Lumia camera app takes dark yellow pictures, Microsoft camera app better

tomseys

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
So I just got the 640 a few days ago and it's a good phone except for one thing, and that is the camera which takes dark "yellow" pics with everything on default. Compared to my 635, which is only a 5mp rear camera with no flash, the pics from the 640 are awful. I've noticed reading around others complaining of yellow pics and dark pics on the 640 and other higher models.

Anyway, so I also noticed that unlike on my 635, there is no Microsoft Camera in the app list to pin on your start/home screen to make it easy to get to on one press. However, I was able to access it by going to Settings/camera and photos and setting the default to microsoft camera.

This will allow you to access the camera from the notification screen, as long as you have chosen to include the camera to be listed there.

The microsoft camera app, at least on the 640, takes much better pics in my experience than the lumia camera app. On my 635, both do equally well, but on the 640, the microsoft app takes sharper non yellowed pics.

I've included two pics. They are both light challenged but this effect is consistent regardless of light. The yellowed dark one is taken using the lumia app and the better one imo is taken with the microsoft app with everything on default, no need to mess with settings, white balance or whatever.

A shame I can't pin the microsoft camera to the start screen.

Attachments

• WP_20160311_06_24_47_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160311_06_24_47_Pro.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 9
  • WP_20160311_008.jpg
    WP_20160311_008.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 9

silentghost1979

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Had the same on both the 640 and 535 both getting a yellow picture in darker situations. My 950 copes a lot better compared to those phone. Shame really as the 640 can take some brilliant photos in good light

Rahul Guliyani 92

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
So I just got the 640 a few days ago and it's a good phone except for one thing, and that is the camera which takes dark "yellow" pics with everything on default. Compared to my 635, which is only a 5mp rear camera with no flash, the pics from the 640 are awful. I've noticed reading around others complaining of yellow pics and dark pics on the 640 and other higher models.

Anyway, so I also noticed that unlike on my 635, there is no Microsoft Camera in the app list to pin on your start/home screen to make it easy to get to on one press. However, I was able to access it by going to Settings/camera and photos and setting the default to microsoft camera.

This will allow you to access the camera from the notification screen, as long as you have chosen to include the camera to be listed there.

The microsoft camera app, at least on the 640, takes much better pics in my experience than the lumia camera app. On my 635, both do equally well, but on the 640, the microsoft app takes sharper non yellowed pics.

I've included two pics. They are both light challenged but this effect is consistent regardless of light. The yellowed dark one is taken using the lumia app and the better one imo is taken with the microsoft app with everything on default, no need to mess with settings, white balance or whatever.

A shame I can't pin the microsoft camera to the start screen.

Can you upload the two photos? I own a 640 too and the images in low light are terrible

tomseys

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Yeah they should really list the Microsoft Camera App in the Application list like on the 635 so this way one can pin it to start for quick access since it seems to take much better pics on the 640. I bet someone not familiar with win phone would not even know of its existence since it not listed in apps and its not listed in the store either. The only way to launch the app is through notifications.

Last edited:

nithinRaj-730

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Having almost same problem with my lumia 830. The photos taken using lumia camera is not up to mark. But the Microsoft camera ,also the other camera aps like procam do a neat job. Formerly with my 520and 730, lumia camera was the best camera app.
I know the lumia camera app in 730 is different than that in 830. Rich capture and moment capture are there in this version, but the image quality is much less than Microsoft camera.
Does anyone feels the same.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I have to ask, are you on Windows 10 Mobile insider or 8.1?

I find this to be very interesting because in my experience with the 640, the Lumia Camera was better than the Microsoft Camera to me. It just makes me wonder which OS.

tomseys

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
My OS is 8.1 update 2 - is that denim?

I took more pics and actually, looking over them with another eye, it looks mixed. The Microsoft app did better on some and Lumia did better on others.

The camera is inconsistent. I prefer the 635. Seems to take better low light pics and is more consistent overall.

Last edited:

tomseys

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Had the same on both the 640 and 535 both getting a yellow picture in darker situations. My 950 copes a lot better compared to those phone. Shame really as the 640 can take some brilliant photos in good light

Very true. I took it out yesterday on a nice sunny day (using mostly Lumia camera app) and it took some very good pictures. Some lower light pics don't look so great.. dark and hued. I just try and get as much light in as possible and they look okay. It's also just generally a great phone for any price let alone $29.99. It has better call quality then my landline phone and it's fast.

Last edited:

Jim Bob4

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
No. But you can get the prerelease by installing the windows insider ap and joining the insiders. Worked fine for my unlocked att 640.

hamka787

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I prefer using Lumia Camera 4 than Lumia Camera 5 for indoors, it produces cleaner images. LC5 in my opinion is more noisy for the same ISO used.

hamka787

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I just checked the store, sad to say it's no longer there. I downloaded it to my L640 somewhere around July last year. My version is 4.10.0.4

tomseys

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Unrelated quick question: does anyone know when an unlocked at&t 640 phone will get windows 10?

Looks like the Here drive apps have been discontinued for windows 10 but not for 8. I think I'll stay on Win 8.1 till Microsoft Maps gets a built in voice turn by turn navigation set up. Be great if it could offer multiple routes like G and I believe the apple app does.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Stands to reason on small sensor phone cameras that indoor or heavily shadowed shots will be less acceptable.
For me the L640 camera seldom failed to disappoint in daylight.

Overall the Lumia 640 did a great job with photos in my opinion.
The 640 is a good center point phone for new users.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think I'll stay on Win 8.1 till Microsoft Maps gets a built in voice turn by turn navigation set up.

It's already there. Voice w/ turn by turn is in Maps on W10M and Maps is drawing its data from HERE database.

The key feature missing is import HERE Collections to Map Favorites.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos