Coming from Nokia 928, how does the 735 compare?

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nokia 928 but want to move to a phone that will be able to get Windows 10 mobile updates. The main thing I'm worried about with the 735 is how its camera would compare to the 928? I'll miss Glance as well but can deal with it as long as I can still get good pictures. Thanks

wolfpack219

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Running a Verizon 735

I'm running a 735 and I believe the camera takes good pictures. I have never had a 900 series but I enjoy the camera on the 735 just fine. It also runs windows 10 well.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can't say about the camera, but the battery life will be much much better.

Also, unless you want to go Insider, I wouldn't bet on Verizon letting the 735 get 10.

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Can't say about the camera, but the battery life will be much much better.

Also, unless you want to go Insider, I wouldn't bet on Verizon letting the 735 get 10.

I'm on insider with the 928 and figured I'd have to do the same with the 735. From my understanding though, I can't go past build .164 on the 928 though where the 735 will continue to get new insider builds. I was also told to take advantage of some of the new features coming with Windows 10 Anniversary update (Universal dismiss and Notification Mirroring), I'd need a phone on a newer build. If you want these and are on Verizon, it looks like its either the 735 or move to Android. Potentially a third party could come though with a phone or maybe Microsoft will add the Icon but I'm not going to count on it.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Photos are comparable. The lack of a dedicated camera button isn't. I miss that. Other than that, it is lighter, better battery, I like the fact I can slide the on-screen buttons out of the way and they rotate when needed. It is solid enough. After all, it is just a phone. The price is right.

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Photos are comparable. The lack of a dedicated camera button isn't. I miss that. Other than that, it is lighter, better battery, I like the fact I can slide the on-screen buttons out of the way and they rotate when needed. It is solid enough. After all, it is just a phone. The price is right.

I'm stuck on Verizon and I'm trying to decide to get the 735 or give Android a try. I might pick up a low end Android and see if I can deal with it. There are a few apps missing I'd like to get and I just need to decide if they are worth making the switch for vs dealing with Android. I really hate that things have come to this and never thought I'd even consider moving to Android.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I understand Microsoft's angle. They are in in for the very long haul. I have needs now that I'm not sure I want to wait that long for. There are fishing apps I want and do not see them coming to Windows anytime soon, so I am also thinking of a switch. BUT, those apps could also be used offline, so a cheap Android tablet will satisfy my needs, while allowing me to keep my Windows Mobile device. Regardless, I wish Microsoft would $hit or get off the pot already. This constant reboot has driven developers away. This constant "coming soon" has grown to an industry understanding of Microsoft. Why develop when they are just going to change it in a couple years. Even Win 10 has been changing focus. Bots? Really? Time will tell.

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I understand what they are doing and think it is going to take some time but probably is the only option they have right now. I can always come back once/if things fall into place. I think I can test drive an Android pretty cheap right now and try to set up things to work. Depending on how that goes, I'll probably get something like a Nexus or I'll get the 735.

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm stuck on Verizon and I'm trying to decide to get the 735 or give Android a try. I might pick up a low end Android and see if I can deal with it. There are a few apps missing I'd like to get and I just need to decide if they are worth making the switch for vs dealing with Android. I really hate that things have come to this and never thought I'd even consider moving to Android.

I'd look for a Motorola DROID Turbo on the secondary market. It is still a powerful device that you can get for relatively little money. You could also get a 735 (I just bought one for under $60) and keep your hand in both environments.

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
The Lumia 735 is a SMALL phone compared to almost everything else out there. After lugging around an iPhone 6s Plus for a while it's a welcome change. It's a little hard on my tired old eyes, but the Lumia is nice. And you can't beat the price with a stick!

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hmm Coming from a 928 and going to a 735 you'd be losing on Glance

CPU is better on the 735 but loses out on the GPU side.
You get only 16GB of ROM on the 735 but it is offset on the fact that it has a micro SD slot.
There's a better front facing camera on the 735.
The camera is smaller at 6.7MP verses 8.7MP but I believe the 735 has a bigger aperture F1.9 (absorbs more light) than the 928 at F2.0
You're gonna lose the Xenon flash of the 928.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Sadly it's been years since Microsoft released any successors to phones in the 900 series aside from the AT&T exclusive 950. Even the 4 year old Lumia 920 as well as the 928 are still superior to Microsoft's newest phones in the 500-800 series. I used to have a 928 but I couldn't wait any longer for Microsoft to release a new phone so I had no choice but to temporarily upgrade to a Galaxy S6, hoping that once my contract is up, there'll be a new Windows Phone for me to return to.

To answer your question though, the 928 is far superior to the 735 across the board except for the CPU and front camera. The 928 has a dual-core CPU while the 735 has a quad-core, albeit at a lower clock speed. The 928 excels in all other areas though despite being significantly older than the 735. The 928 has the better camera, flash, glance, dedicated camera button, hardware buttons (preference based) and so on. The 735 does have the advantage of a microSD card though and replaceable battery. That doesn't mean the 735 is a bad phone though. It's just switching to it from the 928 is really considered more of a downgrade. I know someone that switched to the 735 from the Lumia Icon and that is quite the downgrade indeed, but so far the 735 has been "usable".

falcon23

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I used to have a 928 and the 735 has been nice so far. The removable battery and SD card support are nice advantages. I do miss the camera on the 928 though. Apps for the most part run the same and the battery life seems better.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720