950 XL not charging

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Not sure if it is a phone problem or Insider build problem but in the couple of weeks I have had a few instances where the phone doesn't charge or recognise a cable being plugged in.

First I thought it was an issue with the cable I have at work but then I came home and plugged into my Continuum and it wasn't detected, I tried the cable and charger I got with the phone and this didn't work. I rebooted the phone and all devices and cables worked.

Had this again today.

I am on insider 14283, didn't go for the latest one after I read of the issues with the band 2 as I did a new setup when 14283 came out due to this so not looking to do it again so soon.

Anyone else having problems?

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Being on INSIDER I guess one must be ready & prepared to HARD RESET frequently :kiss:

Of course and I have many times but I'd rather know that the reset will help than just hope as the process does take a rather long time, especially when you may not be able to restore from backup on the latest fast ring update.

I can probably live it with until a new update comes out that fixes the band/restore issues in the current build, I just need to double check the phone is charging or not until then.

Still if anyone else has this issue would be good to hear. :)

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Being on INSIDER perhaps it is much better not use BACKUP for RESTORE after a HARD RESET. Usually the bad BACKUP is indeed the very cause of problems in 1st instance. :unhappysweat:

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I restored from backup twice in over a year, once on my 1520 which I hard reset and fresh installed after most builds but then builds were less frequent.
Two weeks ago on the current build for my 950xl was the first restore I did on this phone, and this was just because I was hoping it would be a short term build and hoping the next one would fix the band sync issue and then I would hard reset.
Intention was to get my phone running asap on that occasion, sadly the latest build has not fixed the band issue and I am trying to hold off hard reset a little longer as doing it every week can be a challenge time wise.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
If anyone has seen this behaviour on their 950 XL can you advise if you are on an insider build or production build.
Worst case scenario is this is a hardware issue and I need to send the phone back, but I am hoping it is caused by the insider build and it will be solved with the next update.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Of course and I have many times but I'd rather know that the reset will help than just hope as the process does take a rather long time, especially when you may not be able to restore from backup on the latest fast ring update.

I can probably live it with until a new update comes out that fixes the band/restore issues in the current build, I just need to double check the phone is charging or not until then.

Still if anyone else has this issue would be good to hear. :)

Fyi, I went back to official build on 950xl bc Redstone was so bad...the official build has lots of problems but tthe charging issue is not one of them. Hope that helps

darth furious

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
It happens on mine once a week or so. Happened last night. I turn off the phone, plug it in and it turns on again charging. Wireless works though. It doesn't recognize the USB C cable. I'm on the latest build but seen it on earlier builds too. Minor annoyance.

No reset necessary, just turn off the phone.

CRDeveloper

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It has happened to me as well a couple of times since this build 14295 was installed. Figure it out the first time that turning off and on the phone does fix the charging issue. At least this seems to be OS and not hardware.

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Charging 950XL via computer USB cable appears to be inconsistent. Sometime 950XL does not recognize connection or computer does not recognize 950XL. However, when I change the cable or change USB port on desktop then connection is made.

NOTICE: 950XL manual prescribes USB cable be 1st connected to computer and only then to 950XL.
REASON: :shocked: you cannot believe it so I skip it.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I did a hard reset at the weekend, wiped the phone with WDRT so also got the new firmware.Then up
graded to 14295, hard reset, setup as new device with no restore and it still happens occasionally so looks like it is new to the last two builds from my point of view.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Are you on insider or standard builds?
For me all issues were fixed a few builds ago, now all pc connections and charging issues have gone.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
If anyone has seen this behaviour on their 950 XL can you advise if you are on an insider build or production build.
Worst case scenario is this is a hardware issue and I need to send the phone back, but I am hoping it is caused by the insider build and it will be solved with the next update.

I started noticing this behavior with build 14332, and it has continued to appear, on occasion, with every build update since. In fact had another occurrence three nights ago on Build: 14356.1000.

I've tried everything; different polarity, different outlet, finally left it plugged in (not charging), and did a soft reset - came on and showed charging. Now I check my phone every night when I put it on the charger. I just recently started using Power Off (instead of soft reset) to reboot the phone. Also I have only noticed this issue on the OEM charger that came with the phone.

I have reported, it via feedback. But it looks as it has not been addressed yet. I must say I am rather delighted to see your post regarding this issue, because I was contemplating taking my phone in, for a hardware look-see.

Wichru

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
I've experience the same issue after the recent update to the latest fast ring Insider build - 14361.0.
So I am using the Qi charging instead.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I've experience the same issue after the recent update to the latest fast ring Insider build - 14361.0.
So I am using the Qi charging instead.

I read the use's guide for the 950XL, and it states that the proper charger connecting method is to; First: connect the Charger to the wall outlet, Second: connect to the phone to the charger.

I don't know if this is required, a suggestion, the sequence the guide was written, but since I have followed this method (four days in a row) my phone has recognized the charger every time. This may just be a coincidence, because another poster said they had tried this method (same phone, 950XL) and had no luck. What phone are you using? and by following the connecting method above, does it help with the recognition?

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Battery is 0% when i plugin on for charging for. The mobile is vibrate repeat few seconds and the mobile display not showing

If your battery is less than 1 year old then try:
  • reformat SD card
  • soft reset first, if not fixed go for a hard reset let all system files be updated make sure not using restore backup files
  • customize phone to save apps on 32GB memory but offline maps, documents, photos, etc on SD card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720