the camera.

My 2c

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
their facebook app is amazing, for example - ours is just...poor

Because you did compare the beta W10 (certainly on a 930, which also needs an firmware update to work even better then it already does) did you also compare Facebook beta?
I mean, to me, that app is really nice!

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I actually understand the OP quite well as I followed the same route. Happy 920 owner moving to a 930 and there it was... a supposed flagship that doesn't work better than my 3 year old 920... Wifi issues, 3G issues, overheating, inconsistent double tap to wake, no glance and so on. I'm simply comparing the 930 running 8.1 with a lumia 920 running 8.1... I had issues with my 930 that I never had with my 920.

When I started to compare it with an Android device, I realized how poor WP actually was and that's what the OP is currently experiencing with the iPhone 6. Now, I do like WP and that's why I chose to stick with it. WP8.1 is smooth, works ok despite the few issues (on the 930).

However, W10M has always been a terrible experience. YES IT'S A PREVIEW. Now that I said that, let's try to be more realistic for a moment. It's a preview, at least, it used to be in its early stages, but now each version released to production is actually an untouched version from the insider preview... all in all, it's not much of a preview anymore. People should realize that W10M is going to stay in beta so the "it's a preview" excuse is getting stale. Things are not going to get better in that regards, at least not anytime soon.

I rolled back to 8.1 because of the camera quality in W10M and I'm not even thinking about going back to 10. I do not miss anything about it and find that 8.1 IS the superior version in every way. Even though I love 8.1, my next device won't be a WP. I'll get back to it once it's finally stable and complete. It may actually be dead by then but these are just phones. If it makes you mad, the solution is very simple: get a new phone with a different OS.

In my case, I live and work everyday and need my phone to WORK steadily everyday. Therefore, I won't be buying a new phone with a beta OS based on promises. If W10M is finally ready within 2 years, I'll get one in 2 years but until then, I'll buy a device that works for me on a daily basis.

No need to get frustrated over a phone though, there are too many alternatives to get mad about that. ;)

muciumbe

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
For those that don't like the Facebook app I highly recommend Black for Facebook. Works well for me with no problems

With this app you actually get a 3 apps combo: 'Social Scout', Tile'agram and 'BLACK for Facebook' (3 apps all integrated into one)! You will see randomly displayed ads, but you can remove them via an in-app purchase and as well unlock some premium features. DISCLAIMER: This app is not developed by Facebook and is not affiliated to it in any way. Due to this fact and also the fact that it runs "on top" of the Facebook web platform which is subject to changes without notice, it can break easily at any time. So just remain calm if this happens and report us any issue as we might be able to patch it in a timely fashion.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
MS camera app lacks a lot of features that the Lumia Camera had, live tiles of default apps not updating, ...... etc.)..
I see that one thing more frustrating. They bought something, good... they are trying to enhance, better... but it makes no sense to retire old stuff if the alternate you have produced is not even giving the basic functionality what old stuff had !! Yes, you can still improve MS Camera, but at least show that you have basic Lumia Camera functionalities available when you say that you are not continuing with it now !!

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Because you did compare the beta W10 (certainly on a 930, which also needs an firmware update to work even better then it already does)
That story is not much different on 950 or 950XL as well when you talk about a 'Resuming.....OS' and crashing apps within it.
And yes, for 950 / 950 XL, its not a 'Beta OS' released with these phones, at least they say it a production release version of OS.

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
That story is not much different on 950 or 950XL as well when you talk about a 'Resuming.....OS' and crashing apps within it.
And yes, for 950 / 950 XL, its not a 'Beta OS' released with these phones, at least they say it a production release version of OS.

Don't quote me only on a part of what I said.
I referred to the Beta Facebook app, which is really nice.

And people who have problems with W10 on there phone, I really don't understand what there talking about, because on my 930 it has always worked very nice!

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
However, W10M has always been a terrible experience. YES IT'S A PREVIEW

I understand! We all understand! but you also have to understand that not all 930 owners are experiencing this. Just the same as not all 950/XL users are experiencing the same bugs. The experience varies for a lot of users.Which makes it harder for us to help, but we still try..

Just saying.. we're not doubting any things you guys are saying..

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Don't quote me only on a part of what I said.
I referred to the Beta Facebook app, which is really nice.

And people who have problems with W10 on there phone, I really don't understand what there talking about, because on my 930 it has always worked very nice!
I know they are improving OS and they are improving apps as well. Problem is still a half baked base!!
As Ven07 said above, there are different experiences. obviously if you or me or anyone else says that my phone works perfect, it doesn't justify OP to consider their past experience when going for a new phone. If OS still has such complaints, may be it doesnt make sense for them to spend $500+ on such phone!!

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I understand! We all understand! but you also have to understand that not all 930 owners are experiencing this. Just the same as not all 950/XL users are experiencing the same bugs. The experience varies for a lot of users.Which makes it harder for us to help, but we still try..

Just saying.. we're not doubting any things you guys are saying..

I usually emphasize the fact that i'm strictly talking regarding my own and only experience. I did not do that here and I apologize for this. "The experience has always been terrible, for me". I always try not to generalize as I know the situation is different for other people.

What is striking though, 8.1 did not have that disparity between users, even during the preview phase. Yes, there was some bugs but at some point, the number of bugs started to decrease and get more specific. On W10M, each device behaves differently with W10M and bugs gets fixed and broken again, sometimes new ones we never even suspected arise. Which makes ME even more doubtful about MS capacity to reverse the negative halo surrounding W10M. Wait and see as we say.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett