What happened to the 640, color it GONE

jlwaters11

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site

charktorious

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I went back to .164 as Redstone was too buggy, at least in my case. I'll likely use Walgreens phone #2 more for testing Fast Ring and leave my $40 MS Black Friday phone as my more stable day-to-day one. I don't need Wi-Fi calling and I am hoping that TMo does release a carrier-approved version at some point.

Thanks for the case suggestions btw - I also grabbed a blue and white cover via eBay ($4 a pop) but I wouldn't mind a metal backing to add on as well.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
On upgrading through INSIDER- Can you choose just the recent release or will it upgrade past that to the newest redstone update?
Yes you can choose. I opted for fast ring this time to get Redstone. You can choose whichever ring you are comfortable with. If you don't want Redstone, don't opt for fast or slow rings.

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I can only speak for myself, but when it dropped to $30 it was really a no brainer. I picked up two of them for myself as nice backup phones. I'm currently using one as a media-only player that I carry my Spotify playlists on.

I mean, seriously...for $50 I have a 40GB media player with a decent screen. Apple can't touch that.

I also told everyone I know about it so I probably sold an additional 3-4 units myself the week they originally dropped in price.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
This phone has been on sale for a while now. Either it hasn't been selling that well outside of Windows Phone Enthusiasts or AT&T have a lot of stock they need to reduce.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I have seen more people in the past six months sporting 640's than all the other windows phones I have seen since I bought my first windows phone back in 2012. When they dropped the bomb (no W10 for 820/925) I picked upp two 640's to try W10 on them. But the upgrade advisor just keep saying the phone can run W10; but they are still working on getting it pushed out. I switched to Android a few weeks ago as my main phone. But I haven't competely given us on Windows phones yet. How long it takes for them to get W10 to my two 640's will determine that. I gave away my 820/925, that hurt alot. But no one would pay hardly anything for them and they are in first class condition, like brand new.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I have seen more people in the past six months sporting 640's than all the other windows phones I have seen since I bought my first windows phone back in 2012. When they dropped the bomb (no W10 for 820/925) I picked upp two 640's to try W10 on them. But the upgrade advisor just keep saying the phone can run W10; but they are still working on getting it pushed out. I switched to Android a few weeks ago as my main phone. But I haven't competely given us on Windows phones yet. How long it takes for them to get W10 to my two 640's will determine that. I gave away my 820/925, that hurt alot. But no one would pay hardly anything for them and they are in first class condition, like brand new.
It didn't seem that long ago you couldn't even get a basic dumb phone for the price you can now get the Lumia 640! Even for someone who wouldn't normally be a Windows Phone user, this is definitely the bargain of the Century.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Apparently, I spoke too soon about B&H having new ones. They now pulled a Microsoft (sorry, I had to) and they discontinued all of the 640s and you can only buy the XL now. Strange. Again, just like Microsoft.

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
im a little confused why people think it is "strange"?? the phone is more then a year old, its replacement has already started selling (yeah i know lots of people don't consider the 650 much of a replacement or an upgrade)

so isn't it normal for microsoft to stop making them, and for the existing inventory to start selling out?

seems quite unrealistic that anyone is "hiding" the 640 so the 650 sells.. it seems much more likely that the price on the 640 will drop to crazy low levels so they can sell out all existing stock (ohh wait the 640 could be bought for $29?? and walgreens dropped them to less then $10.. wow those seem like crazy low "clearance" prices)

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
The dropping of price for the old model is the norm. I'm sure MS is contributing to this as well. Sell off your "budget" old stock for dirt cheap to push the OS to the market. More users mean potentially more dev support which in turn could provide long term increasing adoption of Windows phone.

Cabo Blue

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
For future 640 updates:
Are current W10m updates provided thru carriers?
Or can we ontain the W10m updates thru the MS websites?

Was thinking if a carrier is responsible to make available future updates avaiLable, could they block updates for the 640?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Starting with Windows 10 Mobile, there is a new update model. Radio has been segregated from the OS. Firmware (which contains the cellular radio stack) still needs Carrier approval. Everything else (base OS version and integrated Apps) comes straight from Microsoft.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
On that note. Color them officially gone. Sadly. :'( They have officially been sold out of most distribution channels, and the last few lucky ones to have snagged them were just that. Those last few... And here is to an adieu to some of the best value in recent phone history, across all platforms. I was one of those who picked them up at the clearance prices. And am I glad that I did. Thank goodness for the good things in life. :)

Not to bring up an old dead thread or anything, but just thought that it merited bearing. And saying.

-- W

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad to be one of those lucky few to acquire a Lumia 640 a couple months back.
Took the risk of ordering two units and had it shipped here in the Philippines.

It's amazing that these kinds of deals do not exist where I live (a third world country). LOL!

Just wishing that Best Buy should have allowed me to order more than two units so that I could gift it to some of my relatives and friends but sadly no.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Aaaannnddddd.... THEYRE BACK! The last stock/batch of 640s is back, ladies and gentlemen! Courtesy of Cricket and BestBuy trying to clear out they're stocks. I dont know how unlockable these bunch of phones are, but from what I hear, not very much. But its a 640 anyways, and especially a good deal, and the right one for you, if you have a Cricket line.

Heres the link for those who might or might not be interested in them. :)

Cricket Wireless Microsoft Lumia 640 4G LTE with 8GB Memory Prepaid Cell Phone Blue DMCN5002 - Best Buy

And its the mythical Nokia Blue/Cyan too to boot too! :D ^~^ :3

-- W

Last edited:

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes, buying one now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit:

Bought, pending store pick-up after I get off of work. Suck it Authorized Cricket Retailers. They insist on selling this phone with a $25 activation fee....because the FCC says so?

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
The activation fee is only for the stores, not online.
That's how the resellers make their money. If you can find a corporate Cricket store (not a 'authorized' reseller) you may be able to get them to waive that fee.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I realize that. I got into a philosophical argument with a newbie working the store. Sensing he was new I didn't want to chop him down too harshly. I just said that the phone number isn't transferred to the new phone, that information is on the SIM card. By putting my SIM card into another phone and powering it on, it is activated. He then went on to tell me that I could buy a phone at Walmart off the shelf without activation. Then I got an apology for any inconvenience to me whatsoever.

The store manager didn't want to lose a sale, and offered to order the phone for me. Glad I found out about Best Buy's shipment!

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Oh you're pretty lucky, then! I went into a reseller a few weeks ago, was about to buy the 650 until they refused to waive the $25 fee. Left empty-handed, but later found a 640 at Best Buy for $111 less than I'd of spent at Cricket for the 650.

I understand they need to make money, but 'activating' a phone when you're already a customer (like you described) doesn't warrant $25 worth of effort on their part. Even with a Cricket branded phone, you just slip your SIM into it and it works (unless you have to swap nanoSIM for a microSIM or vice-versa) - even still, you phone in & they can swap them over the phone... still not warranting of that fee.

Their retail phones are already more costly than what the Cricket wireless sells them for.

You are also lucky for getting one shipped from Best Buy! If I had made Best Buy my original stop, I wouldn't have been without a phone for 2 days.. I originally checked the site and they didn't have the 640, cheapest model was a 435 or something for $50+
Took a chance one afternoon I was nearby and they had one lonely $28 640 sitting on the rack. No mention of it available online/offline, whatsoever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo