1520 owners: Your opinion is wanted :)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So yeah I am seriously contemplating buying a used 1520. Seriously my favorite windows phone(I've had like 50+ phones over the last 8 years and it was the only one I actually kept for nearly two years since it came out,so that's a testament of how good it is).

I was about to by the 950 xl but honestly it boresme now and it isn't that new to me and im just going to wait for this years flagship. In the meantime my alcatel OneTouch xl I got recently is alright but I hate it at the same time and my 640 xl(my second favorite windows phone) is shattered but usable. Thought about just buying another 640 xl but then I was like why not get a 1520.

They are $150 on ebay.....

Is it recommended to buy one? Its not something I plan to keep past this year.

- does windows 10 run well with it? I haven't used a 1520 since the first insider build which was not that great but it improved so much since.

- do you recommend it still in 2016?

The only thing stopping me really is the damned screen issues. It was precisely the reason I got rid of mine....i was tired of it freaking out. But In spite of it, a 2013 windows phone is still overall the best windows phone to date lmao

Posted from Windows Central for Windows 10

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Loved mine and kept it over 8 months. Now have the 950 with 950xl on the way.
That said, two cautions on the 1520. The internal battery is original so probably has a short life. Secondly, if possible, I would try and find a used 1520.3, the international unlocked model. Probably cost you a bit more but I think it worth it.

Good luck and good hunting.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the AT&T variant and it's running pretty darn good on the latest insider build. It's fast and fluid, way better than my previously owned RM-985 Lumia 830. The screen issues pop up once in a while but resolve on its own. I don't ever use a screen protector to avoid those touch issues. I'm on 30% battery around 11 PM after a day's heavy usage before I charge the device again. I would say this is the best WP one can buy today for the price.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Absolutely agree with the previous posters: I love my 1520 and it is my favourite phone by a long way.

I personally prefer WP8.1, but W10M runs perfectly well on it. I strongly recommend you buying a 1520 - you won't regret it.

nabua27

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I have the AT&T variant(RM-940) and it runs windows 10 flawlessly and I would still recommend it even though it's a few years old. I would suggest that you should buy a rigid case (there is one in eBay for five bucks and it's an awesome case) to avoid the screen issues.

weaverly

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine over a year now. Got it when it was already a year old. I still love it. And I don't have a screen protector, just a heavy duty cover with kickstand. I've dropped this thing probably 12 times, like hard drops, and never a scratch on the screen. It's impressive. And it never slows down. I've not jumped to W10M with Insider Program, but am considering it. Getting tired of waiting and feeling reckless.

olewinhack

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I bought a 1520 on eBay last year and have been happy with it. One problem is that the sellers don't know how to tell the 16GB and 32GB models apart (use the settings storage sense) and sometimes claim a 32GB when it's not. I got the seller to give me back $20 (well he was cheaper than some alternatives and I knew that it was working) and I got a high perf 32GB microSD card to make up for it.

Ditto getting a case! Mine hits the floor frequently, as the size tends to catch on coats, seat belts, etc, and twist off the belt clip.

Dave.

halflifecrysis

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Buy a newer brown box one on eBay for 229.99 with a full refund policy. Test it thoroughly and enjoy. Don't risk used because too many are out there with ghost touch issues. And yes the thick case with kickstand by Amzure? Is recomended.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Buy a newer brown box one on eBay for 229.99 with a full refund policy. Test it thoroughly and enjoy. Don't risk used because too many are out there with ghost touch issues. And yes the thick case with kickstand by Amzure? Is recomended.

How do u know If it's a newer brown box one? They fixed the phantom touch on the newer ones?

Sent from mTalk

Jas Holden

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Anyone can shove a worn out and bent up old phone into a brown wrapper.

The best bet is to buy a used phone with the Green cover. The Green case was not offered for the first year. That means that the battery and all may be as much as one year newer....and can't possibly be as old as a White, Black or Red one MIGHT be.

A phone with the Green case can't be any older than 15 months.

halflifecrysis

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
How do u know If it's a newer brown box one? They fixed the phantom touch on the newer ones?

Sent from mTalk

Brown box is just a terminology, they are usually listed on Ebay as New > "Other" and it usually means they have been opened to be unlocked, but the seller has to state like new, out of package with full warranty (usually). They are typically priced 219.99 to 249.99. They won't say "seller refurbished" which indicates repair.

After buying 2 used ones in December that both had ghost touch issues and both I had to open cases with Pay Pal to resolve I ponied up for a "new one" and Green, Red and Black were options. I chose Black to match the one I bought at AT&T two years ago (which is like new, holds battery charge like new and has been a champ).

I believe the seller I bought from was intellicom1. Indeed it was in a Brown box, was unlocked, was the AT&T version and was flawless.

No matter what just make sure the seller has good feedback and accepts returns. I don't disagree that Green represents a safer bet if you buy used.

Last edited:

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Just returned my second 950 XL.
My banking app would not work on it.
Back to my L1520.2 unlocked AT&T version.
While I have other phones which have better hardware,
This is THE killer W10P IMO.
Also agree should buy a new one if possible.
eBay did have specials occasionally but it might be to late.
Good Luck.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm closing in on 1 year as a Lumia 1520 owner. I absolutely love this phone. The design is great, and the performance is fantastic.

If you desire a large display and a camera that can still run with the best of the 2016 flagships, then you will not have any regrets.

I feel that the phantom touch problem is over stated, that or I am lucky that my used Lumia 1520 came to me in perfect condition - and continues to operate perfectly. Still the best WP8 / Windows 10 mobile device in my opinion. I love the Lumia 1520!

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I bought myself a RM-938 and my wife a 32GB RM-940 earlier this year. They are both running Win10 Fast Ring. She is constantly commenting on how amazed she is at being able to go all day unplugged and still have 50% battery left when she plugs it in at night. She came from an iPhone and I've been a Windows ****** for a long time. I asked the same question here as you before I bought the 1520. Now I can proudly and confidently recommend the 1520 to anyone. I can happily wait for a flagship that warrants me leaving my 1520.

RWD

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Had mine going 2 years - Hong Kong version. It has never missed a beat. I keep it in a bumper case, with a screen protector. So far not a scratch on it, despite numerous falls, one from 6 feet into a tiled bath with the shower running. Fast, fluid, great pictures, and after nearly 2 years my battery still lasts all day.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
So yeah I am seriously contemplating buying a used 1520. Seriously my favorite windows phone(I've had like 50+ phones over the last 8 years and it was the only one I actually kept for nearly two years since it came out,so that's a testament of how good it is).

I was about to by the 950 xl but honestly it boresme now and it isn't that new to me and im just going to wait for this years flagship. In the meantime my alcatel OneTouch xl I got recently is alright but I hate it at the same time and my 640 xl(my second favorite windows phone) is shattered but usable. Thought about just buying another 640 xl but then I was like why not get a 1520.

They are $150 on ebay.....

Is it recommended to buy one? Its not something I plan to keep past this year.

- does windows 10 run well with it? I haven't used a 1520 since the first insider build which was not that great but it improved so much since.

- do you recommend it still in 2016?

The only thing stopping me really is the damned screen issues. It was precisely the reason I got rid of mine....i was tired of it freaking out. But In spite of it, a 2013 windows phone is still overall the best windows phone to date lmao

Posted from Windows Central for Windows 10

Hi,

Yes, as a lumia 1520 owner myself I can recommend you buying the 1520 today even second hand. Offcourse do be critical that you don?t buy phyiscally borken hardware, so Always ask the seller if you can see the device in person if possible.
1. Windows 10 mobile official release should run well on the 1520. The official release build is stable, but there are some minor bugs that need ironing out
2. I can still recommend this Phone in 2016. I still use it in 2016 and it words great.
3. I don?t know what you mean about the xcreen issue, but I?ve never had major screen issues on my device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs