Faulty 3rd and 4th Microphone

Joene Floresca

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi I am new to Lumia 930 and came from Android. I just bought this phone 2nd hand seems pretty good. However I made a diagnostics test last night using the LumiaPhoneTestApplicationInstaller.exe in my PC. And seems that the 3rd and 4th Microphone is not working? I was able to test the primary and 2nd microphone and was able to hear the playback via loudspeaker but on 3rd and 4th mic I can't hear anything from my recording.

My phone is currently running Windows 8.1 Denim. The seller said it was never updated to Win10. I am also seeing issues with microphones in some threads but mostly on 2nd microphone. My primary and 2nd mic is working fine. I also tried recording video via front camera and there's no sound? And when I record a video from the rear cam seems working fine.

May I know if you are experiencing the same or if this is software issue? And lastly where is the 3rd on 4th mic? Is it both the one on the back?

abhirajsoni

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I also have this problem. And latest redstone build has fixed this. Although loudspeaker on call is still faulty.

Sent from mTalk

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
You have a defective unit, get your money back from seller and dump this. Your microphones are physically damaged and no software will fix it. Updating to Windows 10 will only make the issue more apparent.

Microphone 3 is located at the back on top of the device. Microphone 4 is located inside the front top speaker.

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I also have this problem. And latest redstone build has fixed this. Although loudspeaker on call is still faulty.

Sent from mTalk

False. No software update can fix this problem.

And in my case, I had faulty mics 1/2 and currently my phone is being repaired to have mics 3/4 fixed.

abhirajsoni

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Redstone is for Windows 10 right? I am on Windows 8.1 right now, is it advisable to update to Windows 10 already?

There is nothing bad in trying redstone if its fixes your mic. Many people are reporting that redstone fixed this issue. If it doesnt do for you, you can rollback to 8.1.

Sent from mTalk

Joene Floresca

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
You have a defective unit, get your money back from seller and dump this. Your microphones are physically damaged and no software will fix it. Updating to Windows 10 will only make the issue more apparent.

Microphone 3 is located at the back on top of the device. Microphone 4 is located inside the front top speaker.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I can't contact the seller anymore so I'll just keep it. This is a minor issue to me so I think this phone can still be useful to me. I see. so the 3rd one is the one on the top or the rear camera. The 4th one is inside the earpiece and can't be seen physically? I am also seeing a microphone on the back which is located on the lower part near the loudspeaker, that must be the 2nd mic right?

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
There is nothing bad in trying redstone if its fixes your mic. Many people are reporting that redstone fixed this issue. If it doesnt do for you, you can rollback to 8.1.

Sent from mTalk

There is if he can actually return his phone and get his money back and not risk getting involved in warranty repairs etc.

Iulian Luca

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi, all.
I restored my Lumia 930 phone from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1 because I couldn't bare the battery life (half a day), other bugs with Maps and Camera and other Nokia branded apps not being available. Frustration from start to the end with Windows 10 on my Lumia 930.

on topic:
On Windows 10 I got the same issues with the microphones. On speaker phone the other person cannot hear me and the audio voice messages are blank.

What I've done:
I installed the application called "#1 Toolkit" from the Store and I opened up the voice recorder tool (the one with microphone icon).
The app has a nice audio visualization when the sound is being recorded. When there is no sound you'll see a straight line (you know what I'm talking about) so I took the phone and I spoke right into the microphones one at a time while the other 3 were covered up with my fingers.

This is the audio file recorded by the phone: http://alturl.com/ka5tv (mp3 file) - please raise the volume up so you can hear my voice
This is the edited audio file with the amplitude sound raised 15db: http://alturl.com/rn22y (wav file) - please LOWER your volume :)

So, I think that the issue it is software somehow, I don't know, but you can test it by yourself and see that all the microphones got sound recorded by this app.

Thank you.
Iulian

Last edited:

DoriKinStarr

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi, all.
I restored my Lumia 930 phone from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1 because I couldn't bare the battery life (half a day), other bugs with Maps and Camera and other Nokia branded apps not being available. Frustration from start to the end with Windows 10 on my Lumia 930.

on topic:
On Windows 10 I got the same issues with the microphones. On speaker phone the other person cannot hear me and the audio voice messages are blank.

What I've done:
I installed the application called "#1 Toolkit" from the Store and I opened up the voice recorder tool (the one with microphone icon).
The app has a nice audio visualization when the sound is being recorded. When there is no sound you'll see a straight line (you know what I'm talking about) so I took the phone and I spoke right into the microphones one at a time while the other 3 were covered up with my fingers.

This is the audio file recorded by the phone: http://alturl.com/ka5tv (mp3 file) - please raise the volume up so you can hear my voice
This is the edited audio file with the amplitude sound raised 15db: http://alturl.com/rn22y (wav file) - please LOWER your volume :)

So, I think that the issue it is software somehow, I don't know, but you can test it by yourself and see that all the microphones got sound recorded by this app.

Thank you.
Iulian

When you downgrade to Windows 8.1 Mobile from Windows 10 Mobile, currently your phone is Lumia Cyan or Lumia Denim?

DoriKinStarr

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Well... I think for my opinion, just stay on Windows 8.1 Mobile with Lumia Denim. I rather wait till all issues for Windows 10 Mobile on Lumia 930 to settled.

gourav mopidevi

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
i'm from india.I love nokia, when my friend was going to visit Hongkong i requested him to bring Nokia Lumia 930(special edition) which he did :)

it was fine on win 8.1 but when i installed win 10 then i found like many L930 users out of 4 some mic's was not working..

Q) when was mic broken ?
A) we got L930 with Win8.1 pre installed...we got an update Denim well i'm sure this update messed mic.

Q) what are the infamous problem L930 users are facing regarding mic ?
A) 1) if use speaker while on call other end can't hear our voice,voice recorder can't record any voice,whats app audio recorder can't record voice to send.
2) can't hear any voice in recorded video while playback...i mean video recording have no voice.

Q) is it software problem or Hardware problem?
A) it is hardware problem live with it....it's not software.

Q) but i heard sound while recording on win 8.1 with Lumia camera? it's all win 10 inbuilt camera fault?
A) yes, we have sound on win 8.1/win 10 with lumia camera because lumia camera use different array of mic in different scenario...for eg: we dont get sound when we record video in portrait mode..etc

Q) How many mic's are there? where are they situated? which one is crused?
A) Four mics, out of which two are soldered on board, one behind earpiece another one back top most...other two are flex cable mic one front bottom another one back bottom.....well it depends and hard to find....many says it's on board mic,some says its back two, some says only two.

Q) whats in you're case?
A) well in my case...it's bit complicated...here is my experience...i ordered two orginal on board mic...i changed them when i'm on win 10...after changing i got sound but only mono...i mean while video playback,plug in headset then i can hear only on right ear plug where as left one is complete mute.

Q) I've very low sound recording from some mic?
A) whatever it's still broken.

Q) How to test which mic is broken?
A) Well many suggesting to use Lumia test application 6.0.9....in my case it failed,how? well before repair it said 3 & 4 are broken after repair it still says 3 & 4 are broken. for some people it showed all mic are working fine...this take me to next question.

Q) Does changing mic solve problem permanently?
A) No, it just solve temporarily.

Q) How you know it doesn't solve permanently?
A) well 2days back i installed win 8.1 using windows recovery tool...i checked video recording and playback...it had no sound :(...then i installed denim otp update i guess i got sound then i installed win 10 lost sound came to initial state...

Q) what i suggest?
A) If possible Change whole motherboard dont change faulty mic..
If possible just throw it or sell it...doesn't worth time.
less on budget or want to replace only mic....fine replace it on win 10...never ever go back to win 8.1.

Q) What i think?
A) Denim changed how mic's are used to record video in return many handsets caused some circuit fault which enable in failure of mic.
Microsoft doesn't want to take responsibility...so we left with unreliable A**H*** company....i hope i bought Apple..i just blinded by
fanism...my first smartphone was S3 never got a single problem from past 4yrs.
sad part i have warranty but in HongKong which is not valid in India :( i'm very low on budget so i will use this piece of useless sh** untill
2017 nov then i will buy iphone 7s/8...or i will wait for 4/5 months of flagship Lumia release before buying..

i just want effected users to make something viral so that microsoft fall on their knees,listen to us,acknowledge us, solve our problem same li apple step up to solve their customers problem..

Thank you.

Gillis Haest

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
I recently acquired a Lumia 930 and went straight to a Redstone build, mic 3 & 4 are faulty according to the Lumia test Application.
But this application tests the hardware without windows 10, It runs the tests separately, so there is no interference from firmware.
it seems mic 3 & 4 are faulty indeed, but that in my case it's a hardware problem..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs