Lumia 950XL ATT - does lack of LTE affect this issue?

JimmyFal

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
When i first got the phone, way back when, ATT informed me of inability to do Visual Voicemail. On that same call they tried to tell me that the 950XL also did not have an LTE signal. They said it had a 4G signal which was not the same. Microsoft tried to tell me it WAS the same.

My issue is that Mobile Hotspot did work initially but not well, and not nearly as well as my Lumia 1520. Now for the last several insider builds and it is just a no go altogether.

I have only one complaint about this phone, and that's it. And for me it's a big one. Anyone else having this issue, and any fixes to point to?

I am almost ready to go back to stock builds because I keep hoping like Charlie Brown that the next build is going to fix it, and they keep pulling the football away from me. :angry:

Has anyone that HAS this same issue, gone back to the stock build and had success fixing it?

AND does anyone know the real answer about LTE and 4G?

Thanks... JF

PNvmkpk

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
4G is really an indicator of speed. LTE is the technology that enables the speeds. Everywhere outside US 4G and LTE are one and same. US has 4G (that is more like 3.75G in rest of the world) and 4G LTE. First, T-Mobile and then AT&T are to be blamed for this 4G and LTE confusion.

fpostrow

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
if you are on the latest build and still do not have LTE and VVM you need to fix your SIM card. The process is easy; use your current SIM in an ATT branded LTE phone like a 920. then reinstall in your 950 and LTE and VVM will work. It's that simple.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yup, vvm mail works on the latest Redstone build and I have had 4g LTE since last November on my ATT 950XL dual sim. I just called and gave them the IMIE (or whatever the number is called) from my previous Lumina 640 and LTE stared working after I turned it back on. I used my phone as a hot spot on previous builds, but have not played with it recently on the latest builds

JimmyFal

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
FPOSTROW - Just so I'm clear, I can pop the SIM from my Lumia 950XL into an old Lumia 1020 I have laying around, and then pop it back in to the Lumia 950XL? How long does it have to stay in?

JimmyFal

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
robertre - when you gave them the IMIE did you intentionally NOT tell them the IMIE from the 950XL? and give them the IMIE from the previous phone? ATT has told me all along and even recently that they cannot put VV on this phone at all. I am very interested in getting this done. Is the IMIE on the SIM or in the PHONE? Thanks...

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with network connectivity -- LTE has worked fine since day one on AT&T. At the outset I never told them my new IMEI and just kept one for an AT&T branded BlackBerry in their system. Even after updating to the 950XL IMEI no issues.

I still don't have visual voicemail, but it's a minor concern for me.

JimmyFal

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I had ATT put the IMEI from an old Lumia 1020 (surprised they agreed to do it actually) onto my Lumia 950XL, in an effort to get Visual Voicemail and or Mobile Hotspot, and or LTE to work on this phone. I then did a factory reset with the SIM card in to the original build and pumped in all the updates. Still no LTE, No VV. Sigh.......

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I had ATT put the IMEI from an old Lumia 1020 (surprised they agreed to do it actually) onto my Lumia 950XL, in an effort to get Visual Voicemail and or Mobile Hotspot, and or LTE to work on this phone. I then did a factory reset with the SIM card in to the original build and pumped in all the updates. Still no LTE, No VV. Sigh.......

Are you on the Redstone build or the prior stock build? For both my Wife's RM-1116 (Dual SIM) and my RM-1085 (single SIM) phones we have had LTE on AT&T. What I did was to get a nanoSIM for each of our previous phones: Lumia 1020 and Lumia 920, respectively. I had to use SIM adapters. When we received our 950XLs I just transferred the SIM and set up the phone. She has LTE and no VVM (the redstone build is supposed to fix this) and I have had LTE and VVM (since mine is a single SIM version) the whole time with no trouble. Both phones have had no issue with mobile hotspot.

You might consider going into an AT&T store and using the IMEI number from the 950 on display for your account. I've heard of others having great luck with that.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Weird that there are so many issues with this. I've had a range of unlocked devices not officially supported by AT&T since LTE launched 5 years ago and have never had an issue.

lankylars

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
There were reports on the forums here of users having issues getting full LTE connectivity if they booted their phones first and the later installed an AT&T SIM. I installed the AT&T SIM from my previous phone into my 950 XL before doing first boot, and I have had full LTE since day one. No VVM yet, but I've read that an Insider build adds it back and should be coming to production Windows 10 mobile soon.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
If you have at&t, log into your account. Check to see what device it says the line is using. If its showing "unknown", that is the reason for no VVM, LTE, or both. Give them the IMEI of a prior AT&T phone, preferably online or phone to eliminate them asking questions. Keep in mind we arent breaking the law but they sometimes make it seem that way. Pretty simple, unless you get an a-hole rep.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just got my single sim 950 XL today. I purposefully took the phone down there without powering the phone on. They provisioned a nano sim (I'm a Verizon transfer - Icon) and installed it BEFORE powering the device on. Turns out we had to plug it into a charger first, as the battery was too low to power the phone up, but after about 10 minutes of charging, the phone went through it's initial boot and setup. I've had LTE since it finished booting. Every instance I've seen where someone didn't power the phone until they had a properly provisioned sim installed as resulted in LTE service. Even the corporate store rep noted that the phone needs to have a good sim in it before you power up to avoid issues.

I put a similar comment in another older thread on this issue and hope that enough people will see it to know that they need to just leave their shiny bright new toy alone until it has a properly setup sim in it.

Love the phone so far, btw.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo