Get out of the Insider Program now...Redstone coming to Slow ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I guess I have been one of the lucky ones. My 950XL has been very solid with the latest Redstone build.. I am happy to have vvm working on it, and the map app, after an quick update to squash a bug, has been the best Microsoft map app so far for me.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently on insider fast ring. Can anyone tell me how to switch to slow or production? I changed fast to slow insider on the app, but it seems nothing was changed. do you have to hard reset the device?

ddartman7

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently on insider fast ring. Can anyone tell me how to switch to slow or production? I changed fast to slow insider on the app, but it seems nothing was changed. do you have to hard reset the device?

If you changed to Slow, you can confirm by touching the ellipsis (. . .) on the bottom right of the Windows Insider App. From the menu options, select "About". It will tell you the current phone setup for insider builds.

ddartman7

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I guess I have been one of the lucky ones. My 950XL has been very solid with the latest Redstone build.. I am happy to have vvm working on it, and the map app, after an quick update to squash a bug, has been the best Microsoft map app so far for me.

My 950XL has also been relatively stable with this build. There have been a few quirky things I have noticed but absolutely nothing that has me running for the WDRT.

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
It boggles my mind. Microsoft recently added the Release Preview ring specifically for people who wanted to stay as up-to-date as possible with Threshold builds but did not want to receive Redstone builds and now there's all these people running around like headless chickens because Microsoft dared to release a Redstone build on the Slow ring without informing them. If you didn't want Redstone then you should have been on Release Preview. That's what its for. You got what you deserve.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Took the plunge because the bugs in 10584 were driving me crazy anyway. So far so good. I do dislike the fact that apps go missing after an update. I have a new empty spot on my start screen, and I can't for the life of me remember what was there. I guess I'll find out when I need it. :winktongue:

breadbooze

Feb 13, 2008
Visit site
On slow ring. Noticed the phone went redstone over the weekend. Now GPS is no longer working (cell/wifi location services still work). Also I have a heater in my pocket. Battery life went downhill fast. Last time redstone was on this phone, wifi eventually quit and WDRT had to be used. Switched to fast ring, hopefully MS releases a more stable redstone build soon.

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I was dreading this update based on the comments here and known issues relative to Band 2. Given the choice to endure the pain of a hard reset or venture into the unknown, I decided to make the leap to 14295 knowing full well that if it sucked as bad as purported, I could then do the WDRT on my 950XL which would be no more painful than a hard reset. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. To my great surprise, the update was painless, the "known issues" relative to the Band 2 have not materialized and everything running well (so far). Time will tell.... ymmv

Lumia 640 user here on preview release .164.. thinking to bite the bullet n go redstone or not.. Whats your experience so far with it?

ddartman7

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 640 user here on preview release .164.. thinking to bite the bullet n go redstone or not.. Whats your experience so far with it?

.164 is definitely more stable - however this build has been better than I expected it to be. Runs mostly well and battery life has actually been better for me,but some apps don't play well with it... specifically the Instagram (WM10) Beta. Running that app results in immediate system lockup and the only way out is a soft reset. There are some interesting improvements to live tiles but I would say if you're happy on .164, sit tight as there is not (imo) any significant feature set enhancements on 14295.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just reset my 950xl from the slow ring red stone build to stock. the reason I upgraded was visual voicemail, and wanting that feature. the reason i've downgraded was the build was unstable due to:
  1. inconsistent logging in
    1. when i get a notification, the pin disappears, and i can't log in
  2. battery usage spiking
    1. the battery setting says the start screen is using 11% over the past 24 hours. that's pretty significant. i don't know why it's using that much, since i'm not really doing anything different. my only interpretation is there's a new feature in the start screen that we don't know about that's draining battery.

ddartman7

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I just reset my 950xl from the slow ring red stone build to stock. the reason I upgraded was visual voicemail, and wanting that feature. the reason i've downgraded was the build was unstable....

Yeah, 14295 is definitely stinky. Not as bad as I feared, no where near good enough to be a daily driver. I've decided to muddle through with it until the next build arrives and hope that ends up being stable enough to stick with until the official Redstone production build arrives. If not there will be a restore in my not distant future as well.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I'd just like to do a survey on how many complaining about a buggy beta(i nearly wet myself every time i read these), are actual devs? And another hand count on how many READ THE FLIPPING DISCLAIMER WHEN INSTALLING INSIDER? Sorry, caps lock got stuck. And another hand count on how many realize that Insider is to TEST and not GET new features?

ddartman7

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I'd just like to do a survey on how many complaining about a buggy beta(i nearly wet myself every time i read these), are actual devs?

Can I offer you a towel to dry yourself sir? Or perhaps I can give you a hand getting down off your high-horse? I guess all us numbskulls in the Insider program missed the part in the "FLIPPING DISCLAIMER" where it stipulates the Windows Insider program exists solely for the benefit of "actual devs". Oh wait - memo from Microsoft "The Windows Insider Program is open to EVERYONE".

The quality of any build is subjective, particularly beta releases. Yeah, this build has too many bugs that, for the average user means they may wish to skip it and stay on the preview release channel. That of course is just my experience and observation. As I said in an earlier post - ymmv.

Many people come to a forum like this seeking the guidance and experience of others. So other than a few lines of snark, what have you contributed to help those people looking for guidance as it relates to this insider build?.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Your post proves my point, to a tee. What help are any of you giving MS by freaking out and the OP telling people to get out of Insider. Your JOB as an insider is to help with bug detection and testing. The fact you guys back out to a stable build is proof it NEEDS to be a dev only program. You guys just want shiny and new, period. Stick with the build, report bugs, test, and DONT install on a daily driver like it says in the disclaimer. You can learn a lot by reading before clicking agree.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Can I offer you a towel to dry yourself sir? Or perhaps I can give you a hand getting down off your high-horse?

I literally spat my drank at this line. It's been awhile since I found actual humor on WC that isn't me laughing at people constantly pushing Android as the be all end all answer.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
To be fair I never report bugs. I just like early updates lmao

At least you are honest about it. I can respect that. But I can't respect "it's crap" or other nonsense about it "breaking" phones. I'm sure by admitting that, you wouldn't post on here how MS owes you a phone if it ever bricked. And people posting here isn't reporting bugs to MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234