04-12-2016 11:51 AM
67 123
tools
    After further review and thought, the loss of contacts that some have experienced seems pretty serious to me. The work around (the one with aliases) seem clumsy and, let's admit it, just a work around. So....I plan to pass for a while...unless and until this issue is fixed.....
    It simply fails to migrate due to a poor default of no accounts coming over.

Enter Contacts > ellipses (...) > settings > add an account > Bob's your uncle

People are simply panicking and not poking deep enough, IMHO.
    Doug_10, Grabber5.0 and truefluke like this.
    04-02-2016 01:37 PM
    Been watching this thread closely - as I'm in a similar situation. My family has 640s - and are starting to ask about apps that are only available on Windows 10 Mobile (Ring, decent turn-by-turn mapping, Instagram, etc). With that said, part of me says if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

I've upgraded my 640 and seems to be great. But I have several worries - before upgrading my family's 640 devices (GoPhone/ATT on Windows 8.1) - hoping someone can address:

1. Will AT&T GoPhones get the "official" OTA update.? Some say yes, some say no. If it's no, seems like upgrading now is smart. If ATT Go Phone will push - then maybe waiting is prudent.
    2. Is there a "downside" to using Insider to upgrade to release and then to production? Would we miss out on future firmware updates issued by the carrier (ATT GoPhone)?
    3. What's this 14295 reboot issue I see in other threads? Would this apply if on release than production. Seems like this is a "fast ring" issue, right?
    4. What's this "missing contacts" issue I'm hearing about. I've upgraded my 640 and 920 - and didn't notice contacts missing. Is this is known issue?

I'm a long-time WP user - going back to a LG Quantum (remember those) and I had a Dell Axim before. But I find myself confused by what I'm supposed to do at this point.

If someone could offer insight to the questions above - I would be very appreciative.
    Thanks!
    Rubidad likes this.
    04-03-2016 12:38 AM

Well, I had some time today and planned to do it, but we are under a "Wind Advisory." The last time this happened we lost electricity for almost 8 hours! Yes, it's wicked windy here is SWNH!!!

Not a good idea to play with the phone OS with iffy broadband-we also lost that this past week for a couple of hours, too.
    Maybe sometime later this week, if I have the time, energy and courage!!!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-03-2016 04:05 PM
    Greetings,

My wife, daughter and I have been using unlocked Lumia 640 GoPhones running Lumia Denim for a while now. Everything seems fine. However, the siren of Windows Mobile 10 is beckoning. As I see it, many 8.1 apps will soon fall to the universal 10 apps. Although the Upgrade Advisors states that my phone is eligible, but I sincerely doubt AT&T will ever follow through, leaving me stranded in 8.1.

I have Preview for Developers loaded and if I check the Enable Preview box, I will enter into 10 Land. What happens when if I do this? How far should I go with the updates? Is there a way to stop the updates at the most stable version? What is the most stable version?

However, hubris dictates that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, at least in my household. I am not interested in being the lab rat for Microsoft, but I do want to use some of the upcoming apps.

Should I pull the trigger, or just Let It Be?
    If you're a heavy phone user don't upgrade, because w10 is very similar to Android in battery use. I haven't noticed any loss of apps on 8.1
    04-03-2016 05:02 PM
    Legit question. On a comparative, how much of a difference does the shift/upgrade make to the active battery lifetime. Because Im used to two weeks on one of my phones, and several times a day on the other. And I'm planning to shift the two week a charge phone onto the 640, and the several times a day onto another WM/WP. So I'm concerned about this and still trying to make up my mind which one of the two phones goes to WM10, and which one stays on the WP 8.1. :)

-- W
    04-04-2016 01:10 PM
    I've noticed to additional battery drain since moving up to Windows 10.

The way I use my phone taking it off at 7am and putting it back on around 11pm my battery is somewhere in the neighborhood of 70% each day when it goes on the charger.
    A few times of heavy use have gotten it below 50%.

I've never had any smartphone of any OS that lasts more than 2 days without charging.
    04-04-2016 04:35 PM
    Wait, so are you saying no additional battery drain since the move to Windows 10? And did I read that right? 30% battery drain over the course of the day? And 50% on a day of heavy usage? So basically two full days of use, even with WM10, if I am reading into that right. Yes? And now that makes me wonder if battery life is a similar two days even with WP8.1 I know, questions questions. :)

-- W
    04-04-2016 05:37 PM
    In my opinion, the upgrade is well worth it. AT&T has a poor track record of updating phones very soon after the manufacturers release the updates. It can take months. With go phones, the track record is even worse with some never getting the update. To me W10M provides a much better user experience and is worth any small battery trade off. My opinion is to upgrade through insider and just enjoy. If AT&T does provide the official update, the worse case scenario to get it is that you will have to use the device recovery tool.
    Rubidad and RumoredNow like this.
    04-04-2016 06:09 PM
    Thanks aybarrap1. When you say, "If AT&T does provide the official update, the worse case scenario to get it is that you will have to use the device recovery tool," why would you need to do that?

This is where I'm really confused. Why would you need to do that. Wouldn't you just stay on production ring and get the same bits? Do you miss out on something by using Insider?
    04-04-2016 08:18 PM

Enter Contacts > ellipses (...) > settings > add an account > Bob's your uncle

This post was helpful, thanks. I'm sure I'd have figured it out, but you saved me the time and effort. :) I don't remember seeing a general upgrade procedure article - well, recently anyway - but this would be good info to put in one. I went release ring based on your recommendations. Of course I didn't have enough free space and had to delete some apps and photos. I also saw mentioned doing a hard reset - does that free up a decent amount of space? I'm left with barely over 1gb free after the upgrade - if MS reputation for filling up your hard drive with downloaded updates extends to phones, they really need to clean up their act.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-05-2016 09:04 AM
    You shouldn't need to the device recovery. I only mention it for those who want the "official" update, which would be coming from Microsoft servers anyway if they are truly controlling updates starting with W10M.
    04-05-2016 09:24 AM
    I also saw mentioned doing a hard reset - does that free up a decent amount of space? I'm left with barely over 1gb free after the upgrade
    That would largely depend on if your System & Reserved is bloated when you check Storage > This Device. My 640 is showing 3.17 GB.

Mostly I did the Upgrade/Reset for that clean install feeling, but It should trim some bloat out of System.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    04-05-2016 11:24 AM
    That would largely depend on if your System & Reserved is bloated when you check Storage > This Device. My 640 is showing 3.17 GB.

Mostly I did the Upgrade/Reset for that clean install feeling, but It should trim some bloat out of System.
    Thanks. Doesn't look like I would benefit too much, but I may do it anyway. Mine shows 3.57GB for system files, so not too different, but frankly, that's ridiculous. I knew MS would bloat up mobile devices just like they do PCs. Makes using a good SD card for apps, photos, and music pretty much mandatory. Also 256MB for virtual memory, which can't be changed it seems, but that's less of a crime.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-05-2016 11:30 AM
    4GB internal has been surpassed and now 8GB is feeling cramped. I think this is why the newest crop of devices are going 16GB minimum.

If you like all Apps on internal storage for speed/reliability you definitely feel the pinch on an 8GB device.
    Rubidad likes this.
    04-05-2016 11:34 AM
    So ... with much trepidation ... I took the plunge and upgraded one family member's 640.

Everything works except:
    1. Email isn't working. When you click on Outlook - you get the "Accounts" page which says "First things first. Let's add your accounts." The "Ready to Go" button is grey and cannot be clicked - and the account that was on the phone before doesn't appear. That's strange because in the Settings>Accounts>Your email and accounts the users name and email appears. Her name even appears under the Email, calendar and contacts list.

2. Groove Music and Weather icons in the "All apps" list are missing.

Does anyone know how to fix issue #1 without a hard reset. I'd like to avoid that if possible so I don't hear "I told you not to update the phone" from my family.... :)
    04-06-2016 02:10 AM
    Avoiding a hard reset is one of the reasons for my upgrade delay!
    04-06-2016 08:21 AM
    Does a hard reset actually fix the outlook.com email? I hadn't tried re-adding it, but I did this morning and it behaved the same way.
    04-06-2016 09:22 AM
    I had updated to Win10 using Windows Insider long time ago, Lumia 640.
    Last night I decided to hard-reset to see if it would make the phone smoother.
    Before doing that I backed up.
    I thought I would install 'contacts+message backup' so I could back up SMS messages. Installation went smoothly, but when I tried to backup contacts and messages, it would quit after a few seconds.
    I did a hard reset anyway.
    Now, all my SMS messages are gone. Some of them I had saved on OneNote, but all the others were gone !
    I had done hard-reset many times before, but this is the first time something went missing.
    So, backup, backup and check backups before resetting,
    Regards
    04-06-2016 09:59 AM
    Does a hard reset actually fix the outlook.com email? I hadn't tried re-adding it, but I did this morning and it behaved the same way.

It did on my daughter's 640.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    04-06-2016 10:03 AM
    Cool. I'm backing up now, in case it works. Doesn't really matter since I haven't done much with the phone yet.
    04-06-2016 10:44 AM
    After I reset and got to the restore screen, I started wondering if it would be beneficial to not restore a backup.. Oh well. I'm restoring this morning's backup, and will evaluate the device, and perhaps reset again and start fresh, just to compare. Nothing to lose, all in the name of science and progress. :)
    04-06-2016 11:17 AM
    The reset did free up most of 1GB of system data, so that's good. It also fixed sync of my MS account, and the missing icons are now showing (which was nothing that concerned me anyway). The one annoying thing is the email app keeps telling me my Gmail settings are out of date even after updating them, and sync is working all aspects of the account (mail, contacts, and calendar). I sent myself an email and it went away, so maybe it's happy now.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-06-2016 12:25 PM
    Give it a day or two to stabilize.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-06-2016 03:24 PM
    I'm going to wait until the end of April to see if ATT brings out production W10M. It took about a month (if I remember correctly) after MS put out the firmware and .164 on the 950 before ATT came out with the update on the locked 950. So that's what I'm going by, waiting at least a month for my 640 before going to Insider.

"Suck gas evildoers!"
    04-06-2016 05:49 PM
    Greetings,
    I had some extra time to do it today, but was unable to find the trigger!
    I have had Developers Preview box already checked, then went to settings and update, ran update only to be told my phone is up to date!!!
    I uninstalled the Preview and reinstalled it. Checked the box and went to update as instructed with the same results???!!!??!!
    I guess I'll just have to stay with my comfortable old 8.1, unless someone has any ideas what to do next
    04-06-2016 06:41 PM
67 123