Getting Lumia 950 tomorrow - what should I do first.

dda_k

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I left Windows platform quite a time ago. Now that I'm getting back - what should I do first when I get the phone? Get to insider program or stay on officials? Install some specific apps for phone? And what are the things I should be prepeared for?

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Stay with official update...let all the apps update itself...for better battery make sure mail sync is every 15 mins or soo....see which apps to allow in the background...

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
1st thing? restore using WDRT. some people have had issues right out the box and even a hard reset had no effect.

After that? well, make sure you have access to your MS account, and find a case!

nairby

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
If you are a UK user then you can get ?50 app credit with the Lumia Offers app. Click on Lumia Rewards but do NOT select 'recommend lumia', choose 'claim reward' and ask me for a referral email.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Download all pending updates and reset your device. Set-up your phone, go to the store, cancel all pending app updates excluding "store" update, let store update and then update other apps.

Last edited:

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
You don't need to do so much. Just let it sit for a couple of hours to finish all the updates before you start using it and make up your first impression.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I left Windows platform quite a time ago. Now that I'm getting back - what should I do first when I get the phone? Get to insider program or stay on officials? Install some specific apps for phone? And what are the things I should be prepeared for?

You can stay on the official build as it is quite stable. Currently the insider builds in fast ring do have a number of bugs that could compromise your experience

When setting up the phone, use wifi and keep the phone charging and update the OS. Don't download any app, don't copy over any data. Just update the OS, then after updating the OS update the core apps (check store app an check for updates).

Once OS is updated, core apps are updated, you can then start installing the apps you need, syncing emails, copying over content etc.

Do all this while it is charging. Once all your apps are installed, head over to settings> system> battery > battery saver > check which apps can run in background and disable the ones you don't need.

As a recommended solution for battery drain, sign out of skype apps

What you can be prepared for : try to make sure that you install any updates while on wifi and charging. If you keep wifi or cellular on things could update without you knowing and hence drain the battery fast. So disable automatic updates

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
After you have done updating/configuring your phone & apps to your liking. Go start using and enjoy your phone. Under no circumstance, do not, I repeat, do not come back to read our WC forum. Stay away for a week, at least a week!! The whining and negativity disease within will eradicate whatever good thoughts you might have of your phone... Run, run for the hills..

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
0. Place it in a charger and do not disconnect until Everything is done and your battery is at 100%.
1. Follow the guide to add your Microsoft-account. Make sure to add a wifi-network.
2. When you are presented with the start-screen for the first time... Scroll over to the app-list and watch as it populates. Alternatively, leave your phone alone for 30 minutes.
3. Go to settings and see if there are any updates.
(a. If there are updates. Let them update and start from 0 again, if not, continue to 4.)
4. Make sure backups are enabled.
5. Make a backup.
6. Enjoy, and do as raycpl says above. Do NOT under any circumstance look in the 950-thread until you have had your phone for at least a week.

You will probably have bad battery life. This is normal for two reasons... One being that it takes a few 100-LOW charges/discharges for the battery to calibrate and break in... Two... Who can leave a new piece of hardware alone?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE EVERYTHING. Update the OS and firmware in the settings, update the store apps too. If you get the continuum app, used the gadgets app to update the firmware of that as well. Update everything

lopezi

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I jumped on board this week as well. This is not my first rodeo with Windows Phone, I've been through 3 generations (Pantech PN-820 WM5.3, Samsung Omnia II WM 6.5.3, Lumia 822 WP 8.1). I picked up the dual sim, unlocked model from the Microsoft Store when the deal was active.

I was pleasantly surprised by the set up process, from migrating from the previous WM 8.1 back up of my Lumia 822 to the new device (most everything came over alright). My phone had the Dec. 2015 firmware and OS and I didn't upgrade the OS or firmware prior to set up. However, afterwards I let the phone sit (it updated the store and apps for awhile) and then several hours later it alerted me to the new firmware and OS updates. Those applied without any fanfare. I'm only a day in with use but things seem fine.

Even getting set up on AT&T wasn't too much hassle. I tried at first to do everything online but it did not recognize the IMEI numbers from the unlocked phones. Unfortunately, I had to go to the local store but it turns out the rep. was quite knowledgeable about getting the 950s up with no fanfare. I was fearful of the switch from Verizon but it ended up being relatively painless.

I actually read the forum posts for quite awhile and read a bunch about issues and problems, etc., I read similar things way back when I first started with the L822 but my experience with the L822 was great so I'm hoping the L950 can carry the baton.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos