Which 640?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
No LTE and 3G bands are different. For example, AWS is also known as B4 (1700/2100) but a phone may support that band for LTE but not 3G. And you won't need all bands from your carrier to get LTE, only the one that the carrier provides in your operating area. For example, AT&T operates on B4 LTE in my area but T-Mobile operates on multiple frequencies including B4. As long as my phone supports B4 I should be fine.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
No LTE and 3G bands are different.
No, I get that LTE and 3G are different, I had a phone when the next "big thing" was going to be GSM. :shocked:. I was asking if there's a difference in the names "LTE" and "4G". I thought LTE was just the technology's name and 4G was just a branding to understand that it's a new generation of mobile communication tech. Is that about it?
For example, AWS is also known as B4 (1700/2100) but a phone may support that band for LTE but not 3G. And you won't need all bands from your carrier to get LTE, only the one that the carrier provides in your operating area. For example, AT&T operates on B4 LTE in my area but T-Mobile operates on multiple frequencies including B4. As long as my phone supports B4 I should be fine.
So as long as my carrier provides 800, 1800, and 2600 LTE and the RM-1073 provides only the 2600, I'll still get the exact same LTE speed as if I had all three? So why do some phones have all three? What is the added benefit of having more of the bands on your phone?
AT&T operates on B4 LTE in my area but T-Mobile operates on multiple frequencies including B4. As long as my phone supports B4 I should be fine.
By the way, if you look at frequencycheck, it looks like this phone doesn't actually work with B4 LTE.

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
4G and LTE are the same in global standards. Here in the US, T-Mobile started branding their HSPA+ networks as 4G (which is nothing but 3.5G) and that's when all the confusion started. The phone does have B4 LTE and it works. The reason there are multiple LTE bands is because carriers operate at different frequencies across different base stations but at a given time the phone will only operate on one band.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Here in the US, T-Mobile started branding their HSPA+ networks as 4G (which is nothing but 3.5G) and that's when all the confusion started...
Yeah, I remember. I don't know why I'm so concerned about only having one 4G band. I had a 4G phone in New York a few years ago and it never went above H+ at best (which was actually sold as "4G", as you said). Anyway, even on H, (and often here in Paris you do end up with H) my current phone is fine and it's older.

My current phone, a Lumia 925, has 3 4G bands and gets them all from my carrier in Paris. So I rarely go down to 3G but it does happen in certain neighbourhoods and in a lot of places outside of Paris. I just wish I could knock down two of them to see what my phone would feel like with only the 2600 band running. Because this 925 is also only dual core and the 640 is quad. So, just that alone would keep the phone running faster even than mine now. Is there an app at all that lets you see which bands you're using and disable a few to do tests?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
You could try dialing ##3282# or *#3282# to open field test mode (only available on certain ROMs) and play with the bands, enable disable certain bands and test your network.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
From my experience you can still flash the RM-1072 ROM and it will still work, network bands will be retained (new bands won't be unlocked since it's hardware dependent). Despite of it being possible I would still stick with the Mexico ROM since it's unbranded and the only with been the French ROM would be the default setup screen...one would be French other in Spanish.
I was just going over some your help again. I just ordered the 1073 ATT Go, well 3 in fact that I'll be unlocking. One for my dad in the US for his T-Mo account and two for my wife and I in Paris. So, I misunderstood, I thought actually that you COULDNT flash it with a 1072 ROM because it would cause instability issues. You're saying it might work fine but it won't open up any more bands because obviously that's tied to the hardware. So then I guess the only reason to choose one ROM over another is whether it's likely to get Win10 faster. I know the rollout isn't carrier-specific or even carrier-controlled, but is it possible that non branded CVs are quicker to get it? If that were the case I'd go for any non branded version of 1073 (and maybe for fun try a UK non branded CV if 1072 really isnt a problem). But is that correct, then? That non branded ROMs would be wquicker to get Win10? Or is it nothing to do with that?

Thanks.

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
I was just going over some your help again. I just ordered the 1073 ATT Go, well 3 in fact that I'll be unlocking. One for my dad in the US for his T-Mo account and two for my wife and I in Paris. So, I misunderstood, I thought actually that you COULDNT flash it with a 1072 ROM because it would cause instability issues. You're saying it might work fine but it won't open up any more bands because obviously that's tied to the hardware. So then I guess the only reason to choose one ROM over another is whether it's likely to get Win10 faster. I know the rollout isn't carrier-specific or even carrier-controlled, but is it possible that non branded CVs are quicker to get it? If that were the case I'd go for any non branded version of 1073 (and maybe for fun try a UK non branded CV if 1072 really isnt a problem). But is that correct, then? That non branded ROMs would be wquicker to get Win10? Or is it nothing to do with that?

Thanks.

if you chose a 1072 rom you need to NOT use the update nvi parameter (that was what caused instability)

but... if you are loading tmobile rom on one for your dad.. then make sure you DO include the nvi update (otherwise wifi-calling and band 12 may not work properly)

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
if you chose a 1072 rom you need to NOT use the update nvi parameter (that was what caused instability)
but... if you are loading tmobile rom on one for your dad.. then make sure you DO include the nvi update (otherwise wifi-calling and band 12 may not work properly)
Ok, I haven't done the flashing process yet, so I don't know what nvi updating is, but I imagine it's something thoroughly explained in the flashing process. Exciting, actually, I flashed my Android phones a few years back left right and center through the Froyo and Gingerbread days. I'm sure I'll be fine.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, still not very sure about this... Is choosing a non-branded CV more likely to get me the official Win10 update? Is anybody keeping track of which countries/carriers are getting the update as time passes?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Is choosing a non-branded CV more likely to get me the official Win10 update?
Yes
Is anybody keeping track of which countries/carriers are getting the update as time passes?
Microsoft used have a page dedicated to show the last software release by country/carrier and device but looks like they have taken it down. Your best bet would be to read around. One thing to confirm, none of the US carriers have upgraded their WP8.1 phones to WM10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12