Anyway to forward text messages to another phone?

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I have a work phone and Id like to be able to forward my text messages, and calls, to it sometimes when I don't want to have 2 phones with me. Is there any way to do this on windows phone...either 8.1 or 10.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a work phone and Id like to be able to forward my text messages, and calls, to it sometimes when I don't want to have 2 phones with me. Is there any way to do this on windows phone...either 8.1 or 10.

This is a function that can be done through your telcom provider.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Isn't this being worked on, with Redstone?
Aren't we supposed to be able to read/reply sms on phones and computers?
Theoretically, wouldn't it work with two Redstone phones?

Alternatively, maybe it would be worth looking at a dual-sim phone.
I don't think Verizon has any (at least, for Windows), though.
JJ

gbm97

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
Text messages I send on my Lumia phone arrive on my tablet.
Both phone and tablet on Fast Ring.
On the laptop the messages are read only.
I do hope in the future that I can send/reply to a text from my tablet.
This is a fantastic feature...was not expecting it till I stumbled upon it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Not on Verizon

Well, sort of... If your talking voice mails, that is done with Verizon, call into your voice mail, go to advanced option in the voice menu, and there is an option to SEND an voice mail or forward. Love this one, when I am really ticked off at my wife and I DONT want to talk to her but, I want to say something. I use this, You can start a new voice message and send it directly to them.

There is an option after listening to FORWARD to another number (think this only works with Verizon customers)

If you get a text message you want to "forward" to someone else, you CAN hold the text, the menu will come up, COPY, create a new text message to the one you want to send it to, and when the keyboard comes up, just select the paste.

Not a true forward for text messages but, it does work in a pinch.

Of course if your trying to move to another phone, Verizon backs up 90 days of text messages, so if you get a new phone before you do anything on the phone, in one of the menus (saw this in Android), select the option to restore messages.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think loki wants these messages to be forwarded automatically, so that when sent to one phone, they show on another.

The simplest way to do this would to have two Windows Phones and have the same Microsoft account on both. Everything will then sync, including SMS messages.

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I think loki wants these messages to be forwarded automatically, so that when sent to one phone, they show on another.

The simplest way to do this would to have two Windows Phones and have the same Microsoft account on both. Everything will then sync, including SMS messages.

How? I have a personal ICON and a work 950. Both use the same personal outlook account with cortana and all that jazz. They do not sync.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This would be the messaging backup. In Windows Phone 8.1, it was the SMS backup option that needed to be set. In Windows 10 Mobile, it's 'Messaging Everywhere'. I believe that both phones should have the same primary Microsoft Account set up (i.e not as a second account).

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
This would be the messaging backup. In Windows Phone 8.1, it was the SMS backup option that needed to be set. In Windows 10 Mobile, it's 'Messaging Everywhere'. I believe that both phones should have the same primary Microsoft Account set up (i.e not as a second account).

Set it up last night. Works... ok I guess. Takes awhile to sync and I get no notification of the incoming/synched SMS on the second phone. So... not sure if it will work for OP or not. Won't work well for me if I cant get notified.

Thanks for the info.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It basically works in the same way as having the same email address on different phones.

The flow is:
1) SMS comes in to the phone
2) The Messaging Everywhere feature copies the SMS into a special kind of email, linked to your Microsoft Account
3) The pseudo email then syncs to the cloud when your phone makes an email sync (hidden folder in your outlook email)
4) The pseudo email syncs to your other device(s) when the make an email sync

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It basically works in the same way as having the same email address on different phones.

The flow is:
1) SMS comes in to the phone
2) The Messaging Everywhere feature copies the SMS into a special kind of email, linked to your Microsoft Account
3) The pseudo email then syncs to the cloud when your phone makes an email sync (hidden folder in your outlook email)
4) The pseudo email syncs to your other device(s) when the make an email sync

Hmm, interesting. Guess I was thinking it would be working more like iMessage does on iOS. Maybe they will revise a bit more with newer builds. It is in beta, after all.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
For Verizon you dial *72 then the number you want to forward to and press send. To unforward the calls you either push *720 or *73. I forward my verizon work phone to my personal phone so I only have to carry one phone.

That only works for voice calls.

I forward my calls alot, since the facility I work in does not allow camera phones.

MA70mgte

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon app Message+ workes well for this.
There is even a Windows 10 app.
Messages that come in to my Icon are forwarded to my work phone and PC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon