External Microphone Question 950xl

Alsatian1

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I would like an external lapel mic for my YouTube videos when outside. However I got a speedlink one on amazon with a 3.5mm jack, and while it fits and silences the speakers, the phone continues to use the on board mic. I have also tested this on my old Lumia 1020, and my brothers Lumia 640. Am I doing something wrong or have I bought the wrong mic, or are the phones even capable of having an external mic? Thanks in advance ☺

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I've never tried it, but from what I understand, external microphones work with audio recording apps, but do not work with the Lumia / Windows Camera app when recording video.

I think you are stuck with recording external audio on one device, and recording video on another device, then sync the audio track when editing. Or maybe you can run an audio recording app in the background while recording video, but you'd still have to combine the audio track with the video.

Alsatian1

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I haven't been able to get it to work with a sound recording app either unfortunately. I'm thinking I may just get a separate sound recorder device to link the mic to, and like you say sync the audio at editing stage. Inside or when not windy outside, the phones mic is pretty impressive actually, but it is very susceptible to being drowned out by even a slight wind noise.

newgamertag

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Ooh no! Sounds like the 930 all over again! Haven't been able to record sound with it since the denim update 2. Just broken! Good luck...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99