Should I update, or should I hold?

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Greetings,

My wife, daughter and I have been using unlocked Lumia 640 GoPhones running Lumia Denim for a while now. Everything seems fine. However, the siren of Windows Mobile 10 is beckoning. As I see it, many 8.1 apps will soon fall to the universal 10 apps. Although the Upgrade Advisors states that my phone is eligible, but I sincerely doubt AT&T will ever follow through, leaving me stranded in 8.1.

I have Preview for Developers loaded and if I check the Enable Preview box, I will enter into 10 Land. What happens when if I do this? How far should I go with the updates? Is there a way to stop the updates at the most stable version? What is the most stable version?

However, hubris dictates that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, at least in my household. I am not interested in being the lab rat for Microsoft, but I do want to use some of the upcoming apps.

Should I pull the trigger, or just Let It Be?

hamka787

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I have updated to official W10M, the .164 version.

1. Gesture Beta wouldn't work in W10 land. It's a convenient feature I had in W8.1, put the phone to my ear when answering call...no need to touch the answer button.

2. No scanner button in W10 land when you hit the magnifying symbol for search or Bing

3. Rich Capture is inconsistent in W10 land. Most of the times it will end up becoming a small size low res picture in your camera roll, let alone having the ability to adjust light level later. It rarely works.

...thinking of going back to W8.1 land 😐

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I have Preview for Developers loaded and if I check the Enable Preview box, I will enter into 10 Land. What happens when if I do this?

as win 10 is now officially rolled out and i believe it should be available on AT&T network, you dont need to enroll in windows insiders. what you have to do is download upgrade advisor from wp 8.1 store and it will guide you how to upgrade.

What is the most stable version?

the recent build offered both by windows insiders and official rollout is the build no. 10586.164 which is quite stable and will provide you a great win 10 experience. though battery backup will not be as it was on 8.1 but it will take you through your day easily. future updates will surely fix this and you will be as satisfied as you are now with wp 8.1 :)

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Gesture Beta

this app has been ditched presumably due to lack of updates and any support. as the name suggests it is still in beta so you can't expect everything bright from it :)

Rich Capture is inconsistent in W10 land

it was though might be in your case, this issue was fixed in previous updates to windows camera :) my friend has a 640 & has no issues whatsoever
No scanner button in W10

are we in about qr code scanner, , a third party app will just do the same and there are very capable apps in store so this reason holds no credit in holding up the upgrade to win 10 :)

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
as win 10 is now officially rolled out and i believe it should be available on AT&T network, you dont need to enroll in windows insiders. what you have to do is download upgrade advisor from wp 8.1 store and it will guide you how to upgrade.

the recent build offered both by windows insiders and official rollout is the build no. 10586.164 which is quite stable and will provide you a great win 10 experience. though battery backup will not be as it was on 8.1 but it will take you through your day easily. future updates will surely fix this and you will be as satisfied as you are now with wp 8.1 :)
It is my understanding that AT&T is notorious for NOT updating GoPhones. I plan to wait a bit just in case.
Also, it was my impression that Microsoft had stated that THEY would be pushing the updates, but the upgrade advisor contradicts this.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It is my understanding that AT&T is notorious for NOT updating GoPhones. I plan to wait a bit just in case.
Also, it was my impression that Microsoft had stated that THEY would be pushing the updates, but the upgrade advisor contradicts this.

Once a phone gets to 10, Micorsoft can push OS updates OTA without the carrier approval as 10 separates Radio out of the equation. Any Firmware that would touch Radio will still need carrier testing and approval.

But phones on 8.1 still need the testing and approval before the carrier will pass the upgrade.

I.E.: Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Once a phone gets to 10, Micorsoft can push OS updates OTA without the carrier approval as 10 separates Radio out of the equation. Any Firmware that would touch Radio will still need carrier testing and approval.

But phones on 8.1 still need the testing and approval before the carrier will pass the upgrade.

I.E.: Don't count your chickens before they hatch.
Do you recommend waiting for the 10 update OTA from AT&T or do the Insider Preview? (And leave my chickens out of this, please!)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My experience on Release ring (which is what the OTA will get you) is that it is worth the move.

I did the upgrade, reset my phone and had no backup to restore as my 640 was new.

Recently I got the OTA for my 1520. I did the upgrade, reset and restored a backup.

They both seem stable and highly usable.

There are going to be things added and things taken away. I hope the things taken away are getting added back. Like Cortana voice commands that have to read contacts. She sees the "inner circle" but not things like my fave Chinese restaurant when i want her to place my calls. No Gestures Beta is another. Things not forwarding to Glance like Health App for steps, etc.

Everyone has a list of their own. It depends on what you've been in the habit of doing to determine what you might miss. I can't rank that for you, or your other family members. I'm trying to embrace the future though and not be such an old dog.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site

W10 is not available from AT&T yet. They say they are testing it before release but I'm guessing it's not a high priority. If you want it right now you have to do the insider thing.

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Okay, Mr. Ambassador. Two last questions. If I do the Release ring, should I do the slow or fast. Also, can I then opt out of further OTA updates without rolling back to 8.1?
And thank you very much for the timely responses.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay, Mr. Ambassador. Two last questions. If I do the Release ring, should I do the slow or fast. Also, can I then opt out of further OTA updates without rolling back to 8.1?
And thank you very much for the timely responses.

"Release" is a separate ring. It is new and slower than "Slow." It's what will go to phones on the next OTA. So right now it is the exact same as the OTA that AT&T is testing. 10586.164.

Once you sign up and get a build, a new ring appears: "Production." Moving to the Production ring effectively un-enrolls the device from Insider.

Right now, things are in flux. 10586.164 is the last Threshold build. So it is on Production for some phones (any making the cut from legacy devices and any dedicated 10 hardware not on Insider). 10586.164 is also on Release and Slow. Only Fast is getting Redstone builds right now.

When Microsoft thinks a build is stable enough from Redstone, they will move it down to Slow for finer tuning. Fast will move on to more experimental builds. If a build gets sent to OEMs and carriers for testing, it moves down to Release; this is the sweet spot to get stable stuff before it hits OTA. Eventually Production will have that build when OTA push starts, but Production is your escape ring....

Hope some of that helps.

For your situation I really recommend you get Release and stay on it. Then you can decide now if the others in your family should move to Insider or wait for the OTA (I think they will want to move). If they go Insider, put them back on Production right away (un-enroll them) and they are on a stable build. Keep your 640 on Release and you will get a taste of what their next OTA will look like and you'll be in a position to evaluate if they can safely go up a notch early by using Release, followed by Production.

Make sense?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, my 1520 is staying Production. It actually is not on Insider and never has been.

I'm leaving my 640 on Release so I can evaluate new builds before my 1520 gets them.

:winktongue:

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Don't enroll in the insider preview. Wait for the OTA.

I vented today about personnel joining the preview just for the sake of it. Sigh.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ew/417952-why-join-insider-preview-leave.html

Greetings,
My main reason for considering the Insider Preview is my lack of confidence of AT&T to push an OTA update of W10, thus trapping me in the 8.1 app-land desert.
Basically, I agree with your premise.and have avoided the Insider Preview, at least until now.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Greetings,
My main reason for considering the Insider Preview is my lack of confidence of AT&T to push an OTA update of W10, thus trapping me in the 8.1 app-land desert.
Basically, I agree with your premise.and have avoided the Insider Preview, at least until now.

Windows 10 has *just* been released. I'm sure lots of people aren't even getting it OTA yet.

I would at least give them some time before you make that decision. It has not even been a month yet since the official announcement of Windows 10.

Doug_10

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi Rubidad, Just to let you know how my upgrade to 10586.164 has been on 2 Lumia 640's and 2 635's. I bought AT&T Go-phones thinking that AT&T would upgrade them to Windows 10 when it was released. After chatting with AT&T reps and coming to the realization that they WOULD NOT be upgrading the Go-phones, only the 640's that were purchased on a contract with them, I decided to join the insider program last fall on all 4 phones. There were some bumps in the earlier releases of Windows 10, that is what the insider program is all about.
As of now I have both of the 640's on 10586.164 and like the release. It is very stable and my wife and I use each phone every day. The 635's are our back up phones and one is on 10586.164 and the other is on 10586.107. They both seem to work okay but they don't have SIM cards in them so I can't completely test them, they are back up phones in case we need them.
I highly recommend getting upgraded to Windows 10586.164 using the insider route, because I think if you are waiting for AT&T you could be waiting forever on your Go-phones.

BenLumia

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
Omg, i have At&t GoPhone Lumia 640. Not getting Official Windows 10? But im already on Latest Windows 10 through Insider. So i dont care.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I just got the 640 LTE Go-Phone I went to the Insider Release Preview and ran 10.0.10586.164. I have that same software on my 635 (512mb ram) and an HTC One M8 and as far as stability and usability they have been without problems. I have been using preview software for almost as long as Microsoft released it for us to use. I went ahead and got the Redstone (that's why I bought the 640) release but I would not hesitate to upgrade to Release Preview but do a hard reset after it settles down.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Not a recommendation, just my experience. Using unlocked 640 AT&T GoPhone. Went from 8.1 update 2(denim) to W10M build .164 using Insider app on Release ring. Very stable for me. When it was reported 640 could download Redstone builds using the fast ring on Insider I took the leap. Running build 14295 currently. My phone is running smoothly and I'm not having issues. What RumoredNow said about losing/gaining things is true though. I have gone back to 8.1 once when on the TH build .164 using WDRT and it worked fine. Haven't tried reverting to 8.1 since getting the Redstone build. My understanding is that you can opt out of the Insider Preview releases at any time since they are not yet official releases for our 640s. Bottom line is that I am happy with my 640 on W10 and have no wish to go back to 8.1 at this time. Good luck with whatever you decide and know that help is always available through these forums. Lots of tech savvy people here(not me so much unfortunately) who jump in to help when problems arise.
Edit...just want to add that I hard reset after changing builds.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Though the GoPhones do not have W10M OTA yet, I do believe MS is definitely working with AT&T to have it pushed out.

I would recommend that you try it first before getting into your wifes and kids phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05