Problems with W10M on my L640 so far

hamka787

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I updated to official W10M two days ago. First it was the .107 version, then another update to .164
Here are my 'findings' after two days of use and playing with the phone:-

The good.
- fluid, smooth & no lag, hang or crash
- the looks, interface & menus arrangement? (I wouldnt comment, I don't really care, its personal preferences & tastes)

The bad.
- the camera is overprocessing your shot and oversharpening and noisy (I am referring to normal shot, not rich capture)
- there is Rich Capture and option to adjust the shot's lighting level later but is not working.
- When I choose lenses from the camera setting, nothing available there even though I have several of those lenses like it suggested from store.
- Maps is good on the first day, but now no longer shows traffic (even after turning on the option). Turning on traffic has to be done every time you use the app.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Maps is good on the first day, but now no longer shows traffic (even after turning on the option). Turning on traffic has to be done every time you use the app

Maps app is set to receive a big update when the first Redstone build makes it to your phone, so for now hang tight. The build is currently in the fast ring

Neil McDougall

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
Take my best word for it, revert back to windows 8.1 before any other bugs pop up. My l640 is no longer charging using the usb port and it can't connect to a pc either. I curse the day I upgraded to w10m.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Take my best word for it, revert back to windows 8.1 before any other bugs pop up. My l640 is no longer charging using the usb port and it can't connect to a pc either. I curse the day I upgraded to w10m.

Which build were you on? in any case... not all users have the same experiences so pushing yours onto another probably isn't the best approach...

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Mine has been working well on each build on the 10586 branch so the experience is (or could be) only isolated to you. It could be multiple reasons, either your connector is damaged and might need a repair or your cable is damaged.

Last edited:

Neil McDougall

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
Nah it isn't connector. Same freaking problem happened with my l635 which i had upgraded first. It is a known issue but it affected the l550 which had same upgrade that I had done. 10586 build 71. I have done hard reset and everything else to resolve issue. But no fix. My l635 eventually died. Anyhow, consider yourself lucky. A friend of mine who did same upgrade I did on his 640, got locked out, so he was forced to do a hard reset. I should have taken his queue and do the reset, and my phone would still be ok. It works, just I have to use a universal charger to juice up my battery.

Francisco_dAn

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I'll just add the Map app is NOT as good as HERE+. My first tine using it I ended up three miles from where I was trying to go. The use of screen real estate is worse. Fonts for eta and speed limits are smaller, the voice is also annoying. Worse yet, the icon for your car on the map is out of sync with the voice commands. I am definitely going to miss Here.

hamka787

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Lumia Moments is now Lumia Plug-ins. The option comes out when you want to edit your video. There's only option to pull still from it but no more 'action shot' ??? Or maybe I can't find it?

Cabo Blue

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I am awaiting the W10m upgrade.
I have a few questions.

I have never done a hard reset on either my 1520 or 640.
What is the process.

Next, will I need to move any apps or anything to the expandable storage?
I'm curious if the 640 has enough installed space for the W10m download.

Any other things I should consider prior to install I g the W10m upgrade when it becomes available?

Thx

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I am awaiting the W10m upgrade.
I have a few questions.

I have never done a hard reset on either my 1520 or 640.
What is the process.

Next, will I need to move any apps or anything to the expandable storage?
I'm curious if the 640 has enough installed space for the W10m download.

Any other things I should consider prior to install I g the W10m upgrade when it becomes available?

Thx

Soft Reset
The soft reset is the same thing as pulling your battery (on devices where that is possible). This method will not remove anything at all from your phone and is completely safe to attempt in any problem situation.
You perform the soft reset by having your phone turned on. Then press and hold the volume down + power buttons until your phone vibrates and restarts. Note that you should not touch the device screen during the process (not even when the 'slide down to power off' prompt appears).
Hard Reset
The hard reset will bring your phone back to factory settings, the same state as when the device was first turned on. All apps, messages, media, personal settings, etc will be removed from the phone. If backup is turned on under Settings, you can restore your apps and settings after performing a hard reset (as long as you initialize the phone with the same Microsoft Account). Note that resetting your device will not remove any OS or firmware updates. You will remain on the same version of Windows Phone after the reset.
If you can TURN ON your device you can reset your phone under Settings: Settings > about > reset your phone

If you can't open your device because of a forgotten PIN (or similar), you can use the button method: Press and hold the power-, volume-down- and camera buttons until the phone vibrates. Then release the power-button and keep the other two buttons pressed for another five seconds. The phone should reset to factory settings.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Unlocking your phone with a PIN is not "smooth and fluid"

Settings, phone,contacts, messaging, skype video.. all these things lag/resuming screen...it can be quicker..

ciccio35

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree with ttsoldier, the new animations make the phone look faster and smoother, but in reality (in my case) it was better before. I mean, how is it possible that even the basic messaging app shows the loading screen?! (I've already done a factory reset after updating to the latest version of W10m)
Anyway, are some of you using Netflix on their phone? Is everything ok after the update? I'm having stuttering issues more or less every 5 minutes. Internet speed is ok, it's 12+ Mbit/s so I guss the only other option is that the issue is due to the update...

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I've had my 640 on .164 since it was available. I agree that the camera over processes and over sharpens. I also have ProShot installed and it does a better job of not oversharpening for some reason. I took shots and compared them side by side in blow ups and there is a difference. ProShot is slow to open, but everything seems to work well. The developer tells us there is a complete W10 update to the app on the way. The only other major bug I find a problem is that Data Usage is not measuring data when on cell.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Mine has been working well on each build on the 10586 branch so the experience is (or could be) only isolated to you. It could be multiple reasons, either your connector is damaged and might need a repair or your cable is damaged.

Or a hard reset is needed because ... Windows.

Arunabha Goswami

May 11, 2015
Visit site
If you can't open your device because of a forgotten PIN (or similar), you can use the button method: Press and hold the power-, volume-down- and camera buttons until the phone vibrates. Then release the power-button and keep the other two buttons pressed for another five seconds. The phone should reset to factory settings.

My L640 doesn't have a camera button, so there must be another way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo