my 950xl mysterically becomes a "000-88" after the 14283 update

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
mine was a "000-hk" before. I bought it in hong kong. after the latest fast ring preview build update, it becomes a "000-88", which means an international variant.

I just updated it for a while so haven't tested it thoroughly. some weird things noticed:

1, no cellular data! even I have data in my plan, I can't connect my phone to internet via cellular data

2, default home screen layout different from the hong kong variant

3, pre-installed apps are different too

4, most noticed, a strange message displayed during initial setup process:

connecting phone...

provision this device

we are setting up your phone so that it connects to the cellular network. it might take a little while so feel free to come back in a minute or two..

anyone encountered this situation?

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Now that is weird, did you have your sim installed in the phone when you did the update?
yes. sim was installed. let me tell the whole story.

at first, I updated it from 14267 to 14283. the update process completed without any error. but shortly I discovered I can't connect to cellular data. so I gave it a factory reset.

after the spinning gears thing, I got to the initial setup screen. the first language and region appeared was "traditional chinese (hong kong)", which was normal to me because my 950xl was a hk-variant. I switched it to "English (united states)" as usual. the phone restarted. the initial setup process continued. then I saw the weird message "we are setting up your phone...". after the setup process completed, I found the phone still couldn't connect via cellular network. besides, the default home screen was different from the one I used to see after reset.

I took out the sim, reset the phone again.

after the spinning gears and the initial setup process, finally come the home screen, which was the one I used to see after reset! shazam, scmp, flipboard and amazon were pre-installed which was normal for an hk-variant. but, even I inserted the sim back, the cellular connection still failed. I forgot to check the advanced info this time. I am not certain it was an 000-hk or an 000-88 in this situation. I gave it a hard reset again.

now it is an 000-88. I connected it to wifi and updated all apps. it behaves normally except it can't connect to cellular network. it can receive phone calls and sms. I can use WhatsApp. everything seems fine. I decided to test it for one day or two. after that I think I need to roll back to 10586 due to the cellular network issue. I don't know what is happening regarding this issue. I will report this via insider hub.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
yes. sim was installed. let me tell the whole story.

at first, I updated it from 14267 to 14283. the update process completed without any error. but shortly I discovered I can't connect to cellular data. so I gave it a factory reset.

after the spinning gears thing, I got to the initial setup screen. the first language and region appeared was "traditional chinese (hong kong)", which was normal to me because my 950xl was a hk-variant. I switched it to "English (united states)" as usual. the phone restarted. the initial setup process continued. then I saw the weird message "we are setting up your phone...". after the setup process completed, I found the phone still couldn't connect via cellular network. besides, the default home screen was different from the one I used to see after reset.

I took out the sim, reset the phone again.

after the spinning gears and the initial setup process, finally come the home screen, which was the one I used to see after reset! shazam, scmp, flipboard and amazon were pre-installed which was normal for an hk-variant. but, even I inserted the sim back, the cellular connection still failed. I forgot to check the advanced info this time. I am not certain it was an 000-hk or an 000-88 in this situation. I gave it a hard reset again.

now it is an 000-88. I connected it to wifi and updated all apps. it behaves normally except it can't connect to cellular network. it can receive phone calls and sms. I can use WhatsApp. everything seems fine. I decided to test it for one day or two. after that I think I need to roll back to 10586 due to the cellular network issue. I don't know what is happening regarding this issue. I will report this via insider hub.

Yup something definitely went awry somewhere, I wonder what version you will get through WDRT :confused:.

Keep us posted!

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't mean to point out the obvious but since I wasn't receiving cellular data at one point after installing one of the insider builds I thought I'd mention it.
Did you check to see if cellular data has been switched off? I don't remember which build it was but someone sent me a text with a photo attached and it wouldn't download. it took me about 30 minutes to figure out that cellular data had somehow been switched to off

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Yup something definitely went awry somewhere, I wonder what version you will get through WDRT :confused:.

Keep us posted!
it should be the latest production build 10586.xx.

except for the cellular issue, I like this build and the "000-88". it is simpler than the "000-hk". pre-installed apps are less. home screen default layout is more informative. below is the default home screen of "000-88":

wp_ss_20160311_0001.jpg

if you want to see the default home screen of "000-hk", just look at my icon in this forum....

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I don't mean to point out the obvious but since I wasn't receiving cellular data at one point after installing one of the insider builds I thought I'd mention it.
Did you check to see if cellular data has been switched off? I don't remember which build it was but someone sent me a text with a photo attached and it wouldn't download. it took me about 30 minutes to figure out that cellular data had somehow been switched to off
yes I have checked this. I tried toggle the cellular data off and on. I tried restricting the max speed to 3G or even 2G. all no luck. the indicator of cellular data in notification center is "on".

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if you need to manually enter your carrier's info for the cellular data? My wife had an issue on her 830 where when she hadn't used it for a couple of months, putting her sim back in allowed her to make calls and get SMS, but she had no cellular data... Once I copied the settings from my ATT phone to hers, cell data started working again.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm wondering if you need to manually enter your carrier's info for the cellular data? My wife had an issue on her 830 where when she hadn't used it for a couple of months, putting her sim back in allowed her to make calls and get SMS, but she had no cellular data... Once I copied the settings from my ATT phone to hers, cell data started working again.
thanks for your advice. i'll investigate it tomorrow. if I can fix this issue, i'll keep using this build and the "000-88" status.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
it should be the latest production build 10586.xx.

except for the cellular issue, I like this build and the "000-88". it is simpler than the "000-hk". pre-installed apps are less. home screen default layout is more informative. below is the default home screen of "000-88":

View attachment 123521

if you want to see the default home screen of "000-hk", just look at my icon in this forum....

I should have clarified, I was referring to the variant version :).

I thought you had already checked your APN settings, hence why I didn't ask.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Is it a single or dual SIM variant? I am assuming a single SIM since I do not see the SIM2 in the upper left corner. If it's a dual SIM, try in the other SIM slot. Otherwise I'd try a total WDRT nuke it.

What you could do is try to change the device product code to the 000-HK variant, run WDRT. It will put it back to 000-HK firmware/software.

HOW TO CHANGE YOUR PRODUCT CODE HERE:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...firmware-update-you-can-get-now-new-post.html

PRODUCT CODES HERE:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950-xl/410219-list-product-codes-lumia-950xl.html

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Is it a single or dual SIM variant? I am assuming a single SIM since I do not see the SIM2 in the upper left corner. If it's a dual SIM, try in the other SIM slot. Otherwise I'd try a total WDRT nuke it.

What you could do is try to change the device product code to the 000-HK variant, run WDRT. It will put it back to 000-HK firmware/software.

HOW TO CHANGE YOUR PRODUCT CODE HERE:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...firmware-update-you-can-get-now-new-post.html

PRODUCT CODES HERE:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950-xl/410219-list-product-codes-lumia-950xl.html
it's a single sim variant.

problem solved. I deleted the APN and added a new one again. the phone can connect to cellular data then. problem solved. though don't have idea what happened.

I love this build and I love the "000-88" status of my 950xl.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I have been using 950xl since nov-2015. it was bought in hong kong. it was a hk variant. it showed "000-hk" in advanced info before the 14283. i am familiar with what a hk variant behaves. many many subtle differences between 000-hk and 000-88.

the difference emerges first is the message "connecting your phone.." message during the initial setup process. 000-hk doesn't have that.

i like to sign-in after all apps have been updated so i did not sign-in during the initial setup process. i skipped when it prompted me to sign-in. in 000-88, even if i didn't sign in, the "setup Cortana" page still emerged. in 000-hk, no "setup Cortana" page appeared if you didn't sign in.

then it comes the home screen. as you can see in my profile pic, the 000-hk default home screen contains some useless tiles in my opinion. the "continuum" tile is useless. i am a heavy user of continuum. i use my 950xl as a computer in my work. i connect it to the dock 8 hours per day but i never touch the "continuum" tile. continuum mode establishes automatically every time i connect my phone to the dock. it just happens automatically. no need to set anything. no need to tap that "continuum" tile. what's the point of placing a continuum tile there? i don't understand.....

000-88 default home screen doesn't have the continuum tile.

another useless tile is the "camera". 950xl have physical camera button. i use that physical button every time i need camera. i never tap that camera tile.

000-88 default home screen doesn't have the camera tile.

besides these two, there are lumia creative studio, fitbit and lumia help+tips at the bottom of 000-hk's default home screen. i seldom use them. i use fitbit but i do not need to check it frequently. 000-88 default home screen doesn't have the lumia creative studio, fitbit and lumia help+tips tiles.

next to the "money" tile, 000-hk places the "news" while 000-88 places the "weather". the latter is more useful as a tile.

000-hk pre-installs amazon, south china morning post, gameloft hub, shazam. you will see them after a factory reset. 000-88 doesn't come with them.

in my view, the 000-88 is more "clean". i asked a question about how to get it:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...13610-where-can-i-buy-000-88-lumia-950xl.html

finally i get it, mystically.

wp_ss_20160312_0001.jpg

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have been using 950xl since nov-2015. it was bought in hong kong. it was a hk variant. it showed "000-hk" in advanced info before the 14283. i am familiar with what a hk variant behaves. many many subtle differences between 000-hk and 000-88.

the difference emerges first is the message "connecting your phone.." message during the initial setup process. 000-hk doesn't have that.

i like to sign-in after all apps have been updated so i did not sign-in during the initial setup process. i skipped when it prompted me to sign-in. in 000-88, even if i didn't sign in, the "setup Cortana" page still emerged. in 000-hk, no "setup Cortana" page appeared if you didn't sign in.

then it comes the home screen. as you can see in my profile pic, the 000-hk default home screen contains some useless tiles in my opinion. the "continuum" tile is useless. i am a heavy user of continuum. i use my 950xl as a computer in my work. i connect it to the dock 8 hours per day but i never touch the "continuum" tile. continuum mode establishes automatically every time i connect my phone to the dock. it just happens automatically. no need to set anything. no need to tap that "continuum" tile. what's the point of placing a continuum tile there? i don't understand.....

000-88 default home screen doesn't have the continuum tile.

another useless tile is the "camera". 950xl have physical camera button. i use that physical button every time i need camera. i never tap that camera tile.

000-88 default home screen doesn't have the camera tile.

besides these two, there are lumia creative studio, fitbit and lumia help+tips at the bottom of 000-hk's default home screen. i seldom use them. i use fitbit but i do not need to check it frequently. 000-88 default home screen doesn't have the lumia creative studio, fitbit and lumia help+tips tiles.

next to the "money" tile, 000-hk places the "news" while 000-88 places the "weather". the latter is more useful as a tile.

000-hk pre-installs amazon, south china morning post, gameloft hub, shazam. you will see them after a factory reset. 000-88 doesn't come with them.

in my view, the 000-88 is more "clean". i asked a question about how to get it:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...13610-where-can-i-buy-000-88-lumia-950xl.html

finally i get it, mystically.

View attachment 123602

Maybe an early Christmas present? :winktongue:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb