Question: Lumia Camera vs. Windows Camera

anon(8547461)

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
So I went back to a Lumia 1520 (rm-940 BTW) after a few months away... and I couldn't be happier. However one thing, and I'd like to get some opinions/suggestions:

Loaded Windows 10 and immediately did a hard reset... phone works like a champ. Fast, no weird battery issues, things are working fine, but I did find one curious thing. When I loaded the phone and updated Lumia Camera, it of course disabled it. So I fiddled around with Windows Camera... took dome great shots... took some not so great shots on Rich Capture mode (and some photos that were flat out corrupted). Now here's the odd thing. I took one really great shot with my wife and kids in front of our church, and noticed something. Sure enough the photo was in RAW format, but the file size was only 6MB compared to the normal 20MB for RAW photos I've taken in the past with the 1520 using Lumia Camera.

I decided the performance of Windows Camera was too spotty for me so I did a hard reset and went back to Lumia Camera, never updating it. I have had absolutely ZERO issues with Lumia Camera since I restored so I had a few question:

1) Are people more or less using Lumia Camera until the universal Camera app is more consistent?

2) I'm assuming Camera is using a different algorithm or compression to reduce the size of RAW pics, is that right?

3) For those sticking with the universal Camera app what do you find are the benefits over Lumia Camera, and how do you work around some of the issues.

4) Is ProShot a good solution to some of the woes with the Camera app?

Thanks

Yancy

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1) Are people more or less using Lumia Camera until the universal Camera app is more consistent?

I'm still on 8.1 Update on my 1520. I am using Camera on a 640 so I can't address this directly as they are 2 widely differing modules. However, I'm finding Camera pretty good on the basic 8MP shooter of 640, including Rich Capture.

2) I'm assuming Camera is using a different algorithm or compression to reduce the size of RAW pics, is that right?

On 8.1 or 10... You aren't going to see the DNG file displayed in your Photos. And Lumia is using .dng not .raw. Raw, I believe refers to a shot without Rich Capture. It's in the file name and not an extension when you see it, correct?

What you are looking at is the 5MP oversampled image made as a .jpg. To see the .dng image you need to use Rawer on the phone or export it to desktop and open it with a suitable editor.

3) For those sticking with the universal Camera app what do you find are the benefits over Lumia Camera, and how do you work around some of the issues.

Rich Capture is a tricky beast on 8.1 or 10. A lot of times you sort of have to watch the screen. A slight change in angle can make or break a photo. Remember to try tilting the lens slightly, especially away from a strong light source that combines to overpower the +ev and 0ev which the -ev will never compensate for as it is outvoted in the HDR merge.

Not sure what other issues you are wanting to discuss on this one.

4) Is ProShot a good solution to some of the woes with the Camera app?

I always try and load up on camera Apps. ProShot is generally great when you have a lot of time to compose. Or a custom setting saved for things like forced ISO 100 in low light (which 1520 struggles with).

IMHO, Camera360 Sight is a great point and shoot App, Fast deploy and capture, easy menu that covers the basics, nice filter packs.

I like Sketch Camera too. Intellicam voice trigger has some uses. The more the merrier I say. Load up. No one camera App is the magic solution for all uses.

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I like that Windows Camera has the ability to shoot in full 20MPs (or 16/19 depending on your resolution choice). I always felt 'meh' about having to choose between a 5MP oversampled or 5MP+the high res jpg. I just want my full resolution picture, and that was too much to ask for Lumia Camera. More often than not, I like how the pictures come out on Windows Camera better, but Lumia Camera is miles ahead in stability. If it could shoot in full resolution I would keep using it, honestly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa