Best phone ever? seriously?

misc_images

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
For those saying this is the best phone ever, I'd really like to understand more as to why you have this view?

Firstly, I so want this phone to come good and will be keeping hold of it. I so wanted it to be good to accompany my pro3.

WM10 is a great interface and the camera is fantastic. the phone does have some good features but its just not finished. Here is my reasoning;

Many basic features just don't work;
NFC payment,
Visual voicemail
Printing from email.
printing to a reasonably new WIFI printer doesn't work - when other phones do.
Driving mode doesn't automatically disconnect. (in itself its a great feature)
reading txts via Bluetooth doesn't work - only get the announcements (again, great feature)

then there's the apps. Ok, so not going to get the breadth with other OS, but some core banking apps aren't available. storecard apps also not available. considering the audience, these should be available.

Native apps are shocking. Compared to the Outlook app on iOS, the native calender and mail apps fall well short.

don't get me wrong, the screen is great, camera fantastic and simple things like the swype keyboard as standard is good. Still not received the continuim dock after 3 months so cant comment.

its good, but certainly no cigar.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Windows Phone community has its own lineup of bias, die-hard fans, unsatisfied users, satisfied users, etc.

Poke on some more general comment sections etc, I saw someone who just kept extolling their Xiaomi Mi4c and calling Lumia's "useless foodstamp phones" and other phones overpriced.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
VVM is working under the Redstone load, so Microsoft knows how to fix it. Hopefully it will come to the threshold load as well.

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
For those saying this is the best phone ever, I'd really like to understand more as to why you have this view?

Firstly, I so want this phone to come good and will be keeping hold of it. I so wanted it to be good to accompany my pro3.

WM10 is a great interface and the camera is fantastic. the phone does have some good features but its just not finished. Here is my reasoning;

NFC payment,
Visual voicemail
Printing from email.
reading txts via Bluetooth doesn't work - only get the announcements (again, great feature)

then there's the apps. Ok, so not going to get the breadth with other OS, but some core banking apps aren't available. storecard apps also not available. considering the audience, these should be available.

Native apps are shocking. Compared to the Outlook app on iOS, the native calender and mail apps fall well short.

don't get me wrong, the screen is great, camera fantastic and simple things like the swype keyboard as standard is good. Still not received the continuim dock after 3 months so cant comment.

I don't like the iOS Outlook app. It looks like a regular Apple message app to me. It feels like I've been trapped in the iPhone 3G days. For banking apps, I use the Citibank website, it automatically uses the mobile friendly animated interface, which is cool.

I went to an event yesterday, and while everyone was snapping photos with their iPhones and Galaxies, they all returned it to their bags when they saw my shots.

gsjansen

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
with latest firmware (0038), and the latest production OS (.164), the phone has become rock solid.

Battery life is incredible, (I am now getting two days standby, and a solid 16 - 18 hours with heavy usage.

I am actually happier with youmails iseevm than I ever was with the standard visual voicemail that I was using on my 8.1 lumia 925.

I never used wifi calling in the past, so not having that feature, (at least yet), doesn't bother me in the least.

I did have some issues with the previous OS and firmware builds........but for the past week, the 950 xl experience far exceeds any other phone that I have owned.

The only outstanding features that have yet to be activated on the 50 xl, that I would like is double tap to wake, and flip the phone on it's face to silence an incoming phone ring. I loved those features on my 8.1 925, but the superior performance of the 950 xl outweighs those two cons.......

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I love window phone and windows 10 and i saved really friking hard so i could by one but the op is right sooo many features missing. even 8.1 stuff is missing like double tap & dont get me started on the windows 10 store i cant get half the apps i had with my 930, Where is panarma for instance and soo many more are just missing from the store with no replacments in sight.

im trying hard to push this WP10 to my friends and family but come on Microsoft throw us a bone & give us something good to shout about.

Thank you my rant is now over :)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm stating the somewhat obvious here, but most of these complaints are against Windows 10 Mobile and not the device itself.

Visual voicemail is a carrier enabled feature.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
See, it is missing a lot of stuff, but wait for build 2016.

Here's the thing though. I use my phone as my primary pc at this point in time. I have the dock connected to my monitor, keyboard, mouse. I just plug the phone in and start using it. Leaving somewhere? unplug phone and go. The best part is the dock was charging it. Anything I can't use I rdp into another PC. But it seems now more and more of the apps I use are starting to support continuum. At this point I only have a few apps that i'm waiting for continuum support. It will become fully functional to me. And more features will be added hopefully like window snapping for multiple apps on screen, etc.

That to me is a huge factor. I thought continuum would be useless and wouldn't change anything. But you really don't grasp it until you start using it and more apps start supporting it. It's no longer just a phone. Just like 2-in-1 laptops were no longer just laptops. It has a lot of potential.

And believe me at first I was a bit disappointed but it seems that all these apps are starting to come out recently. Funny thing is it's leading up to build. And build will apparently have some crazy announcements. Heck even spotify is going UWP.

I already know MS is working on OnePay. And this will support all major credit cards for tap to pay.
They are also working on a data only sim which would be really useful for my dual sim unit. I can keep 1 sim with provider as pay by minute and use data for everything else including skype.

The way things are going I don't think there will be a huge app issue eventually. I think most of the big guys will move over. Considering all new PC's/hybrids/laptops are coming with windows 10, it makes sense. And you could say developers won't publish for the phone, but it seems people are actually doing it. And they are doing it while windows phone shares are dropping. I think it's because of continuum. Normally they probably wouldn't have done it if this feature wasn't available. But I think developers see a lot of potential in it. And they saw how the 2-in-1 hybrid laptops eventually started taking off like crazy and are now the biggest sellers in the world of PC. The same thing could happen to these phones, especially as they gain more power. I mean my phone is running the snapdragon 810 and everything runs great. The 820 is so much more powerful, especially the gpu. And there are games that support continuum. Games like World of Tanks which are pretty high fidelity. Developers also know that 2017 is going to be a huge turning point for tech because of the better processes being developed for building low power cpu/gpus. Intel will definitely pull something together with MS. AMD is even targeting the low power market. So having really powerful 2-in-1 phones is going to happen. It will be a new category, just like the current 2-in-1's. That's why MS doesn't care about "phone" share. They aren't trying to create another phone.

darth furious

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
best windows phone ever.... not best phone ever. You may like your iphone or galaxy s7 more. That's the simple truth.

Name 1 windows phone that is better. the 1520.3 is arguable but for many the 950xl is the best windows phone ever.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Dude, just buy an iphone or live with it.

NFC payment,
Visual voicemail
Printing from email.

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site

NFC payment,
Visual voicemail
Printing from email.

I don't know, better is such a subjective word. Yes WM is better for me, my 6p is okay but android sucks, the apps are nice but overrated...
My icon takes better pictures, my 735 running WM10 has none of the issues your having with Bluetooth or printers.
The only problem in can find with it is Cortana goes to sleep on me and I have to shake her awake. I told the wife last night, Cortana needs to backup off of that blue bonic chronic. IT's making her choke.

teiva

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm loving the 950XL. The only app I miss is the Google+ one which I'm convinced will never come to the Win10 platform thanks to Googles head in the sand policy. The camera is great, the battery's good, the OS is now stable with the latest TH build and firmware. Is it the greatest phone ever? Nope. Is it the best Windows phone at the moment, definitely. I love the fact it's running an OS that is supported across many different delivery platforms (PC, tablet, Xbox and phone). People have a choice, enjoy the phone or use something else, it's pretty simple.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
WM10 is a great interface and the camera is fantastic. the phone does have some good features

don't get me wrong, the screen is great, camera fantastic and simple things like the swype keyboard as standard is good.

So all in all you think it's good.

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time getting the point you're trying to get through. You come in here just to tell us it's not the best phone ever created? If you was unimpressed with a Samsung would you visit the Samsung forums to tell them about it?

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Its more of personal choice and experience. I used both Android and iPhone earlier, none of them worked good for me, but I dont have time to go in their forums and write an essay about my exp :)

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
<snip>

NFC payment,
Visual voicemail
Printing from email.

<snip>.

Perhaps you mean that these are not available (at least most of them) since saying they don't work implies that they are features that are available but are broken.

It would be similar to me saying that many basic features of the iPhone don't work since Glance doesn't work, neither does continuum or live tiles. But that would be unfair since the iPhone doesn't have those features.

PhineasTD

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
W10m was released as a production ready OS and is why it's installed factory on the 950's but now also on older platforms. It's not in BETA, wasn't released early, but rather is filled with holes that MS is addressing as the feedback comes in. The scope of hardware compliance that Microsoft is stuffing into a mobile OS is staggering if you consider it (Think of all the mobile devices old and new), and that it functions is pretty darn amazing. I do agree that it feels incomplete misc_images, but would also expect improvements and changes considering the volume of builds and updates being steadily released. That said, I have my own frustrations with the operating system but they're rather acute and don't apply to most. The device (950xl) is a nice piece of hardware and quite capable, there's no denying that.

See, it is missing a lot of stuff, but wait for build 2016.

Here's the thing though. I use my phone as my primary pc at this point in time. I have the dock connected to my monitor, keyboard, mouse. I just plug the phone in and start using it. Leaving somewhere? unplug phone and go. The best part is the dock was charging it. Anything I can't use I rdp into another PC. But it seems now more and more of the apps I use are starting to support continuum. At this point I only have a few apps that i'm waiting for continuum support. It will become fully functional to me. And more features will be added hopefully like window snapping for multiple apps on screen, etc.

That to me is a huge factor. I thought continuum would be useless and wouldn't change anything. But you really don't grasp it until you start using it and more apps start supporting it. It's no longer just a phone. Just like 2-in-1 laptops were no longer just laptops. It has a lot of potential.

And believe me at first I was a bit disappointed but it seems that all these apps are starting to come out recently. Funny thing is it's leading up to build. And build will apparently have some crazy announcements. Heck even spotify is going UWP.

I already know MS is working on OnePay. And this will support all major credit cards for tap to pay.
They are also working on a data only sim which would be really useful for my dual sim unit. I can keep 1 sim with provider as pay by minute and use data for everything else including skype.

The way things are going I don't think there will be a huge app issue eventually. I think most of the big guys will move over. Considering all new PC's/hybrids/laptops are coming with windows 10, it makes sense. And you could say developers won't publish for the phone, but it seems people are actually doing it. And they are doing it while windows phone shares are dropping. I think it's because of continuum. Normally they probably wouldn't have done it if this feature wasn't available. But I think developers see a lot of potential in it. And they saw how the 2-in-1 hybrid laptops eventually started taking off like crazy and are now the biggest sellers in the world of PC. The same thing could happen to these phones, especially as they gain more power. I mean my phone is running the snapdragon 810 and everything runs great. The 820 is so much more powerful, especially the gpu. And there are games that support continuum. Games like World of Tanks which are pretty high fidelity. Developers also know that 2017 is going to be a huge turning point for tech because of the better processes being developed for building low power cpu/gpus. Intel will definitely pull something together with MS. AMD is even targeting the low power market. So having really powerful 2-in-1 phones is going to happen. It will be a new category, just like the current 2-in-1's. That's why MS doesn't care about "phone" share. They aren't trying to create another phone.

^ This hits the nail on the head for why I made my purchase but also is the source of my own frustrations. Continuum feels able but falls short of what I need from it. I was really hoping to see more support for more advanced software (beyond Office 2016) but it seems that there are significant limitations for the moment. I've resorted to going back to my laptop and due to that has back-burnered my use of the Lumia. It will be returned:unhappy:

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
For what it is worth, I just went from Build: 10.0.14267.1004 (nothing but trouble for me); to Build: 10.0.14283.1000, last night - and boy am I glad I did, everything is work great so far. I have not tried music over Bluetooth yet, so I don't know if that is fixed yet or not, but everything else seems to be humming along. It seems that I can actually start using it as the tool I purchased it for: I can access Onenote quickly; I can load Files on my SD card and view them, quickly; just uploaded a big File to Onedrive, and had immediate access to it via Excel on my 950XL... Best Build for me thus far, by far - this is the phone I wanted when I first purchased it...and it is STILL going to get better:)

You came VERY close to losing me Microsoft, but KUDOS, all is forgiven.

Signed: a VERY HAPPY CAMPER!

Cheers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa