The Lumia Icon's Insider Support Ends with Branch 10586

IcyPwnage

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Forgive me for asking the obvious, but... Because the Icon hasn't gotten the official Windows 10 update, we cannot try out the redstone builds?

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
The combination of (probable) no upgrade path and lack of windows phone options from Verizon (the only carrier I can get decent coverage with) finally pushed me over the edge and sent me back to my Note 4. Not a happy camper, since I've always preferred WP, but I'll be eligible to upgrade in November, so we'll see what's available then. Gotta say, with the way things are shaping up, it ain't looking good.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 950 XL came in today. So I drove on down to the corporate AT&T store nearby and switched my line over from Verizon. It's done. My Icon's wifi was getting more flaky anyways, and I don't know if that was software or the wifi going bad. In any case, Verizon lost me today. Thankfully, I'm in a well covered area for AT&T. I know there will be times I'll miss Verizon's signal, but I don't like being held hostage. So far the phone works great, and I'm loving it. Need to rebuild my start screen and load up all of my apps, but it's noticeably quicker than my Icon. Actually fits in my pocket better since it's thinner.

Hopefully, MS and Verizon will get this phone updated so that it can continue to be used by others for a while longer.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Are you saying you got the official update for the icon?

Interesting... I just installed the version that is being sent OTA...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

I apologize for the confusion...I didn't actually say I got it OTA from Verizon. I said, I got the version that is going to be sent OTA as the official build. (10.0.10586.164).

There is a third option now in Windows Insider, called "Insider Release Preview." I don't think the Icon will get the "official" update from Verizon. Verizon's update life cycle is generally only two years I believe.

I presume that "Insider Release Preview" is essentially the same as the old Developers Preview program. Does that clarify it a bit?

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site

interesting thread I may give it a try on my Icon especially now since my Icon has been relegated to my backup phone since I got a s7 edge recently

I wouldn't feel comfortable running it on a daily driver if the Icon was my only phone but it looks like this may be the only path to get redstone on the Icon because I have 0% confidence that the Icon will get any more support from Verizon/Microsoft

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Yep...Pretty sure I'm leaving too. Not getting any further builds made me start seriously looking at the situation, and I realized just how rarely I see a Windows Phone option for apps I'd love to use. Called VZ, I can upgrade early (not scheduled until January) as long as I turn in the Icon....which is why I'm kinda hesitating - I was thinking of keeping it and going back to 8.1 just for the camera and video, but I think I'm leaving for my VZ store soon to pick up an S7...

shawnmos

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
I have since switched to the 1520 since I am using T-Mobile (and was having issues with the Icon on T-Mobile), but I decided to try the registry hack on my Icon since I wouldn't be out anything if it didn't work. Changed phone name from Lumia 929 to 930 in the registry and it updated just fine to the latest redstone build. Pretty sure this will work to stay up to date with Windows 10, even if not officially supported.

For those of you still using your Icon I would give it a shot. Seems like you could change the name back to 929, restore via recovery, then upgrade to 10 if it's ever officially supported.

Running the same build on my Lumia 1520 and the performance is identical.

richardeid

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Just in case anyone is still curious, someone finally got a response about this issue from Gabe Aul:

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, thanks to a heads up from reddit, give the Upgrade Advisor app a try again. The message is different now . . .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss