Double Tap to wake, is it ever coming?

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It's the only missing feature from the Lumia 920 days, seems odd that a flagship is missing such a convenient feature. Other WP10 phones have the feature why not the 950?

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Its gone to same place as Gestures. I assume it needs a firmware update, but they is still no real reason why the L950 should have features missing compared to the L920.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well the thing is current lower end WP10 phones have it, it's not just a last gen thing missing now it is missing only from the 950 line of phones.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I thought I read something about it being a screen technology compatibility issue (LCD vs LED), at least that was the excuse with the 930/Icon. Don't know if that is still the hold up/excuse.

ZuLuuuuuu

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
"Glance" has more to do with the screen technology since LCD wastes more energy: when you want to lit a few pixels, you need to lit the whole screen contrary to OLED where you can lit only the pixels you want, hence save energy. But Glance can still be present on LCD screens. Glance also requires some other hardware piece as well which was missing on Lumia 930 and that's why it wasn't present on Lumia 930 although it had OLED screen.

We don't know if double tap to wake requires a special hardware technology but my guess is yes, or Microsoft would have implemented it already. Not announcing that "it won't ever come to the last generation devices" is probably a marketing move so that people do not give up buying the phone just because this feature is missing, they have a false hope that it "might" come in the future.

jbowyer1

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
We don't know if double tap to wake requires a special hardware technology but my guess is yes, or Microsoft would have implemented it already.

I'd bet money that both double-tap to wake and super-sensitive touch are missing due to a hardware requirement not met by the 950s. The W10M OS obviously supports both features, as witnessed on older phones with them that are upgraded to it.

Just a guess with no backing here (though on WC that's usually portrayed as 'fact,') but I'm wondering if they changed the brand / model of digitizer they're using for the touchscreen, and the new one doesn't support these features. Maybe to avoid the phantom touch problems that the 1520 had?

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
What's really weird, is you can double tap the navigation bar to turn off the screen. So the double tap function is there, it just can't wake the screen for some reason..

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
What's really weird, is you can double tap the navigation bar to turn off the screen. So the double tap function is there, it just can't wake the screen for some reason..

Yes, I see that option in "Settings/Personalisation/Lock Screen/Double-tap navbar to turn off screen".

underw8

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
"Glance" has more to do with the screen technology since LCD wastes more energy: when you want to lit a few pixels, you need to lit the whole screen contrary to OLED where you can lit only the pixels you want, hence save energy. But Glance can still be present on LCD screens. Glance also requires some other hardware piece as well which was missing on Lumia 930 and that's why it wasn't present on Lumia 930 although it had OLED.

Right. Lumia 1020 is OLED and has Glance. Lumia 640 XL is LCD id has Glance. It needs additional hardware to provide display memory to run it on, so it doesn't eat up your battery.

I am surprised. The 950 doesn't have Glance?

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Right. Lumia 1020 is OLED and has Glance. Lumia 640 XL is LCD id has Glance. It needs additional hardware to provide display memory to run it on, so it doesn't eat up your battery.

I am surprised. The 950 doesn't have Glance?
The 950 does have Glance

hardywang

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I'd bet money that both double-tap to wake and super-sensitive touch are missing due to a hardware requirement not met by the 950s.

How is double tap wake up different from double tap lock screen? Both of them are "double tap".

jbowyer1

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
How is double tap wake up different from double tap lock screen? Both of them are "double tap".

The 'double tap' action of two touches in a specified amount of time is irrelevant. The difference is having the digitizer powered on when the display is on versus having it always powered on, even while the display is off, monitoring for touch actions. Maybe the 950s' digitizer doesn't have the capability to be powered on separately from the display.

Here's a good article about the tech behind super-sensitive touch: Super Sensitive Touch Explained

Since we're just guessing here, maybe the Synaptics driver used for super-sensitive touch also plays a part in the Lumias' double-tap to wake implementation, and the 950s don't have this Synaptics tech in them? You should tear apart your 950 and let us know if there any Synaptics branded parts in it, just for our curiosity.

Last edited:

jbowyer1

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't see how Glance can be working on the 950 but double tap to wake can't.

Glance uses the display (and display memory and whatever else powers it;) double-tap to wake uses the digitizer. They're different hardware and tech.

The 930 and 520 don't have glance, but they do have double-tap to wake, opposite of the 950s, 650, and 550, all of which have glance, but none of which have double-tap to wake. I'm thinking it's a common hardware deficiency between all of the x50s, like them using the same brand of digitizer that can't do it, but maybe it really is a driver / OS deficiency, though that seems like a pretty random thing for MS to omit if purely a software issue, especially since older devices can do both double-tap to wake and super-sensitive touch in W10M.

At this point I don't care what the reason is I want them to let me know if it is happening or not.

Why do you think it'll happen? MS has given no indication it'll be added, so it's just unsubstantiated dreaming to think that they'll add it. It's not worth getting your hopes up, ala 930 users waiting for glance before that was finally debunked.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
It may be linked to some Nokia IP licence? But as for me, for the 950, 3 things are missing, even if they are still advertised in the Microsoft Store 950 page (not the MS site, but their store) :
a. FM Tuner
b. Supersensitive Touch
c. Double tap to wake

At least FM tuner is present as some (in the US) can directly use third party apps without having to regedit. b) and c) need FW update, and so far, we only got bugfixes.

We'll see if MS keeps on rolling out monthly FW upgrade): since the beginning, we had an OS *and* a FW update on our 950/xl.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss