Att unlocked 640, anyone have w10 yet?

Skier7667

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I have a 640 and it sounds from reading the posts, that in order to receive the update without tagging and untagging the Insider Program is to just sit back and wait for AT&T to roll this update out. They likely have only 1 person testing it for 1 hour per week, so it shouldn't take too long before it gets approved for release.

Sad - very sad!

shikhanshu

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Pretty sure that 10586.218 is what AT&T will release as OTA for 640 eventually.
Why wait? Switch to "Release Preview" ring in Insider Preview. As stable as it gets (probably more stable than what AT&T will release as OTA, because they will have crammed their crap-ware in it as well)

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Why wait? Switch to "Release Preview" ring in Insider Preview. As stable as it gets (probably more stable than what AT&T will release as OTA, because they will have crammed their crap-ware in it as well)
I suppose because every time I've been told that the Insider Preview is exactly the same as the final release, it hasn't been. Not from the last 8.1, not from 8.0 to 8.1. There is always some unfinished thing, a remaining bug, a UI feature not fully implemented. If one can get the full release by flashing the Argentina or Mexico unbranded CV then why not do that? Unless, as I was asking, those ROMs disable something on the 640. Do they?

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site

Well if Microsoft is going to go forward with taking control of updates with W10M as has been hinted at, then regardless of what AT&T releases, any available updates to W10M should come automatically and directly from MS after that point. Keeping my fingers crossed as it would be a great move in taking control from the carriers.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I got tired of waiting for AT&T and installed the insider app yesterday on my locked 640. I'm assuming it's locked anyway because I haven't unlocked it. I selected the insider release preview and it installed 10586.107. I've seen people talking about .218 being good but I'm not sure how I get that. Do I have to select the slow ring?

Otherwise, I have to say I really like it, it's way cooler than I expected. So far a few minor wrinkles but nothing I can't handle. It's slightly laggy at times but not bad. I wish the soft buttons would retract sometimes, and I don't know what happened to the Game center thing. All my games are just individual, ungrouped apps now, although I guess I can group them manually.

Edge is pretty quirky at times but pretty good for the most part. WPCentral is still awful of course, but that's true on any browser.

I also noticed that everything you run is still there in the background, apps don't self-terminate any more when you hit the back button. You have to hold down the back button and kill them off manually. Not sure if that's going to be permanent. So far I'm impressed overall though.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
What apps no longer work on Windows 10? Interested in upgrading but not sure about what apps I'll lose.

This question might be easier if you stated what apps you have (more importantly the ones that you are not willing to do without). This will allow individuals to confirm if the apps you have are working or not on W10M. While the Windows store is not as expansive as Apple or Android, there are still thousands upon thousands of apps.

shikhanshu

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Lumia 640 att unlocked -> Debranded -> I'm Free (Upgraded using the Advisor App)

Which ROM did you put? Did you follow the instructions from the other debranding related thread on this forum? They seem confusing and risky to me :(
Can't I just flash a new ROM without de-branding?

jitensetia

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I have installed Win 10 on my Lumia 640 LTE yesterday and it working smooth. No problems at all like people said Double tap to wake is not working... all is working and great experience.

I only installed Windows Insider app and then it automatically downloaded WM 10 :) :)

jitensetia

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
No need to debrand actually, just install Windows Insider and it will prompt to download WM10 on the phone
I did upgraded yesterday with it

kakashiax

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
No need to debrand actually, just install Windows Insider and it will prompt to download WM10 on the phone
I did upgraded yesterday with it

The unbrand method is just if you want to change from your actual ROM (at&t) to another ROM (tmobile, unbranded,etc.), but is not needed for update by windows insider program.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have installed Win 10 on my Lumia 640 LTE yesterday and it working smooth. No problems at all like people said Double tap to wake is not working... all is working and great experience.

I only installed Windows Insider app and then it automatically downloaded WM 10 :) :)

both double tap to wake and double tap to lock work fine on 14332 on my lumia 640

realitydroid

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently installing Windows 10 on my AT&T 640 right now, though mine is now on Cricket. I'm curious to see how well this works. Luckily the 640 is cheap to replace. It's been the best phone I've ever had.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently installing Windows 10 on my AT&T 640 right now, though mine is now on Cricket. I'm curious to see how well this works. Luckily the 640 is cheap to replace. It's been the best phone I've ever had.

I did the same. Works fine, though I did unlock mine also for travel reasons.

Tyrion L

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I did the same. Works fine, though I did unlock mine also for travel reasons.

I tried to unlock my AT&T Go Phone 640 for Cricket, and when I put my Cricket SIM in, it just worked and I could not figure out what the procedure was to unlock it in that situation. How did you do that exactly?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster