Still no available update for Win 10

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Is Microsoft rolling out Win 10 across one network at a time? I have an unlocked 640XL on T-Mobile's network, and as of this morning update advisor is still telling me there are no new updates for my phone.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Hey,

Yeah I have a 640 on tmobile and got the same thing. Tmobile is working on releasing it, after I reached out to them.

Could be a week, could be 2 months until we get it.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
That may not be the case. The app I was using was simply called Update Advisor, that I downloaded from a link posted by WPCentral last month. I found this link in a previous post on this forum and its called Win10 Update Advisor https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...oft.com%2Fen-us%2F%3Fref%3Daka&token=Pf0aMkux. After running it and checking the box at the end it told me Win10 was available for my phone, and I am now in the process of downloading it as I type this. Try it, it may work for you as well.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
That may not be the case. The app I was using was simply called Update Advisor, that I downloaded from a link posted by WPCentral last month. I found this link in a previous post on this forum and its called Win10 Update Advisor https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...oft.com%2Fen-us%2F%3Fref%3Daka&token=4PdZGUUs. After running it and checking the box at the end it told me Win10 was available for my phone, and I am now in the process of downloading it as I type this. Try it, it may work for you as well.

Yeah I have had it since Thursday, tried again and still no luck.... I think att pushes your update and not tmobile, am I correct?

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Truthfully I don't know. I bought an international 2 SIM phone, which defaulted as Chinese. I set it up and put my T-Mobile SIM in, and have been running on T-Mobile for about 7 months. I assume its coming from either T-Mobile or Microsoft.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Truthfully I don't know. I bought an international 2 SIM phone, which defaulted as Chinese. I set it up and put my T-Mobile SIM in, and have been running on T-Mobile for about 7 months. I assume its coming from either T-Mobile or Microsoft.

Well at least you got it. Keep us posted on how it goes, because I'm wondering how it works without a hard reset.

The wait is killing me!

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, the excitement has died as I just discovered that the update has reverted my phone back to Chinese. Unfortunately now instead of having one or two options like I had when I first activated that phone, I know have to try and fumble around, find setting, and find the option to turn it back to English. Hopefully this won't happen with any further updates.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
That sucks!

Was thinking about going insider.
Go to release ring and then switch to production, don't know if its worth it

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I can't say if its worth it for you or not. What I can tell you is that after reboot the language changed back to English so all seem good there. I have been messing with it off and on all day trying to get everything configured. It seems like my battery has drained incredibly quickly, though this is by no means a scientific observation. I did also have an SD card error but again not definitive. I'll play with it for the next couple of days and update here just in case it does some good.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I can't say if its worth it for you or not. What I can tell you is that after reboot the language changed back to English so all seem good there. I have been messing with it off and on all day trying to get everything configured. It seems like my battery has drained incredibly quickly, though this is by no means a scientific observation. I did also have an SD card error but again not definitive. I'll play with it for the next couple of days and update here just in case it does some good.
Thanks!

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I think att pushes your update and not tmobile, am I correct?
On an factory unlocked phone, the update is pushed by Microsoft. Only branded phones have to have the upgrade approved by the carrier who branded the phone. Even phones that have been SIM unlocked get the updates approved by the original carrier that branded the phone, not the carrier whose SIM is currently being used in the phone.

Truthfully I don't know. I bought an international 2 SIM phone, which defaulted as Chinese.

I have the same phone being used with AT&T service. I've discovered that initial setup after a hard reset will default to Chinese if no SIM is inserted, but this can be changed at the first screen of the setup. If a SIM card is inserted, the phone will automatically recognize the default language of the SIM card during initial setup.

After the phone if finished with the setup, I noticed that there are several keyboards enabled to toggle between. I went to Settings>Time&Language>Keyboard to remove multiple Chinese language keyboards and the English (UK) keyboard so that I'm only left with the English (US) keyboard.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I was able to get things cleaned up, and using the correct language / keyboard, etc. Unfortunately I have had totally unreliable mobile data since switching to 10 (data bounces between none, H, and H+ where with 8.1 it pretty much held 4G. This caused my apps to perform unreliably). Also the media playing stopped working with my Dodge's UConnect system. In the process of trying to roll back to 8.1.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, back on 8.1. It isn't as visually pleasing as Win 10, but my data is stable again, my apps work again, and the media functions are again working with UConnect. I don't know if it the version of the phone or the fact that it is on T-Mobile, but my phone does not like Win 10. Hope others have better luck.

Last edited:

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
On an factory unlocked phone, the update is pushed by Microsoft. Only branded phones have to have the upgrade approved by the carrier who branded the phone. Even phones that have been SIM unlocked get the updates approved by the original carrier that branded the phone, not the carrier whose SIM is currently being used in the phone.

I have the same phone being used with AT&T service. I've discovered that initial setup after a hard reset will default to Chinese if no SIM is inserted, but this can be changed at the first screen of the setup. If a SIM card is inserted, the phone will automatically recognize the default language of the SIM card during initial setup.

After the phone if finished with the setup, I noticed that there are several keyboards enabled to toggle between. I went to Settings>Time&Language>Keyboard to remove multiple Chinese language keyboards and the English (UK) keyboard so that I'm only left with the English (US) keyboard.

Well I have a SIM free totally unlocked phone. Not locked to any carrier. Using a PAYG SIM with it... still no update. Says 'MS are working with my carrier'.... That would take forever then, 'cos they won't release it for my 640XL, as there is no carrier.

Gone back to Insider Preview .164. Same build, so official.

Also received a firmware update while on 8.1. So far, it has made no difference... My device is running exactly the same as it was pre-update...

Still works fast and smooth, so I'm happy!!!!

docfreed

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm gluten for punishment and tried the upgrade to Win 10 again. After doing some research I discovered that with Win 10 I had to manually configure the APN and MMS for the T-Mobile network. Since doing that my mobile data has been working and is stable. Also for some reason it is playing nicer with my cars UConnect, and the battery drain I saw last time doesn't appear to be as apparent. Guess it sometimes needs multiple attempts to get the install right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte