On the Lumia 640, how do I extend the incoming ringtime?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

lumia 640 how to extend incoming ringtime

present ringtime about 10 secs

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's actually set by the carrier... And you can change it.

Open the Phone App and dial *#61# then press "Call"

This gives you a screen like so:

wp_ss_20160307_0002.png

You can verify how long the phone rings, mine was 20 seconds by default on Straight Talk and Cricket. 20 seconds seems to be the norm now.

Make note of the +xxxxxxxxxxx number. I mean literally, write it down. > tap Close.

Dial **61*+xxxxxxxxxxx*11*yy then press "Call"

This will instruct your network. +xxxxxxxxxxx needs to be the number showing from your lookup and yy is the number of seconds you want the phone to ring. It must be in 05 second increments and you can only go to a max of 30.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
*#61# "call" does not work? It should.

Can you verify you dialed it right: * # 6 1 # (no spaces) and then you tapped the "Call" button?

What happens when you do that? It should work on any GSM network.

RumoredNow, it "works" for me on AT&T, but does not give the expected results. Here's a screenshot of what I'm getting.
wp_ss_20160311_0001.png

I'm all like, "What is that supposed to mean, exactly?"

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
RumoredNow, it "works" for me on AT&T, but does not give the expected results. Here's a screenshot of what I'm getting.
View attachment 123523

I'm all like, "What is that supposed to mean, exactly?"

Looks like they are outlining the dimensions of the ball-park. Same ball-park though. "Forward if" statement.

@rhapdog - if you have time could you test?

Use the program portion of the hash code and program 5 seconds ring time. Take a call. Reprogram for 30 seconds, take a call.

I'll be your best friend...

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Use the program portion of the hash code and program 5 seconds ring time.

Ahem! Got to have the number to program first. It doesn't provide said number. :p

Now, if I go into phone settings, is that the "default voicemail number" listed? It gives me a number there. If that's the same, then I'll give it a shot.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The number revealed by the hash code = the forward to for my YouMail.

So if you have the ability to lookup the number forwarded to for your VVM service, that would be the +xxxxxxxxxxx

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, I think I'm just not going to mess with it at this time. Seems AT&T has disabled forwarding on their end for some reason, so until I get that straightened out through them, I'll hold off. I need that forwarding ability, and am supposed to have it. It was present on my last 640.

LumiaGuy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: lumia 640 how to extend incoming ringtime

I'm on AT&T GoPhone service and after an extensive Google search could not find any instructions that I was willing to trust to try to adjust the ringtime.

I called GoPhone Customer Service and was told the ringtime for the AT&T 640 can be extended to a maximum of 30 seconds but only by a CSR, not by the User.

Went ahead and had them make the change, shut my phone off for a few minutes and now have 30 seconds of ringtime before voicemail kicks in.

Last edited:

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

I'm on AT&T GoPhone service and after an extensive Google search could not find any instructions that I was willing to trust to try to adjust the ringtime.

I called GoPhone Customer Service and was told the ringtime for the AT&T 640 can be extended to a maximum of 30 seconds but only by a CSR, not by the User.

Went ahead and had them make the change, shut my phone off for a few minutes and now have 30 seconds of ringtime before voicemail kicks in.

The reason it can only be done by a CSR and not by the User s because they have put in a special Firmware on the phone to lock you out of it, and they do not want to share their codes with you to change it. That's because they want to punish people who buy their phone just to use it on another network.

Makes me want to flash it to unbrand it. Then it would work.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

The reason it can only be done by a CSR and not by the User s because they have put in a special Firmware on the phone to lock you out of it, and they do not want to share their codes with you to change it. That's because they want to punish people who buy their phone just to use it on another network.

Makes me want to flash it to unbrand it. Then it would work.

Kind of itching to unbrand my unlocked 640 Go Phone as well. Didn't you unbrand a previous phone successfully a while back?

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Kind of itching to unbrand my unlocked 640 Go Phone as well. Didn't you unbrand a previous phone successfully a while back?

Yes, I did. Unbranded a 635. I had a backup for it before I tried it, though, and I lost my 640 backup yesterday when my wife decided to take ownership of it, as she wanted to upgrade from the 635.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

Yes, I did. Unbranded a 635. I had a backup for it before I tried it, though, and I lost my 640 backup yesterday when my wife decided to take ownership of it, as she wanted to upgrade from the 635.
Hope she enjoys it. Still dumbfounded at what a value I got with this $30 640!

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank you MUCHLY!!!
Worked perfectly. I'll do my wife's this evening. Too bad the max couldn't be 40!
Where do you find these dialing codes, if you don't mind my asking?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6