AT&T 950 vs unlocked from Microsoft

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
As the title suggests, what are the big differences between these? The AT&T variant seems to be riddled with bugs, judging by these forums and reviews. Are these mainly due to lack of firmware updates? Or are there other issues going on? Are there any drawbacks or issues using the MS unlocked variant on AT&T's network (besides footing the full cost of the phone up front)? Any loss of features?

Does the unlocked variant seem more stable, for anyone who has perhaps used both?

Azensun

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I learned a long time ago with other devices to never buy a carrier locked phone if I can help it. This is mostly because of bloatware and the inability to have updates pushed to the device until after the carrier "checks" it. I've never noticed lack of stability or any other issues simply because my device is locked/unlocked, so I can't really address that. But, I feel like I have more control over my device if I buy it from the vendor directly.

Link Kadeshi

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
A few quick notes from an Unlocked 950 user:

AT&T:
The problems some people are having are indeed fixed in later firmware drops. My 950 is much more stable and useful than when I first got it. It would seem AT&T phones are at the point mine was when I first booted her. Cortana needs to be disabled for some people. I am sure the list of drawbacks here is quite large. Probably most of which stems from the lack of firmware drops. That is on AT&T, not Microsoft, and is not subject to change anytime soon, frankly.

Unlocked:
As for drawbacks, Visual Voicemail is not functioning (as I read it, this might be fixed soon...ish....ly....), and something I've noticed on my Dual-SIM is the data usage being attributed to my second SIM card... Which is an empty slot. Oh, there are more, but I've been lucky with my unit. Besides a bit of extra battery drain, I'm doing decently.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
VVM is enabled with the latest Insiders Preview build. I have a dual-sim unlocked, and have deleted iSeeVM, and use the stock VVM app now. I am on ATT.

The only issue I am having with the VVM is that it won't connect to my car's Bluetooth, so I have to turn off BT, listen to a message, then turn it back on. Can't call directly from VVM either - have to go call log to make a call on BT. Works otherwise.

A few quick notes from an Unlocked 950 user:

AT&T:
The problems some people are having are indeed fixed in later firmware drops. My 950 is much more stable and useful than when I first got it. It would seem AT&T phones are at the point mine was when I first booted her. Cortana needs to be disabled for some people. I am sure the list of drawbacks here is quite large. Probably most of which stems from the lack of firmware drops. That is on AT&T, not Microsoft, and is not subject to change anytime soon, frankly.

Unlocked:
As for drawbacks, Visual Voicemail is not functioning (as I read it, this might be fixed soon...ish....ly....), and something I've noticed on my Dual-SIM is the data usage being attributed to my second SIM card... Which is an empty slot. Oh, there are more, but I've been lucky with my unit. Besides a bit of extra battery drain, I'm doing decently.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I am not finding any issues. I previously have also used a 930, and a factory unlocked 830 (RM-985) on ATT w/o issue.

As the title suggests, what are the big differences between these? The AT&T variant seems to be riddled with bugs, judging by these forums and reviews. Are these mainly due to lack of firmware updates? Or are there other issues going on? Are there any drawbacks or issues using the MS unlocked variant on AT&T's network (besides footing the full cost of the phone up front)? Any loss of features?

Does the unlocked variant seem more stable, for anyone who has perhaps used both?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The AT&T version is a completely different model number with the following differences.
- PMA charging in addition to QI
- "Tramp Stamp" on the back
- AT&T firmware updates are like a fine wine, appropriately aged before release.

vertigo_x

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm actually picking up an Unlocked 950 this afternoon. I will be qualitatively comparing them before I sell off the AT&T 950; I can post my impressions if I remember to.

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I did the same thing today myself. Opened the box, went through setup, and then checked for updates. Updates available for both the Operating System and firmware. What a nice change. I'll post if I see any issues with the unlocked version vs. the AT&T version.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I think I'll save money to purchase my next phone out rite. Which by that time will be an true Microsoft device.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
With respect to the Bluetooth VVM issue. Your car likely sees it as an audio stream and not a voice one. Have you tried switching the input on your audio system to the phone to see if that works?

I am having similar issues with Skype for business.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
It was on phone. The last update (14283.1000) broke this for me.

Small issue though - no complaints.

With respect to the Bluetooth VVM issue. Your car likely sees it as an audio stream and not a voice one. Have you tried switching the input on your audio system to the phone to see if that works?

I am having similar issues with Skype for business.

Link Kadeshi

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
VVM is enabled with the latest Insiders Preview build. I have a dual-sim unlocked, and have deleted iSeeVM, and use the stock VVM app now. I am on ATT.

The only issue I am having with the VVM is that it won't connect to my car's Bluetooth, so I have to turn off BT, listen to a message, then turn it back on. Can't call directly from VVM either - have to go call log to make a call on BT. Works otherwise.
See, I'm actually looking forward to having the stock one again, even though I think ISeeVM is probably better. You can have custom answer messages for each person, and can even have one that says the number dialed is invalid. Sadly you need to do the changes on the website (Only for Windows Mobile, though). I just like the better integration of the stock one.

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
The V.V.M. is still working for my AT&T L950 with 14283.1000. A previous build had killed it, and I, too, was using ISeeVM for a while. I am also glad to get the stock V.V.M. back.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The V.V.M. is still working for my AT&T L950 with 14283.1000. A previous build had killed it, and I, too, was using ISeeVM for a while. I am also glad to get the stock V.V.M. back.

It worked on my previous build. I went the 10586 route this time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb