Lumia 920 slow - Loading Screens, Tiles take some time to load etc - Is this normal?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Good evening.

I've a Nokia Lumia 920 (Lumia Denim, Accessories Agent 3.0.3.0, Firmware Update Notifier 1.2.17.0)

The problem is every time I open an application there is a Loading screen, and some times it takes almost 10 seconds to open one application (for example, Telegram Messenger).

When I scroll down in the start menu, the tiles take like half a second to load.

Locking/unlocking the phone takes a second or more as well.

My question is, is this normal for the Lumia 920?

Regards.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
No, this isn't normal. Try performing a soft reset [link] and see if it solves your issue. If things do not improve then backup your data and perform a firmware restore using Windows Device Recovery Tool. If you have any additional questions kindly register on the site (hey its free!) and post back.

Pretec

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I'm already registered but forgot to login.

I've already performed a soft reset, do you have instruction how to perform a firmware recovery with Windows Device Recovery Tool?

Regards.

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I did experience that before moving up to Win10. My fix was: For the Tiles taking time to load when scrolling through the Start menu: Reduce the number of pinned apps on your SS(start screen) to just the first page or maybe just one roll after the first page. For the loading screens when opening apps, locking/unlocking the phone taking time, hard reset (without restore, unfortunately) fixes that. I suspect age telling on the device being the problem. Even on Win10, having too many pinned tiles on the SS still causes the tiles to flicker when scrolling the SS.

Pretec

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I did experience that before moving up to Win10. My fix was: For the Tiles taking time to load when scrolling through the Start menu: Reduce the number of pinned apps on your SS(start screen) to just the first page or maybe just one roll after the first page. For the loading screens when opening apps, locking/unlocking the phone taking time, hard reset (without restore, unfortunately) fixes that. I suspect age telling on the device being the problem. Even on Win10, having too many pinned tiles on the SS still causes the tiles to flicker when scrolling the SS.

So does installing Windows 10 solve some problems?
I've to go through the insider route I guess...
The hard reset without restore is a pain, I've so many messages and everything else I don't want to simply lose.

Regards.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
If you're on Denim then backup your data and preform a hard reset. Then download windows insider and upgrade to build 10586.122. After the upgrade perform a hard reset again. Sep your device and also keep on checking for app updates, especially for the system apps. After all the system apps have been updated then start restoring all your backed up files along with setting up your device for daily use. The 920 cannot handle large number of live tiles and high resolution display scaling on the screen so make sure you stick with at most with the 3 tile layout (maximum for WP8.1).

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
So does installing Windows 10 solve some problems?
I've to go through the insider route I guess...
The hard reset without restore is a pain, I've so many messages and everything else I don't want to simply lose.

Regards.

Yes, Windows 10 solves most of the problems except the issue with too many Tiles on Start Screen and also yes, you have to go through the Insider route for Windows 10.

Hard reset without restoring backup will still give you your messages and contacts. Provided you signed in with the same MS credentials you are currently using during initial setup after reset.

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
If you're on Denim then backup your data and preform a hard reset. Then download windows insider and upgrade to build 10586.122. After the upgrade perform a hard reset again. Sep your device and also keep on checking for app updates, especially for the system apps. After all the system apps have been updated then start restoring all your backed up files along with setting up your device for daily use. The 920 cannot handle large number of live tiles and high resolution display scaling on the screen so make sure you stick with at most with the 3 tile layout (maximum for WP8.1).

Yeah, I'll also recommend you move up to Win10. It's very stable now for everyday use on L920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa