3 Months with the 950XL (please respond with your experiences)

Calm Wishbone

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
After 3 months of owning a Lumia 950XL I cannot help but feel I've been well and truly mugged by Microsoft.

It's been a torrid time, especially after 20 months of trouble-free phablet fun with the Lumia 1520. I would realy like to know if anyone else has has been as disappointed with the phone as me and what you have done about it that I have not.

Rather than ramble on I'm going to just list what went wrong and when:

*December 2015 - Purchased online from Carphone Warehouse. Arrived 11th.
*Mid December 2015 - The much-reported "squeaking" sound from the battery cover that doesn't fit properly. Remedied by a hard protector but disappointing for a supposedly premium phone.
Mid/End December - Squeaking too much - purchased Mozo battery cover. Noticed a vibration in the phone when tapping near the top of the screen that's not present when tapping at the bottom.
Early/Mid January - Mozo case arrived but there's still an audible squeak.
Early/Mid January - Despite Insider updates this phone still runs hot.
End January - Tapping vibration too much to ignore - returned to Microsoft for repair/replacement
Early Feb - Phone is returned - informed "new board fitted" but unit has an audible rattle from the camera lens.
Mid Feb - Phone returned to Microsoft for a second time.
Mid/End Feb - Phone comes back with "no fault found" letter - create and post a video on Twitter demonstrating the audible rattle/vibration.
End Feb - After a week of waiting for MS to call me back to deal with the escalation, I finally lose my temper and demand a replacement, not another failed repair, which was all that was offered initially.
End Feb - Phone goes back to Microsoft for the third time.
Early March - Replacement phone arrives, seems okay on initial use but quickly it's apparent neither the OEM battery cover nor the Mozo cover fit snugly and the squeaking is back. While there's no longer a rattle, the phone still runs hot despite update to .107.

Three months...although it wasn't in use for half of that...and while the OS is far more stable that it was 3 months ago, this handset/model has a few pretty major defects for a phone that costs as much as it does. I have a backup Lumia 550 which doesn't exhibit any of the screen vibration, rattling or heat issues.

Has anyone else been so underwhelmed and disappointed with the 950XL? After 3 returns to Microsoft I'd have hoped for better but sadly no...

fpostrow

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
After 3 months of owning a Lumia 950XL ...

Has anyone else been so underwhelmed and disappointed with the 950XL? After 3 returns to Microsoft I'd have hoped for better but sadly no...

No. Love my xl. Mozo case is primo awesome. No squeaks or rattles. Software has been updated relatively quickly and I am very pleased with the direction. In particular Continuum is a fantastic additional direction that clearly HP has taken to the next level by, of all things, going back to their iPaq days. Oh what could have been.

Azensun

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I've been very happy with my 950XL (unlocked). I was given a 640 XL for Christmas as a "toy" and found I couldn't put it down! I joined the Insider program shortly after and really began to like it even more. As soon as I realized I was using it more than my daily driver, I purchased the 950 XL and made the transition. I have absolutely no regrets!

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I've had my 950XL for a month now. Updated software to 107 then 122 and now happy with performance and battery life. Only real grumble is the quality of the back covers. I have however banished the creaking by strategic placement of thin card held by very small amounts of blu tac. Back still doesn't feel premium but is now rock solid and creak free in use. Took some trial and error but it works...

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Redstone on my 950xl is terrible. Battery life is about 4 hours, excessive heat, camera app just stinks, random restarts, won't wake from Glance, no tap to pay, no double tap to wake, wifi inconsistent. What a flagship

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Redstone on my 950xl is terrible. Battery life is about 4 hours, excessive heat, camera app just stinks, random restarts, won't wake from Glance, no tap to pay, no double tap to wake, wifi inconsistent. What a flagship
Mike, why don't you roll back to 122 on the preview ring. It's much much more stable and battery life is excellent. I lasted half a day on Redstone. Really is to buggy to rely on day to day.

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Wow! I feel bad for you having all that trouble. I must say the product support for Microsoft products is hit and miss, though when I deal with the store directly they always take care of me. I bought an Assure plan when I got the phone so if anything goes wrong I just get a new phone. That said I've had no hardware issues with my 950xl that warrant an exchange.

My case slightly squeaked when I first got it (mid-December). I stuck some pieces of sticky note on the inside corners of the case and it hasn't been an issue since. Phone occasionally gets warm & I find it's either the camera or photos app that wasn't shut down. I know it gets warm but on the other hand I'm glad to have a fast CPU.

Calm Wishbone

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies...this is my third 950XL so clearly I'm getting them from a bad batch. Never had a moment of woe with my 1520...I do miss it. Mozo case is going back (second time) because the camera button isn't aligned properly so doesn't work. Clearly I am cursed.

Last edited:

taphius

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Pretty much matched my experience on launch day (I preordered mine, ended up returning in the second week for a refund).

Just ordered a new one with B&H being $100 off and having a $50 gift card for them. Hoping for better things as I am tired of Android (running a 6p right now)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had no real problems with mine since day one. I've been pretty much running on fast ring builds too.

There's been a few times when the phone has refused to wake from sleep, but not enough to cause any concern.

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Same here, all fine with my Lumia 950XL - at least not enough to be a hassle.
Also sometimes not waking up, but very rarely. Being on the fast ring all the time, also with Redstone builds.

Are the guys having software problems using backups which date back to 8.1?

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have had my 950XL since late November, and I am loving it...best phone I have ever had. I had random reboots with 107, but not that I am on redstone and the latest firmware, I have not had a reboot that I am aware of. I have had some instances of overheating over the months, but I have solved them. One time I saw the messaging app was using a lot of the battery, and even rebooting it did not help. I ended up disabling it being able to run in the background, and the phone cooled down. Later I turned it back on and all was well. I think overheating and battery issues, at least for me, have been apps or processes running out of control in the background. I normally still have 40% left on my battery at the end of very long days. Now I do not play games, and am not the heaviest user, but I use it regularly. I also stop all programs from running when I am done with them most of the time, something I learned from my earliest windows phones. The only real issue I have is that the screen is not perfectly flat in the corners so I have problems with glass screen protectors, but I am living with that since the phone is working so well.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Same here, all fine with my Lumia 950XL - at least not enough to be a hassle.
Also sometimes not waking up, but very rarely. Being on the fast ring all the time, also with Redstone builds.

Are the guys having software problems using backups which date back to 8.1?

Nope, hard reset, fresh install. I'm lucky to get 4 hours use. Prob need to warranty trade

teiva

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I've had my 950XL for over a month now. I was on RS1 .1004 with the latest firmware but really missed the speaking messages whilst on Bluetooth so I reset back to Production TH1 .164 and everything is running very smoothly with good battery life so far. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I've had my 950XL for over a month now. I was on RS1 .1004 with the latest firmware but really missed the speaking messages whilst on Bluetooth so I reset back to Production TH1 .164 and everything is running very smoothly with good battery life so far. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

When you go back, is it a hard reset? I hate to lose my data

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I have a brown leather mozo case and the black cover the phone came with. The black cover can squeak if I put it on wrong. It seems that you need to insert the phone into the button side first and then snap the corners first. How you do this will result in either squeaking or none. Last time I put it on really well so I don't have any squeaking. There have been times where i placed it on and the squeak was insane. It's all about how you put it on.

Mozo one doesn't seem to matter as it never squeaks for me.

mas999

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I find that the 950XL is a great device, the camera is super, sure the software has a few hickups but with each Major build of the insider software I do a hard restart and am happy.
The screen is good and the outlook etc function well for a business user
I want a choice that is not apple or Android which the phone carriers want to sell in droves.
I like windows 10 and tough the Mobile version has a bit to go it is getting there
The insider program is positive and listens to feedback, why not try sending feedback via the app
Re the build quality, yes I thought it was flimsy at first but it stands up to daily abuse (i'm hard on my phones) and it still works...

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
My experience with the 950 XL Dual Sim has been mediocre. But I believe some of that was extremely high expectations. After all, it's the most expensive "phone" I've ever purchased. So expectations are high coming from 640XL. What I'm miffed about are some missing features available on dirt cheap phones. Double-tap to wake anyone? Speaker quality (minor rattles at higher volume). Placement of volume/Power. Case creaking noises. Maybe I'm nitpicking......But I'd expect better quality from Nokia products.

Most other stuff are really the OS. Oh the list is long.
Edge sluggish
Edge has no extension support (yet). Would really speed up with adblockers.
No way of managing bookmarks like in IE/chrome
Edge sync is horrible....I'd like to kill the designer. Has no option to sign into your MS Account for better sync'ing
Groove has no option to manually re-index your music if you add/remove songs
Groove is VERY slow to add/remove music even if you do it within the app
Need options to set default apps (Like setting UCBrowser is default, or Best Player for music, etc)
Need ability to edit HOSTS file for work and various environments

Continuum:
rather slow and various annoyances
Clicking anywhere causes Netflix app to crash (could be Netflix issue)
Apps crashes randomly often
Need options for mouse cursor and click speeds like desktop UI
Need language options for keyboard and virtual keyboard
Needs more right-click options (presently there are really none)
Needs options for right-click to close apps instead of the task view (alas it IS a phone OS after all)

Those are just a few issues. I've sent feedback already. Needs much more options and polishing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster