Can One Own a 950 Without Constant Updating?

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty bummed about the whole W10M thing and am considering switching off the platform. On the otherhand, I'm not very enthused about the other platforms either. The L950 is at least decent on paper, but is it really ready? I haven't played with W10M at all and need my phone to be rock solid since it's the only phone I'll have. I don't have time to be constantly updating the thing to find that something that worked last week is now suddenly broken. I don't want to have to deal with insider builds or anything that your average Joe off the street wouldn't do. It's not that I can't - its that I don't want to do it.

It needs to just work 99% of the time. That's the experience I continue to have with my L920.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty bummed about the whole W10M thing and am considering switching off the platform. On the otherhand, I'm not very enthused about the other platforms either. The L950 is at least decent on paper, but is it really ready? I haven't played with W10M at all and need my phone to be rock solid since it's the only phone I'll have. I don't have time to be constantly updating the thing to find that something that worked last week is now suddenly broken. I don't want to have to deal with insider builds or anything that your average Joe off the street wouldn't do. It's not that I can't - its that I don't want to do it.

It needs to just work 99% of the time. That's the experience I continue to have with my L920.

Heck of a dream sequence but here is the reality. Expect Windows 10, like any other OS on any platform to morph over time, this one in particular. Its building in very new technologies, many being requested by many in Uservoice to make this OS the best it can be. In order to make that happen, things that worked today, may be temporally unavailable tomorrow. It is the nature of the beast. If that is something you want to roll with, sit tight and hold on. If not, don't burden yourself with this phone at this time. This OS requires to you be light on your feet and if you are at any way flatfooted, it might not work for you.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

I'd stay stick with the 920 for now if it is serving you well, it is a nice phone.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
One of the most complain about Android devices is no updates on firmware and OS,
And don't roll in insider program if you don't want end up beta updates and stick to official release updates only..

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
So far, the L950 has had an update once a month. If you're in the insider program, then more than that. If you're in the insider program, go back to the production line and just receive updates once a month again, at least then the phone will stay stable for you.

Tiiger88

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Constant updating is how constant? Go to android device, and after a year of no updates u cry like a baby i guess :) Everyone wants to get updates at some point, because updates actually still fix issues and problems....and sometimes even add new features...

Like zulfigar said, yes updates comes once a month and that is really ok!

ACF1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Yes, you can buy a 950 without constant updating.....just like any other Windows 10m device. Since I bought the phone back in February, there have been 2 updates to the OS and one Firmware update. All of them improved the OS/phone, none of those broke anything to my knowledge. These updates for non-insiders, meaning, official public releases, have been somewhat frequent as the OS was so rough when it released on the 950s. These should start to decrease in frequency as MS start polishing the Win10 core, hopefully after Redstone is released this summer. Then you should expect one or two (at most) updates a year, pretty much all just to include new features.

I switched from L920 to L950, and couldn't be happier. My only issue right after update .164 is with cortana. In fact, I'm not sure if it is .164 fault or an app I installed, but everytime I search something, it immediately crashes after the page result, and I have to retype the search 2 or 3 times for it to work, so it is annoying. I will hard reset and see if that fixes it.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
You could always get the AT&T variant :)

but seriously, i can see the OP's issue as an update can't make your phone useless for 5-30 minutes as it updates (depending on the update.)

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
You could always get the AT&T variant :)

but seriously, i can see the OP's issue as an update can't make your phone useless for 5-30 minutes as it updates (depending on the update.)
But update normally running at 2-3AM when you are sleeping and so it would be done when you wake up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon