04-12-2016 11:51 AM
67 123
tools
    Developer Preview or Windows Insider? You need Insider.
    04-06-2016 07:57 PM
    Developer Preview or Windows Insider? You need Insider.
    Oops, thanks, it was the Preview that I was using......dopey of me Now I don't have the time tonight to deal with it. Maybe later on in the week...I wonder what else I have misconstrued!!!
    04-06-2016 08:31 PM
    OK. So, I updated a family member's 640 and here's what happened.
    1. You will need to do a hard reset. Until I did this - was missing some icons in including Groove. Also, contacts didn't show up and email didn't work. After a reset - everything worked great.

This is actually a pretty bad issue - if this is really the production build. The same thing happened to a test 640 I used. Can't believe this didn't get picked up in testing. Seeing tons of complaints in the Feedback app.

This issue - and the fact you have to hard reset to fix - will cause me to hold back on updating the other 640 in the house.

... however -- the hard reset is worth it. The phone runs great on W10. The skype integration in message app is great. Maps are great. And best of all - the game save on Disney Magic Kingdom app - a fav in our house - carried over despite the hard reset.

Overall - a great and worthwhile update. Just know you'll need to hard reset. if that's too much of a pain - as it is for one of my family members - let's hope it gets fixed shortly.
    truefluke likes this.
    04-06-2016 08:50 PM
    it was though might be in your case, this issue was fixed in previous updates to windows camera :) my friend has a 640 & has no issues whatsoever
    Not just his case. I'm on 164, and it rarely works on mine too. I just tried taking ten Rich Capture photos, and only two of them worked right. The other eight are 1280x720, aren't geotagged, and didn't upload to OneDrive. Tapping on "Choose the best lighting" results in a pop-up that says "Something went wrong. Please try again." And, yes, I have a class 10 sd card, and yes, I tried setting the photos to save on the internal storage too. Rich Captures saved just fine on 8.1. The 10m camera (v.2016.128.141.0) is just buggy.

And now every time I try to take a photograph, it gets stuck at "Saving..."
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-06-2016 09:27 PM
    And I can't ever find the recently announced Camera App update which is grating my cheese...
    04-06-2016 11:08 PM
    OK, I pulled the trigger last night, Had to move Asphalt 8 Airborne to the SD drive to make room for the update (8 GB is too small). I went to bed and finished up this morning. Seems smooth. The tiles seem to update much faster. Haven't had a chance to try everything...

Some observations. Rich camera seems to work....at times. Some choice boxes? (leave, stay) messages have the bottoms cut off....
    Calendar seems awkward, with less customization choices as 8.1.
    The contact tile is just not as classy as it was with the flipping squares....
    All data for my apps seem to be in place, including Contacts, Endomondo, Microsoft Health and seem to work fine (I've added and deleted some test contacts with no problems)

I did NOT do a hard reset, and don't plan to do so at this time!!!!
    I am in 15184.164 land and would like to stay here for a while. What do I need to do to prevent further insider updates?
    04-07-2016 08:27 AM
    How did you get rich camera options. I don't see those in my camera app?
    04-07-2016 09:08 AM
    I thought you had to act on any updates to install them. Does it update automatically after some time?
    04-07-2016 10:03 AM

Rich capture is the third icon at the top of the screen when you open the Camera app. It kind of looks like a magic wand. Tap to toggle it on and off.
    04-07-2016 10:08 AM
    Hi,
    When I launch the camera app, several transparent icons are displayed on the top of the screen (in landscape mode). It is the magic wand icon that allows you to turn on/shut off this option. I did notice if all the icons are displayed, then the wand doesn't appear, but it re-appears if the if only 3 icons show-it is the middle one....Hope this helps

.....The camera app has been updated. The wand had been replace with an 'HDR" in a rectangle...
    Last edited by Rubidad; 04-12-2016 at 07:24 AM. Reason: additional info
    stocktiki likes this.
    04-07-2016 10:18 AM
    I am in 15184.164 land and would like to stay here for a while. What do I need to do to prevent further insider updates?
    If you are on Release Ring, you should not get anything beside fixes and patches. And I don't think there will be any of those, reportedly this is Threshold Final.

The next stop on Release is the first Redstone RTM.

To be extra sure > Insider > Production > you are then un-enrolled from Insider.

Since you are evaluating for others in your family, you may just want to stay in Release Ring to preview what is coming OTA to their phones soon after you see it on yours.
    Rubidad and truefluke like this.
    04-07-2016 11:37 AM
    You should update to WM10 using Windows Insider and the Insider Release Preview choice. This is basically release version software without waiting for ATT to bless the update. ATT has been notoriously slow on issuing Windows Phone updates.

Using Insider Release Preview setting will also keep your phone software in sync with the current Windows PC release software ( not using Fast or Slow ring updates on Win 10 PC)
    Rubidad and RumoredNow like this.
    04-07-2016 03:04 PM
    You should update to WM10 using Windows Insider and the Insider Release Preview choice. This is basically release version software without waiting for ATT to bless the update. ATT has been notoriously slow on issuing Windows Phone updates.

Using Insider Release Preview setting will also keep your phone software in sync with the current Windows PC release software ( not using Fast or Slow ring updates on Win 10 PC)
    Great advice-I have done as you suggested. However, I'm not sure if I'll be staying with W10--depends on the battery usage, which will hopefully calm down in a couple of days. There are other irritants, but this is not the forum for their discussion (I'm not sure which one is, at this point).
    04-07-2016 05:05 PM
    I've found the battery life to be about the same as with 8.1.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-07-2016 11:06 PM
    I've posted some addition observations on the W10M Insider Preview 10586.164 Issues (Threshold branch), post #351.
    04-08-2016 07:53 AM
    One more positive comment. The expanded/expandable quick settings pulldown is a huge improvement from version 8. OK two. The settings are much more logically organized in 10 than they were in 8 - that made no sense whatsoever!
    04-11-2016 03:16 PM
    I had updated to Win10 using Windows Insider long time ago, Lumia 640.
    Last night I decided to hard-reset to see if it would make the phone smoother.
    Before doing that I backed up.
    I thought I would install 'contacts+message backup' so I could back up SMS messages. Installation went smoothly, but when I tried to backup contacts and messages, it would quit after a few seconds.
    I did a hard reset anyway.
    Now, all my SMS messages are gone. Some of them I had saved on OneNote, but all the others were gone !
    I had done hard-reset many times before, but this is the first time something went missing.
    So, backup, backup and check backups before resetting,
    Regards
    The messages did appear after a gap of 3 days, along with a lot of deleted messages ! Funny win10 !
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-12-2016 11:51 AM
67 123