Double Tap to wake, is it ever coming?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Really want this feature to return too. I'm hoping it's just a matter of enabling it via firmware. Never know when home/power buttons eventually wear out with excessive use... that goes for all platforms/hardware.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
People have been tweeting @gabeaul for months. His last response was early March, that they were looking at it...even @thurrott went after @northfacehiker a little recently about this feature for the 950 and XL

If you want this feature, tweet him...

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
People have been tweeting @gabeaul for months. His last response was early March, that they were looking at it...even @thurrott went after @northfacehiker a little recently about this feature for the 950 and XL

I tweeted gabe about it the other day, I'll tweet others about it to.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
well I guess it is time to spam them with requests... lol stupid Microsoft never listening to their user base lately

You know whats sad but demonstrates that MS is full of BS and frankly taking the p!ss, open up the feedback hub and search for "doublt talp to wake lumia 950/x"l and you get many separate requests all saying bring back this feature, yet MIcrosoft acts like it hasnt been requested time and time again. They only had to look at the feedback hub as they claim they do to know people DO want this feature, not sure which new magical feedback they now want people to upvote that will make them finally realize this. Not to mention several of those feedback requests actually have it marked as being received. Utter gits.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
a link to where we can vote?

Tried a few times, the feedback hub crashed every time, I'll try again later.

Edit: Tried copying the link, didn't crash this time but it only seems to link to the installed feedback app. feedback-hub:?contextid=329&feedbackid=5d6da7e7-0878-4bc5-81f7-59e9c3793325&form=2&src=2

Here's a screenshot:

b3a2245d79d66527796632aa4392ca3c.png

Last edited:

DenMag

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site

So recent tweet from Gabe says to up vote it in the Feedback Hub if we want it that badly on the 950. Looking in the Hub, there are numerous threads asking for the same thing, so the question is (and I know it's a dumb one) what is the true unique votes for this feature on the 950 line? Obviously Microsoft can aggregate individual post to a common request, but at what percentage of 950 owners asking for this feature do they finally make the effort to offer it.
As said, it's part of the W10M OS, it works just fine on my 640XL and other lower end devices. I'm guessing it's not a hardware restriction, otherwise Gabe wouldn't dangle the carrot in front of us if it wasn't technically possible. That just wouldn't be cool and would make him look bad.
Anyway, I up voted about 20 or so of the posts for this on the Feedback Hub. Yes, my vote probably only counts once in the aggregate, but it was my way of kind of screaming by adding my vote to so many.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Since we're just guessing here, maybe the Synaptics driver used for super-sensitive touch also plays a part in the Lumias' double-tap to wake implementation, and the 950s don't have this Synaptics tech in them?
That's a nice guess, but I don't think that explanation works either. The 640 and 640 XL have double-tap to wake, but both are missing the super-sensitive touch capability.

anon(5346951)

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Considering that the guys at Microsoft are still entertaining the possibility of adding double tap to wake I doubt that it is a hardware limitation.

I have always suspected that its absence was due to battery drain. Also just not having the resources to implement it from launch. Considering all the other work they had to do on mobile and the battery drain anyway it made sense not to prioritise it.

Hopefully it is added as an option along with super sensitive touch if the hardware supports it!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
lol stupid Microsoft never listening to their user base lately
Sure they do. But only to punish customers for speaking up. Like announcing they are reneging on w10 for models because insiders complained about issues with preview builds. They are more dumb about not understanding which came first the chicken or the egg.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs