Rolling back to 8.1

Droska

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
After finally de-branding my phone, i decided to update to win10 using the Insider program, just to find bug after bug after bug.. so i decided to roll back to my old reliable 8.1 but the tutorial says that Lumia nor windows support tool will rollback my phone as they will recognize it as a AT&T phone.. and also Nokia support tool says my lumia 635 isnt supported.. i have already downloaded a "ROGERS variant" (No idea what does that mean) for rolling back, but i have any idea how.. help me please :crying:

bstardchild

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Surely easiest option is back up your important stuff and then "Hard reset"?

That should take it back to factory settings - if you've de-branded once surely that bit is easy after that?

Droska

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Surely easiest option is back up your important stuff and then "Hard reset"?

That should take it back to factory settings - if you've de-branded once surely that bit is easy after that?

That will only delete all the stuff in my phone, not bring me back to another version.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I also did the debranding on my ATT Lumia 635. It no longer shows as AT&T, and I can no longer revert it back to 8.1. I'm stuck with it on Windows 10 Mobile. The tools WILL NOT revert it if you have debranded it, because the tool gets confused. It looks in multiple places to find what it is.

I'm wondering, though, if we go through the debranding procedure to make it think it is the ATT phone again if it will be successful, even if it doesn't have the ATT ROM. Maybe the registry entries will be enough? Worth a shot later, when I have time. Probably some time next week. If someone else gets a chance to try sooner, let me know here.

While I really don't mind it being on Windows 10 Mobile, I was thinking of giving it to my mother-in-law as a backup to her current 635, which is a branded ATT 635 GoPhone. However, there are too many crashes on W10M on this 512MB device to just give to her, and she'll want the same OS she has now so that she doesn't have to "relearn" anything. I do have another 635 that was not unbranded, so I'll try to revert that one.

Droska

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I also did the debranding on my ATT Lumia 635. It no longer shows as AT&T, and I can no longer revert it back to 8.1. I'm stuck with it on Windows 10 Mobile. The tools WILL NOT revert it if you have debranded it, because the tool gets confused. It looks in multiple places to find what it is.

I'm wondering, though, if we go through the debranding procedure to make it think it is the ATT phone again if it will be successful, even if it doesn't have the ATT ROM. Maybe the registry entries will be enough? Worth a shot later, when I have time. Probably some time next week. If someone else gets a chance to try sooner, let me know here.

While I really don't mind it being on Windows 10 Mobile, I was thinking of giving it to my mother-in-law as a backup to her current 635, which is a branded ATT 635 GoPhone. However, there are too many crashes on W10M on this 512MB device to just give to her, and she'll want the same OS she has now so that she doesn't have to "relearn" anything. I do have another 635 that was not unbranded, so I'll try to revert that one.

I would be very grateful if you could post a tutorial in case you succeeded rolling back to 8.1, sadly, here in my country i cant afford to lose my phone while tinkering with the registry w/o a proper guidance, hope you can do it and i look forward to hearing about you again.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I would be very grateful if you could post a tutorial in case you succeeded rolling back to 8.1, sadly, here in my country i cant afford to lose my phone while tinkering with the registry w/o a proper guidance, hope you can do it and i look forward to hearing about you again.

Since this is just a "spare" now, I'm not worried about messing it up too much. However, thus far, I have been unsuccessful at my attempts and have given up trying as of today.

So, that being said, the only tutorial I can post is, "Don't de-brand it if you think you may ever need to roll back."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05