Lumia 640 (CV), Official update to W10M from Developer preview?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Lumia 640 (CV), Official update to W10M from Developer preview

Hi guys, during early February I had updated my Lumia 640 (CV) to developer preview version.

I do understand we doesn't need to revert back to previous version just to get the official W10M update and I had leave the developer program and never had any update since early February.

My question is, will I get this batch of official update to Windows 10 Mobile? Or I'll have to wait until future official update just to switch back to stable mode? Thanks.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 640 (CV), Official update to W10M from Developer preview

If you are already on build .164 then just switch to 'production' via the Insider app.
You will then get any official updates.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

If you are already on build .164 then just switch to 'production' via the Insider app.
You will then get any official updates.

.164 is the official version. So if your phone is on .164 you are not going to get the update.

Production ring is not official builds.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

.164 is the official version. So if your phone is on .164 you are not going to get the update.

Production ring is not official builds.

Hi, I don't think I worded my post correctly.
My understanding is that if you are on .164 (through Insider or Official update) that is the latest build (for threshold builds).
So what users can do if they wanted to stick with official updates is just opt out of the Insider program by choosing the 'Production' ring.
The user would then just get official releases for the build they were on.

Would that be correct?
It is what I understand from the Microsoft FAQ post (link below).
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...lout-faq/9861c093-fe98-482e-850d-7ca86433bd7d

Last edited:

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a related question..
I'm currently running the Insider Preview version .164 on my Lumia 925 but I plan on picking up a 640. This same preview version on a Lumia 925 has software elements that are really rather buggy. I'm not talking about my phone's processor or GPU being sluggish and non-responsive, I'm talking about UI elements that are broken or missing. When I put the Insider Preview on the 640, isn't it going to be the exact same software that I have now? Or will the 640 actually get a different software version altogether? Because if it is the same thing just on a better specs phone, I'd like to know that.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
It's going to be the same software.
Ok, so you still can't reposition the keyboard vertically, HD video still flickers all over the place when playing and crashes to the lock screen, live tiles are still wonky, camera app exhibits weird behaviour, etc.
So any difference I feel will come from the quad core, the faster processor, but the UI I have now will be the same on the 640. Got it. Thank you!

BenLumia

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site

I'll ask you to give us the details of your Lumia 640, which network and where are you from? If its At&t is that GoPhone?

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I'll ask you to give us the details of your Lumia 640, which network and where are you from? If its At&t is that GoPhone?
I'm pretty sure you're speaking to the OP, but the one I'm planning on getting is the ATT Go (RM-1073) to unlock for another network. Would that matter? Also, couldn't I just flash an unbranded CV 1073?

BenLumia

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site

Microsoft mentioned that they'll be rolling an official update step by step in other hand T-Mobile users gets the update before then will be spreading update to the next Carrier or the next region etc....

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Hi, I don't think I worded my post correctly.
My understanding is that if you are on .164 (through Insider or Official update) that is the latest build (for threshold builds).
So what users can do if they wanted to stick with official updates is just opt out of the Insider program by choosing the 'Production' ring.
The user would then just get official releases for the build they were on.

Would that be correct?
It is what I understand from the Microsoft FAQ post (link below).
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...lout-faq/9861c093-fe98-482e-850d-7ca86433bd7d

Production ring is for firmware updates. Not OS updates.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so you still can't reposition the keyboard vertically, HD video still flickers all over the place when playing and crashes to the lock screen, live tiles are still wonky, camera app exhibits weird behaviour, etc.
So any difference I feel will come from the quad core, the faster processor, but the UI I have now will be the same on the 640. Got it. Thank you!

No. Different hardware = different drivers. And video issues etc. relate to that. Runs fine on L640 hardware.

Ian Beeson

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

Has anyone go the official w10m update on the 640 cv in the UK yet, Ive used the update advisor app and nothing yet. Is that correct?

lostnowfound

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Downloaded the official W10M on Friday 01/04/2016 ( no it's not a joke) , the process took about 100 mins. All seemed to go smoothly apart from Groove which took the rest of the day to sort itself out. There was also another update on the 02/04/2016 which took about 30 mins to complete this download, which ended with the number 64, sorry did not get the rest of the number.
Lumia 640 purchased direct from Windows Store , O2 , UK

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

I have a Lumia 830 on AT&T. I have downloaded the Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor.

Still getting the "Your phone is up to date" message - and *not* being offered Windows 10 Mobile yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa