Which regions are still awaiting WM10 update?

Biotic Blue

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I am still patiently awaiting the update for my unlocked country variant L640 in the UK, so am not tied to any provider for the update, and I gathered the 640 was in the tier one for updating.
I understand that there is a roll out and various regions/providers will get it at different times, but it was just making me curious as to which regions and providers have managed to get the official update already, and to give me some reassurance that mine is not deliberately frustrating me by saying it is up to date on 8.1 all the time as there are others out there still waiting. I remember MS provided a list by region and carriers for the update to 8.1 which was handy, and my trusted L620 CV unlocked was very quickly updated, but I haven't seen anything similar for this update and just curious.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I am still patiently awaiting the update for my unlocked country variant L640 in the UK

i believe you are missing out on a crucial information here , the rollout was not region specific , it was provided to each upgradeable device through an app namely upgrade advisor. your device lumia 640 is upgradeable and in order to upgrade it to win 10 you are supposed to download upgrade advisor from win 8.1 store and through that the update will be available in your device. the app will guide you on how to proceed with the update.

the fact to be noted here is the update is not available through regular inbuilt phone update, as i have mentioned it already you need to have upgrade advisor in order to have the update hit your device.

the link to the app is here:

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=fbe47e4f-7769-4103-910e-dca8c43e0b07

Biotic Blue

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
i believe you are missing out on a crucial information here , the rollout was not region specific , it was provided to each upgradeable device through an app namely upgrade advisor. your device lumia 640 is upgradeable and in order to upgrade it to win 10 you are supposed to download upgrade advisor from win 8.1 store and through that the update will be available in your device. the app will guide you on how to proceed with the update.

the fact to be noted here is the update is not available through regular inbuilt phone update, as i have mentioned it already you need to have upgrade advisor in order to have the update hit your device.

the link to the app is here:

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=fbe47e4f-7769-4103-910e-dca8c43e0b07

Abhishek,

Thankyou, yes I am aware of the upgrade advisor app and have been using that since last week, running that app it says I am ready for the update and they are working with my carrier and manufacturer in order to get it to me, so as of yet I am still waiting with using all the official tools, and whilst I am patient with it was just curious on how the roll out has gone through devices and regions is all.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I am patient with it was just curious on how the roll out has gone through devices and regions is all.

the current insider build as i have mentioned is quite stable and is the same on official rollout as well , nothing is actually different in both of them and if you are eager to upgrade now instead of waiting for AT&T to release it, you can choose the slow ring in windows insiders and when you are on the build .164 after upgrading you could switch the rings to production and that will keep you up to date with the latest releases from microsoft or in other words make you in as an officially upgraded device

the recent build has no major issues, navigation through the os is quite fluid and smooth. though a few 3rd party apps are still in works for windows 10 you will have minimal issues running them on your device :)

Biotic Blue

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Australia CV phones still haven't received the update, although Vodafone Australia phones already have.

Thanks for that, useful to know.

the current insider build as i have mentioned is quite stable and is the same on official rollout as well , nothing is actually different in both of them and if you are eager to upgrade now instead of waiting for AT&T to release it, you can choose the slow ring in windows insiders and when you are on the build .164 after upgrading you could switch the rings to production and that will keep you up to date with the latest releases from microsoft or in other words make you in as an officially upgraded device

the recent build has no major issues, navigation through the os is quite fluid and smooth. though a few 3rd party apps are still in works for windows 10 you will have minimal issues running them on your device :)

Again thanks, I am comfortable on 8.1 not being a major user and will get to the official one when it arrives, as I am sure it will in good time, was more curious than anything just to see how the roll out is going, and is curious to see from myjumping that Australia CV is still waiting as opposed to a carrier variant that already has it, seems a little back to front is all.

Darkmiss

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I am just like yourself, here in the UK with a Sim free, unlocked CV phone, with the update advisor installed, telling me I am eligible for the update.

And still waiting for the update to arrive...

solidus1983

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Same here UK CV phone still saying the same error via the Upgrade Advisor. Loads of people are having the issue on Lumia 640 LTE CV based phones. Even WDRT shows only a Windows Mobile 8.1 firmware.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I have a 640XL UK CV phone. Had to wait a week, but finally the update showed up 2 days ago...

If you are running Insider .164, there is no difference, apart from not having 'Insider Technical Preview' on the about screen.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Still waiting on T-Mobile here in the US. We were concerned they wouldn't even bother considering they dropped the 640 not that long after they started selling it. They have however confirmed they will be upgrading us but I'm sure we're not going to be top of their list of priorities so who knows how long we'll have to wait.

Not going insider because I need the Wi-Fi calling ability.

Biotic Blue

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Have just posted on another thread on here, but running the update advisor this morning has popped up with the "upgrade available" so am running the update now, so it looks like it has arrived!

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Have just posted on another thread on here, but running the update advisor this morning has popped up with the "upgrade available" so am running the update now, so it looks like it has arrived!
Things are so slow moving with T-Mobile here that whereas I would normally say "hopefully we'll get it in a week", I am more inclined to say "hopefully we'll get it in a month" lol

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
From what I gather from the posts here and elsewhere. Very few people have actually gotten the W10M update on a 640. I have a feeling Microsoft is holding off on the update hoping people will buy the 650 because it has W10M and the 640 does not. Not a big deal, my wife does not want W10M on her 640 and mine is sitting it the backup drawer as I have moved on to ANdroid. I have a feeling its going to be quite awhile before it comes to most 640's. When it does I'll give it a try as a secondary phone. But Windows will never be my main phone again. When I gave away my 820 and my wife's 925 it market the end of a four year waste of time.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently using an inexpensive LG K7 to satisfy my android itch as my main driver while I wait for the official Windows 10 on my 640. I had have an LG F3 so am quite used to low power Android phones.

My excuse is that I am 'babying' my coveted rare original T-Mobile Lumia 640 :winktongue:

kakashiax

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
From what I gather from the posts here and elsewhere. Very few people have actually gotten the W10M update on a 640. I have a feeling Microsoft is holding off on the update hoping people will buy the 650 because it has W10M and the 640 does not. Not a big deal, my wife does not want W10M on her 640 and mine is sitting it the backup drawer as I have moved on to ANdroid. I have a feeling its going to be quite awhile before it comes to most 640's. When it does I'll give it a try as a secondary phone. But Windows will never be my main phone again. When I gave away my 820 and my wife's 925 it market the end of a four year waste of time.

Microsoft already released W10M, now it's up to the carriers, not Microsoft.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720