OK, they are out of control on the builds now, can we get a clear explaination

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Ok, need some help on which builds go where. I see press release almost daily for new builds and my 950XL USA isn't getting them on the production, slow or fast ring.

I think they have two branches (phones upgrading from windows phone 8 versus new devices with windows 10 already on them??)

my OS build is 10.0.14267.1004
firmware 16025.39005

What's the latest for both, and any ideas how to get them. Windows Insider, doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Ok, did some digging. Looks like once you go Fast ring you are screwed. They have two totally different code branches which now scares the crap out of me...

Most probably you are on the INSIDER FAST RING that's why your phone updated on the newer branch which is 14267.xxxx.If you want to go to the 10586.xxx branch,you have to restore your phone and in the windows insider app select the INSIDER RELEASE PREVIEW

I would say stay away from the fast ring. I though it would be the latest production branch, but with faster builds and fixes. Generally you would think they would promote code in the following fashion....

Fast ring...let it bake....slow ring....bake some more...production ring....issues in fast or slow ring get fixed and the process starts back at the fast ring...

They are doing a total code fork, which means they will miss fixes for sure between the branches...poor software development methodologies going on here.

Now, I know all of you fanboys, saying you signed up for the fast ring, you get what you deserve, but when the OS ships at 80% completion they need a fast ring for getting the dog poo to work. They should have an alpha ring for what ever 10.1 is going to be.

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Fast Ring Builds will be 10.0.14267.XXXX
Slow ring builds will be 10.0.10586.XXXX

I would stay on the slow ring as it looks they are focused more on that for stability right now.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Looks like you figured it out pretty well in under an hour.

Fast ring is now Redstone development branch.
Other rings are Threshold 2 production branch.

This has been known and announced for some time now.

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so what is the least painful way to get back to Threshold 2? Will Threshold 2 eventually bump up to the 10.0.14267.XXXX range, or do you have to wait for Redstone to hit production?

FYI, the insider app is completely misleading...

Insider Fast versus Insider Slow. It doesn't mention that you are on a complete different code base Windows 8 versus Windows 8.1 for example....
Both say prelease, and the claim is that the slow ring get the release a little after insiders who select the fast ring. That leads one to believe the releases are the same, just that they stay of the fast ring for a little before hitting slow.

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Perfect, THANKS.

They should have pushed that to the windows Insider application to clarify what each ring meant. A simple text update would have helped.

I think what suckered me into the fast ring was VVM news release and I didn't realize the big branch. Oh, well I will stick it out on the fast ring. Hopefully they cherry pick up the MS Band2 Cortana fixes to the Redstone release soon.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
peashooter14 said:
Ok, so what is the least painful way to get back to Threshold 2? Will Threshold 2 eventually bump up to the 10.0.14267.XXXX range, or do you have to wait for Redstone to hit production?

For your first question: there is no "least painful" way, I'm afraid you will have to reflash your device with Windows Device Recovery Tool if you want to return to 10586.xxx branch (Threshold 2).

As for your second question, not sure to fully understand. Threshold 2 devices ("retail", aka non insiders) will upgrade to Redstone 1 (14XXX) when Redstone is released officially later this year. In other terms, VVM support on dual sim devices, etc. is coming to retail devices, but later, when RS1 is the new stable branch (it's the development one, or unstable). As for non W10M native devices (let's say a 640), as long as their baseline ROM on Microsoft servers are WP8.1 based, they won't get redstone builds (even in fast ring). But once they're upgraded officially to Windows 10 Mobile (TH2, 10586.xxx, probably 10586.164), then they'll be eligible to redstone fast ring.

I can understand your frustration of having been pushed to the development branch because you were in Fast Ring. Note that for non W10 devices, this won't happen or at least less. For instance, I have a Lumia 535, which was on Fast Ring. But to get the latest Insider builds I had to switch to Slow or Release Preview. If the 535 is soon officially upgraded to W10M and Microsoft pushes Redstone via the Fast channel, I won't receive it unless I explicitly switch to Fast (or until they push Redstone on Slow). That's the advantage of older devices lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise