OS 122, Firmware 38 and a hard reset

gsjansen

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I have been having some serious issues with my dual sim 950 xl since updating to OS .122, and firmware 38.

My camera and photo app stopped working reliably. when I took a photo, it took forever to show up in the photo app. the color of the photographs were horribly orange, and if I took more than 7 pictures in a short time, the phone would shut down, and could only be restarted by removing the battery............grrrrrrrrrr......

Groove music would not stayed signed in. if while listening to music, and I answered a call, it would log out, and would take sometimes up to 5 minutes to relog in........double grrrrrrrrrrrrr........

I was getting random shutdowns unrelated to the camera, (even at night while it was plugged in and charging............and for the 1st time since I've had the phone, (November 2015), I was really losing faith in the whole mobile 10 experience.

Last night I decided to do a hard reset, and install clean, not from my backups.

I have to say, the phone is now a completely different reliable machine! all camera and groove issues have disappeared, the phone has been running smoothly all day. and battery life seems to have improved as It is telling me that I am now getting 31 hours on a full charge!

When I had originally set up the phone, I did it with a back up from a windows 8.1 lumia 925. When I did a hard reset back in January to get the latest firmware available at that point, I also used my back up.

This time, I did it clean, and I am so glad I did. It takes the same amount of time to set up the phone clean, or from a backup.

My recommendation to all those experiencing issues with your phone, particularly after updating to OS .122, and firmware 38, is to do a clean reset.

Yesterday I was going to throw the phone out the window.....today, it is truly performing as the best phone I have ever owned!

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I have been having some serious issues with my dual sim 950 xl since updating to OS .122, and firmware 38.

My camera and photo app stopped working reliably. when I took a photo, it took forever to show up in the photo app. the color of the photographs were horribly orange, and if I took more than 7 pictures in a short time, the phone would shut down, and could only be restarted by removing the battery............grrrrrrrrrr......

Groove music would not stayed signed in. if while listening to music, and I answered a call, it would log out, and would take sometimes up to 5 minutes to relog in........double grrrrrrrrrrrrr........

I was getting random shutdowns unrelated to the camera, (even at night while it was plugged in and charging............and for the 1st time since I've had the phone, (November 2015), I was really losing faith in the whole mobile 10 experience.

Last night I decided to do a hard reset, and install clean, not from my backups.

I have to say, the phone is now a completely different reliable machine! all camera and groove issues have disappeared, the phone has been running smoothly all day. and battery life seems to have improved as It is telling me that I am now getting 31 hours on a full charge!

When I had originally set up the phone, I did it with a back up from a windows 8.1 lumia 925. When I did a hard reset back in January to get the latest firmware available at that point, I also used my back up.

This time, I did it clean, and I am so glad I did. It takes the same amount of time to set up the phone clean, or from a backup.

My recommendation to all those experiencing issues with your phone, particularly after updating to OS .122, and firmware 38, is to do a clean reset.

Yesterday I was going to throw the phone out the window.....today, it is truly performing as the best phone I have ever owned!

Hey gsjansen, thank you for the insight... can I ask how long it took you to do the hard reset, and get everything up and running again? Also, any tips for person that has not ever done a hard reset (Like: 1. what data will I lose? 2. pre-hard restart start suggestions? 3. where I can find the Data that was lost during the Hard Reset? Anything that you observed that proves useful?).

Thank you again, and cheers to your trouble free phone!

gsjansen

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
The process of doing the hard reset is fairly straight forward.

Before you start, just make sure you write down your email account settings, (server, domain if you have an exchange account, as this will be the one thing you will need to set up manually once you are done)

Go to settings >system>about.....scroll to the bottom and select reset your phone.

Follow the directions which include entering your pin #.

When offered the option of restoring from a backup or clean installation to start fresh, select clean installation.

The time it took for the phone to complete the reset was about 30 - 45 minutes.

after this is done, set up your email, and then check the store for app updates.

This will take about anoth 15 minutes to complete updating the core apps.

To get back your non core apps, go to the store, and select my library. This where you will find all the apps that you own. Download the ones that you want/need immediately. This takes about another 20 minutes.

Then set up your start screen the way you like it, and viola!

The whole process took me about 2 hours to complete. Pretty much the same amount of time that it took me back in January to restore from a backup.

After 6 days, my phone is still working solidly after I did the clean restore!

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
The process of doing the hard reset is fairly straight forward.

Before you start, just make sure you write down your email account settings, (server, domain if you have an exchange account, as this will be the one thing you will need to set up manually once you are done)

Go to settings >system>about.....scroll to the bottom and select reset your phone.

Follow the directions which include entering your pin #.

When offered the option of restoring from a backup or clean installation to start fresh, select clean installation.

The time it took for the phone to complete the reset was about 30 - 45 minutes.

after this is done, set up your email, and then check the store for app updates.

This will take about anoth 15 minutes to complete updating the core apps.

To get back your non core apps, go to the store, and select my library. This where you will find all the apps that you own. Download the ones that you want/need immediately. This takes about another 20 minutes.

Then set up your start screen the way you like it, and viola!

The whole process took me about 2 hours to complete. Pretty much the same amount of time that it took me back in January to restore from a backup.

After 6 days, my phone is still working solidly after I did the clean restore!

gsjansen, thank you for this informative information, and the time it took to write it.

Cheers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos