View Poll Results: Is Windows 10 Mobile ready and stable enough on the Lumia 830 to replace Windows 8.1?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, W10M is better than W8.1, very stable & fast. Best thing EVAR !

5 14.29%
  • W10M is better than W8.1, still has bugs but OK for a work critical phone

16 45.71%
  • W10M is good enough today, but still too buggy for a work phone

5 14.29%
  • W10M is not ready yet, but should be soon. Try at your own risk.

7 20.00%
  • W10M is a disaster, staying on W8.1 or switching to Android/iOS

2 5.71%
04-24-2016 03:12 AM
65 123
tools
    @Oubadah All the same as me except provider (which shouldn't matter) and firmware, my firmware: 02040.0021.15235.53001 though if you used the recovery tool, you'd have the latest firmware version.
    I watched your video, I don't see what you mean by "tearing," it just looks like you're swiping to settings from the start screen. Where is the tear?

HERE maps will be gone in June. The Maps app by Microsoft uses HERE data and IMO, it's more accurate. I actually prefer Maps to HERE for my GPS use.
    Did Lumia Camera uninstall itself when you went to 10? I can't speak from experience because I manually uninstalled it, I don't use it. Though if you stay on 10, you can switch to developer mode settings and side load it as a xap: [XAP] Applications that are not available in… | Windows 10 Development and Hacking

Just to contradict me though, I tried replying to this thread last night from Edge, and that failed, booh on that.
    Sites that are packed with ads crash both Edge and UC Browser for me. I never browse this site outside of the Windows Central app. I think the ad-crashing is more of a problem of the website than the OS itself. I shouldn't be subject to immense amounts of ads on mobile!

Which WC app are you using, the one by Jay or the W10 version? The one by Jay, you can adjust how many posts per page, and you swipe right to the next page. If you click the pagination buttons you land on either the first or last page.
    04-15-2016 02:15 PM
    @Oubadah All the same as me except provider (which shouldn't matter) and firmware, my firmware: 02040.0021.15235.53001 though if you used the recovery tool, you'd have the latest firmware version.
    Yeah, that's the firmware the recovery tool gave me. I guess it's the 9 vs 1 on the end is probably regional (I'm in NZ).

I watched your video, I don't see what you mean by "tearing," it just looks like you're swiping to settings from the start screen. Where is the tear?
    There is blatant tearing at the top of the screen. Look at the Facebook icon. Re-reading the thread properly, I now see that this is a known issue.
    04-15-2016 04:43 PM
    I purchased a Lumia 830 second hand, and it came with Windows 10. The Windows environment felt clunky and stuttery, but since I had nothing to compare it to (this being my first Windows phone) I assumed it was probably normal. However, there was also screen tearing at the top of the screen which was really bothering me. I tried resetting the phone twice, and this made no difference to the performance or the tearing.

This morning I ran the Windows Device Recovery Tool on it, which appeared to have a newer version of firmware (unless I read it wrong) so I let it run, expecting it to stay on Windows 10. When the phone restarted, it was like a completely different phone. The tearing was gone, but also the Windows environment was silky smooth and responsive.

I soon discovered that it had installed Windows 8.1 (8.10.14234.375).

I now want to update to Windows 10 again to see it the firmware has made any difference, but the problem is that The phone says it's on the latest OS, and it doesn't even seem to be on the latest version of 8.1. What should I do?
    Install the Windows Insider app and sign up for the Release Preview ring, then go to System Updates and update your phone. When that's done, update it again, and you should be good to go!
    04-15-2016 09:54 PM

• Battery life on WP8.1 is about 33% better. I could get 48 hours out of WP8.1. That's down to 36 hours on WM10. I've turned data collection down to "Basic" to see if that makes a difference. Rotten battery life is one reason I switched from Android in the first place.
    Just wanted to follow up on this. Build .218 with data collection/diagnostic information on Basic instead of Full (Recommended) my battery life has increased by about 1/3, from 36 hours to about 48 hours. This is comparable to the battery life I got on WP8.1. It may be confirmation bias, but I think performance may have improved as well.
    04-15-2016 09:58 PM
    Okay, running since March 24th as Microsoft Australia was about a week late pushing the button.

I'm very tempted to roll back to Windows 8.1 but figure after doing that 2-3 times from Insider Builds on other phones, I might just buy a new phone... no promises that will be Lumia 950 or 950XL...

My issues are:

- Battery Drain. It's now terrible. So much so that I now find it necessary to carry my replacement battery.
    - Wi-Fi and a "No Internet Access" issue. Doesn't matter which modem I connect to (work, home, parents), randomly I see a "4G" in the top left of my phone screen. Only solution I know is a restart.
    - I miss the wallet and having a balance. For one who uses my Microsoft balance every 2nd or 3rd day, having to sign in can be annoying.
    - The Music playing and jumping experienced on the lock screen is an issue. Also, all songs show up as steaming, regardless if they are saved to an MMC or not in the drop down player.
    - Lastly, the times I am asked "Are you enjoying xxx app" is terrible. I'm not on a test or dev device, I'm on the production release so STOP asking me this question. Every app that does now (mostly Microsoft) can enjoy a 1 star rating from me.

Shame as my Lumia 830 (and the star or Quantum Break) was once a great phone that I used to highly recommend... now... not so much.
    04-16-2016 03:12 AM
    Look is great......performance is good....
    Battery without using wifi or cellular data can easily last more than 24 hrs.
    On wifi about 8- 10 hrs max.
    Apart from that a few bugs here and there.....some times edge stutters while scrolling. Same with the start screen(very rare).
    Overall its fun to use.
    04-16-2016 04:46 AM
    Just wanted to follow up on this. Build .218 with data collection/diagnostic information on Basic instead of Full (Recommended) my battery life has increased by about 1/3, from 36 hours to about 48 hours. This is comparable to the battery life I got on WP8.1. It may be confirmation bias, but I think performance may have improved as well.
    48h battery life? Color me impressed, I get a days worth at most, even with 8.1. Maybe time for a new battery...
    I switched data collection to basic, will see if it has any impact.
    04-16-2016 09:32 AM
    Sites that are packed with ads crash both Edge and UC Browser for me. I never browse this site outside of the Windows Central app. I think the ad-crashing is more of a problem of the website than the OS itself. I shouldn't be subject to immense amounts of ads on mobile!

Which WC app are you using, the one by Jay or the W10 version? The one by Jay, you can adjust how many posts per page, and you swipe right to the next page. If you click the pagination buttons you land on either the first or last page.
    Aye, agreed on mobile sites should be leaner on ads. Seems to me sites should also ensure they work well with their intended audience : if your site is about Windows Mobile, make sure it displays correctly and works correctly for that platform.

For the WC app : I was trying out the W10M version, it's very nice but doesn't work well for the forums. I've been using Jay's before that forever - it works very well (including the forums), but the design feels dated today.
    04-16-2016 01:08 PM
    Okay, running since March 24th as Microsoft Australia was about a week late pushing the button.

I'm very tempted to roll back to Windows 8.1 but figure after doing that 2-3 times from Insider Builds on other phones, I might just buy a new phone... no promises that will be Lumia 950 or 950XL...

My issues are:

- Battery Drain. It's now terrible. So much so that I now find it necessary to carry my replacement battery.
    - Wi-Fi and a "No Internet Access" issue. Doesn't matter which modem I connect to (work, home, parents), randomly I see a "4G" in the top left of my phone screen. Only solution I know is a restart.
    - I miss the wallet and having a balance. For one who uses my Microsoft balance every 2nd or 3rd day, having to sign in can be annoying.
    - The Music playing and jumping experienced on the lock screen is an issue. Also, all songs show up as steaming, regardless if they are saved to an MMC or not in the drop down player.
    - Lastly, the times I am asked "Are you enjoying xxx app" is terrible. I'm not on a test or dev device, I'm on the production release so STOP asking me this question. Every app that does now (mostly Microsoft) can enjoy a 1 star rating from me.

Shame as my Lumia 830 (and the star or Quantum Break) was once a great phone that I used to highly recommend... now... not so much.
    These all sound like Redstone issues. It's awful with the 830. Avoid Slow & Fast rings with Insider while you are using the 830, Release or Production work much better!

You can get rid of alot of the feedback nags by going to: Settings -> in "Find a Setting" seachbox, type "feedback" -> Select Feedback & Diagnostics

Change the following:
    Windows should ask for my feedback: Never
    Diagnostic and usage data: Basic (a few have reported in this thread, that anything other that Basic gobbles battery)
    04-16-2016 01:30 PM
    You did not mention random "Screen blackouts". Did you not have them?
    Oh man, these kill me. MS says they can't reproduce reliably. Just use the Wikipedia app from Rudy Huyn for more than 10 seconds and you'll see it.
    04-17-2016 10:15 AM
    hi i want to asked.. i use lumia 830 at&t..but i checked for updated to windows10 with upgrade advisor. after that i go to phone update. but i still dont get the win10 update..when lumia830 at&t got window10 updated??
    04-18-2016 01:16 AM
    Hi, folks. I'm the Nervous Nelly type and will almost certainly wait for the official carrier release (AT&T) before making the switch. But I'm curious about a comment by at least a couple of you above regarding the font in W10.

Readability is a BIG issue for my aging eyes, even with trifocals. Could someone with insight (pun intended) on this provide more information?

Thanks, as always, to those of you who blaze the trail ahead for the rest of us!
    04-18-2016 12:42 PM
    Found information on the font issue in the "Lumia 830 and Windows 10" thread. Sorry for not checking there first, and thanks to KefKef, et al.!
    04-18-2016 01:18 PM
    hi i want to asked.. i use lumia 830 at&t..but i checked for updated to windows10 with upgrade advisor. after that i go to phone update. but i still dont get the win10 update..when lumia830 at&t got window10 updated??
    Don't know if at&t rolled out the update, but you can install Windows Insider if you want W10M right now. Just make sure to choose Release or Production ring, not Fast or Slow rings.
    Last edited by fgaudet; 04-18-2016 at 04:13 PM. Reason: typo
    04-18-2016 02:48 PM
    I upgraded my lumia 830 to w10 yesterday, and I'm having a BIG problem: I can't access my text messages or write new text messages! Messages-app needs access to Contacts-app, but in contacts settings menu all app on/off buttons are faded out, and all buttons are marked 'off'!!
    I've installed all updates via update advisor and app-store, and tried soft restart and switching phone on/off. The buttons are still faded out! Please help!

Edith: seems like my only option is hard reset...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...3-e874438c2327
    Last edited by ni76; 04-24-2016 at 03:54 AM.
    04-24-2016 03:12 AM
65 123