Should I update, or should I hold?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am in 15184.164 land and would like to stay here for a while. What do I need to do to prevent further insider updates?

If you are on Release Ring, you should not get anything beside fixes and patches. And I don't think there will be any of those, reportedly this is Threshold Final.

The next stop on Release is the first Redstone RTM.

To be extra sure > Insider > Production > you are then un-enrolled from Insider.

Since you are evaluating for others in your family, you may just want to stay in Release Ring to preview what is coming OTA to their phones soon after you see it on yours.

maxmin

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
You should update to WM10 using Windows Insider and the Insider Release Preview choice. This is basically release version software without waiting for ATT to bless the update. ATT has been notoriously slow on issuing Windows Phone updates.

Using Insider Release Preview setting will also keep your phone software in sync with the current Windows PC release software ( not using Fast or Slow ring updates on Win 10 PC)

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
You should update to WM10 using Windows Insider and the Insider Release Preview choice. This is basically release version software without waiting for ATT to bless the update. ATT has been notoriously slow on issuing Windows Phone updates.

Using Insider Release Preview setting will also keep your phone software in sync with the current Windows PC release software ( not using Fast or Slow ring updates on Win 10 PC)
Great advice-I have done as you suggested. However, I'm not sure if I'll be staying with W10--depends on the battery usage, which will hopefully calm down in a couple of days. There are other irritants, but this is not the forum for their discussion (I'm not sure which one is, at this point).

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I've posted some addition observations on the W10M Insider Preview 10586.164 Issues (Threshold branch), post #351.

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
One more positive comment. The expanded/expandable quick settings pulldown is a huge improvement from version 8. OK two. The settings are much more logically organized in 10 than they were in 8 - that made no sense whatsoever!

shrinivasan p

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I had updated to Win10 using Windows Insider long time ago, Lumia 640.
Last night I decided to hard-reset to see if it would make the phone smoother.
Before doing that I backed up.
I thought I would install 'contacts+message backup' so I could back up SMS messages. Installation went smoothly, but when I tried to backup contacts and messages, it would quit after a few seconds.
I did a hard reset anyway.
Now, all my SMS messages are gone. Some of them I had saved on OneNote, but all the others were gone !
I had done hard-reset many times before, but this is the first time something went missing.
So, backup, backup and check backups before resetting,
Regards

The messages did appear after a gap of 3 days, along with a lot of deleted messages ! Funny win10 !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa