Should I update, or should I hold?

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Does a hard reset actually fix the outlook.com email? I hadn't tried re-adding it, but I did this morning and it behaved the same way.

shrinivasan p

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I had updated to Win10 using Windows Insider long time ago, Lumia 640.
Last night I decided to hard-reset to see if it would make the phone smoother.
Before doing that I backed up.
I thought I would install 'contacts+message backup' so I could back up SMS messages. Installation went smoothly, but when I tried to backup contacts and messages, it would quit after a few seconds.
I did a hard reset anyway.
Now, all my SMS messages are gone. Some of them I had saved on OneNote, but all the others were gone !
I had done hard-reset many times before, but this is the first time something went missing.
So, backup, backup and check backups before resetting,
Regards

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
After I reset and got to the restore screen, I started wondering if it would be beneficial to not restore a backup.. Oh well. I'm restoring this morning's backup, and will evaluate the device, and perhaps reset again and start fresh, just to compare. Nothing to lose, all in the name of science and progress. :)

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
The reset did free up most of 1GB of system data, so that's good. It also fixed sync of my MS account, and the missing icons are now showing (which was nothing that concerned me anyway). The one annoying thing is the email app keeps telling me my Gmail settings are out of date even after updating them, and sync is working all aspects of the account (mail, contacts, and calendar). I sent myself an email and it went away, so maybe it's happy now.

coolj40041

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to wait until the end of April to see if ATT brings out production W10M. It took about a month (if I remember correctly) after MS put out the firmware and .164 on the 950 before ATT came out with the update on the locked 950. So that's what I'm going by, waiting at least a month for my 640 before going to Insider.

"Suck gas evildoers!"

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Greetings,
I had some extra time to do it today, but was unable to find the trigger!
I have had Developers Preview box already checked, then went to settings and update, ran update only to be told my phone is up to date!!!
I uninstalled the Preview and reinstalled it. Checked the box and went to update as instructed with the same results???!!!??!!
I guess I'll just have to stay with my comfortable old 8.1, unless someone has any ideas what to do next :grincry:

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
OK. So, I updated a family member's 640 and here's what happened.
1. You will need to do a hard reset. Until I did this - was missing some icons in including Groove. Also, contacts didn't show up and email didn't work. After a reset - everything worked great.

This is actually a pretty bad issue - if this is really the production build. The same thing happened to a test 640 I used. Can't believe this didn't get picked up in testing. Seeing tons of complaints in the Feedback app.

This issue - and the fact you have to hard reset to fix - will cause me to hold back on updating the other 640 in the house.

... however -- the hard reset is worth it. The phone runs great on W10. The skype integration in message app is great. Maps are great. And best of all - the game save on Disney Magic Kingdom app - a fav in our house - carried over despite the hard reset.

Overall - a great and worthwhile update. Just know you'll need to hard reset. if that's too much of a pain - as it is for one of my family members - let's hope it gets fixed shortly.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
it was though might be in your case, this issue was fixed in previous updates to windows camera :) my friend has a 640 & has no issues whatsoever

Not just his case. I'm on 164, and it rarely works on mine too. I just tried taking ten Rich Capture photos, and only two of them worked right. The other eight are 1280x720, aren't geotagged, and didn't upload to OneDrive. Tapping on "Choose the best lighting" results in a pop-up that says "Something went wrong. Please try again." And, yes, I have a class 10 sd card, and yes, I tried setting the photos to save on the internal storage too. Rich Captures saved just fine on 8.1. The 10m camera (v.2016.128.141.0) is just buggy.

And now every time I try to take a photograph, it gets stuck at "Saving..."

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
OK, I pulled the trigger last night, Had to move Asphalt 8 Airborne to the SD drive to make room for the update (8 GB is too small). I went to bed and finished up this morning. Seems smooth. The tiles seem to update much faster. Haven't had a chance to try everything...

Some observations. Rich camera seems to work....at times. Some choice boxes? (leave, stay) messages have the bottoms cut off....
Calendar seems awkward, with less customization choices as 8.1.
The contact tile is just not as classy as it was with the flipping squares....
All data for my apps seem to be in place, including Contacts, Endomondo, Microsoft Health and seem to work fine (I've added and deleted some test contacts with no problems) :smile:

I did NOT do a hard reset, and don't plan to do so at this time!!!!
I am in 15184.164 land and would like to stay here for a while. What do I need to do to prevent further insider updates?

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
How did you get rich camera options. I don't see those in my camera app?
Hi,
When I launch the camera app, several transparent icons are displayed on the top of the screen (in landscape mode). It is the magic wand icon that allows you to turn on/shut off this option. I did notice if all the icons are displayed, then the wand doesn't appear, but it re-appears if the if only 3 icons show-it is the middle one....Hope this helps

.....The camera app has been updated. The wand had been replace with an 'HDR" in a rectangle...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos