The Lumia Icon's Insider Support Ends with Branch 10586

Grzenek

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Guys I'm running Windows Insider since Day One on my Icon. All works without major problems. Go ahead install it before its too late and enjoy.
MS will support it for sometime, looks like. There should be more phones coming so we can switch when the time is right.

gamerweirdo

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes, that's a screenshot from yesterday on my Icon using the "Upgrade Advisor" app. Unfortunately this is what I see when I try today (does not look promising):
wp_ss_20160318_0001.jpg

nx_2000

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Yes, that's a screenshot from yesterday on my Icon using the "Upgrade Advisor" app. Unfortunately this is what I see when I try today (does not look promising):
I got this message in subsequent runs of the adviser. The first time I ran it though, I saw this:

8Cb5EFL.jpg

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Here is why the Lumia 1020 (and likely other phones) are not getting Windows 10 Mobile | Windows Central

In other words, if you don't like some of the choices or directions Microsoft is making here you can lay the "blame" at your fellow Windows Phone users who evidently gave very honest feedback about the Insider experience.

I blame all of you. :wink:

But really, are the 930 and the Icon different enough to disqualify/qualify either one of them for an upgrade? I wouldn't think so. Just like pushing Cyan to the 930 shouldn't have been that different from pushing Cyan to the Icon. There's more to this than meets the eye. The Icon is an old phone, left in the dust by the carrier that had it as an "exclusive." This means fewer people now own it, it's not supported, and there's little incentive for Microsoft to fight for it to have an upgrade path forward.

richardeid

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't think a big enough deal is being made of the Icon not getting updated. There is literally no difference between the 930, the Icon, and aside from the screen size, the 1520.

{It looks like I can't post links yet but if you go to Phone Arena you can compare specs between these three phones.}

But performance-wise, these phones will all produce the same exact user experience when equipped with the same OS. Microsoft's statement about why certain phones won't be updated to W10M is reasonable enough, but it doesn't apply to the case of the Icon. Indistinguishable is correct...there's more to this than meets the eye. My guess is that the Verizon factor has come into play. Whether or not that means the Icon will never see the update remains to be seen.

The only hope I've seen so far was a reply to a tweet yesterday from Gabe Aul when asked about the Icon. His response was "not currently supported". Of course, this is as non-committal of a response as you will ever see, but I'm hoping what it means is that they are still working with Verizon to get the update pushed out but currently, as of the time of that tweet, there isn't an upgrade to W10M available for the Icon. Probably stupid of me to be so hopeful.

The Icon has got to be the most mistreated flagship of all time. If you assume that W10M will never officially hit the Icon, then it's fair to say that half of it's useful life was wasted away on WP8 while Verizon never pushed Cyan to it and we had to wait for Denim. Remember that the 930 shipped with Cyan. And of course now it's looking like we'll never see W10M. Honestly, some of the worst treated Android phones I've used have seen more updates than the single one this flagship Icon has gotten. And this phone only just passed the two-year old mark last month.

Regardless as to whether or not Verizon or Microsoft is making the final call here, it makes me really uneasy about pursuing an upgrade path in the Microsoft ecosystem in the future should the Icon be left out in the dark here. Who's to say that AT&T or other carriers, for that matter, won't fall from Microsoft's good graces and devices under those carriers won't suffer the same fate in the future? I really like Windows but it looks like I have a tough decision to make when I'm due for an upgrade.

richardeid

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Still can't post a link but Gabe Aul just tweeted that the Icon is being considered for upgrade. So I guess we still have some semblance of hope.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Actually there are atleast 2 differences between the 930 and the icon that I know of. The 930 is a multicarrier phone and isn't locked to the Verizon cdma and the 930 has a different screen that has the doubletap to wake function.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm probably leaving Windows Phone. I have two Icon's (one for me, one for the wife) and we have waited forever for a suitable replacement on Verizon but the 730 is not that phone. We're both Windows Insiders, but for work reasons we can't leave Verizon. The Insider program made this phone relevant for another 6 months at least!
Before we met we were Android users, switched to WP and got married during it all.

We'll be back...... maybe.......

Likely it requires a firmware update and Verizon refuses to test it. And when Gabe says "May be possible". You know what sucks about that? They will probably have to strike some deal with Verizon to do it. So next 950 XL verizon edition comes out with 820 snapdragon or something. But of course you can never trust verizon with firmware. At&T at least delivered for the 950 eventually.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Likely it requires a firmware update and Verizon refuses to test it. And when Gabe says "May be possible". You know what sucks about that? They will probably have to strike some deal with Verizon to do it. So next 950 XL verizon edition comes out with 820 snapdragon or something. But of course you can never trust verizon with firmware. At&T at least delivered for the 950 eventually.

The ONLY real hope for a high end phone on Verizon is the HP X3..... and I even question HP's past on supporting upgrades but, it might be one worthy to own...

950 and 950XL are a dream that does not look like it will ever happen on Verizon, and if it happens 2 years from now, I don't think I would even buy it, even if I still had my ICON because of the fact..

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The ONLY real hope for a high end phone on Verizon is the HP X3..... and I even question HP's past on supporting upgrades but, it might be one worthy to own...

950 and 950XL are a dream that does not look like it will ever happen on Verizon, and if it happens 2 years from now, I don't think I would even buy it, even if I still had my ICON because of the fact..

Well OS updates it would get, and I think given their target market they will push Verizon for firmware updates. Businesses are important. Especially for HP trying to rise from the ashes.

beerme1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I really like Windows but it looks like I have a tough decision to make when I'm due for an upgrade.

My upgrade from icon is not till Christmas so I have time to be patient even while losing patience lol. But a lot will need to improve by then for me to re up with another Windows phone. But that is my preference so I am really hoping by then the situation is far better by then. BoA coming back with a UWP is a good start to reclaiming me. Of course my Icon isn't on 10 though. Sonos would be great so we'll see.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I saw several users on reddit that owned 735's on Verizon and, when running the Insider app, got the exact same response that we are getting when running the app on our Icon's.

I'm now shuffling the blame a bit to Verizon. Could it be that the OTA updates that W10M phones will get in the future is problematic with Verizon, thus keeping ANY WP on Verizon from getting the update currently?

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I saw several users on reddit that owned 735's on Verizon and, when running the Insider app, got the exact same response that we are getting when running the app on our Icon's.

I'm now shuffling the blame a bit to Verizon. Could it be that the OTA updates that W10M phones will get in the future is problematic with Verizon, thus keeping ANY WP on Verizon from getting the update currently?

the blame lies with VZ imho, 2 years experience with my Icon on VZ's network has shown me how little interest VZ has with anything to do with the WP platform.

WP usage has decreased so I see no incentive for VZ to do a 180 now and start to support WP.

I have no confidence in VZ supporting any new WP and even if by some miracle there is a Surface/HP X3 flagship phone released on VZ I expect any WP models to be marginalized and neglected just like the Icon was :unhappy:

MrGecko

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
"Flagship Phone"; I will never trust that phrase again. Bought the Icon with the promise of the Denim update; 9 months to get that. Microsoft promises to release WM10 to ALL 8.1 devices; now that is not the case. It appears the Verizon & Sprint have it out for Microsoft. AT&T needs to run ads directly to Windows Phone users saying we don't discriminate, we update! July can't come fast enough to get out of my contract with Big Red.

Loving my Icon is getting harder to do. No update & Apps are still behind on MS. I cant even do any major banking on my device. My wife has Apple, my son has Android. Sons says you should play this game on your phone, I cant. Wife says check the bank account, I cant. Why do I even promote Windows Phone?

I don't even know in whom I am more disappointed in, Verizon, Microsoft, or myself for believing the hype.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo