Windows 10 on Lumia 830 : yes or no, is it ready, any major bugs?

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
@Kornster What version of Windows 10 were you on and was it Insider or Production build?
What variant of the 830 is your phone?

Kornster

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
@Kornster What version of Windows 10 were you on and was it Insider or Production build?

Hi Thron,

I was on the latest "Fast Ring" for the insider preview (From not long ago. Sorry phone has been restored to 8.10 so i cannot verify what version it was at the time) and i know i`ve been told to be on the "Slow Ring" but when you have the problems i was having you want updates ASAP in the hopes something thats broken may be fixed. The variant. Its just a Telstra phone i purchased outright from the Telstra store here in Australia. Hopefully the screenshot attaches.

Last edited:

Kornster

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site

Hi Thron,

I was on the latest "Fast Ring" for the insider preview (Only just got it recently. Sorry it`s been removed so i cannot verify what version it was) and i know i`ve been told to be on the "Slow Ring" but when you have the problems i was having you want updates ASAP in the hopes something thats broken may be fixed. The variant. Its just a Telstra phone i purchased outright from the Telstra store here in Australia. Hopefully the screenshot attaches.

Last edited:

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Slow ring is out of date by only a few days from fast ring; it's a "tester" build designed for bug feedback before releasing it to the "public" on the Production ring. I had to learn that the hard way. (Slow is not 'slow' in this case..!)
Slow ring was awful on my 830, too; but only when it was the Redstone build. It came to my phone last week some time. Is that when you had it, too?

Before Redstone though, Windows 10 worked good with my 830. I had W10 on my phone since the first week of March.

When you downgraded back to 8.1, did you do so through the Windows Device Recovery Tool? Your firmware build and radio software version is quite different from mine (but may also be due to variant differences).. I have the RM-985 from Fido Canada.

If your firmware is out of date, it may also mess up how Windows 10 works on your phone.

Tip: You may want to photoshop your IMEI out of the screenshot. That number is unique to your phone and depending how your provider works, somebody that's bored out there may be able to report it as stolen on you..

Kornster

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi Thron, I thought about that attachment after i uploaded it, so i removed them. Anyway it was the Fast Ring update from like a week ago but even before this i had issues with WP10. I cannot recall ever having a good run with it to be honest.

When i downgraded i used the Windows Device Recovery software to do it. I`d say the firmware and builds are different as we are in different countries. I know i cannot use say a US released phone over here due to the difference in the LTE network`s so that could explain why you see something different. If my firmware is out of date i am unsure on how to upgrade it to a more recent version. I cannot even recall ever seeing anything to update it but upgrading the firmware is probably not something to mess with.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
The recovery tool doesn't appear to give you an option of whether or not to upgrade the firmware. (It auto-upgraded my firmware when I ran that tool, too.) So you'd have the latest firmware and radio software available for your variant.

Which is interesting. As you see from this thread some people have a number of issues with 10 and then others (like me) have none, aside from negligible bugs.

I'm wondering if those that have so many issues with 10 all have the same variant and/or firmware build. I'm also curious what's different in the hardware/firmware that would cause such issues. Is MS maybe building W10 compatibility only for one 830 variant? If so, what is different about the build (or variant) that causes these conflicts? Anyone know?

Oubadah

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
You have to go to Store and install "Upgrade Advisor". Run it and follow instructions. That is the proper way to OTA upgrade to W10M from WPh8.1

Thanks, I was able to re-install 10 that way. Unfortunately, it's still much less smooth than 8.1 was, and now that I've had a taste of that, I don't think I can put up with 10. EDIT: The screen tearing is back too, it varies in intensity. Example of tearing:

I'm going to run the tool again to revert to 8.1 as it seems to provide a better experience. Also, am I right in my understanding that I'll be able to keep the HERE maps app and the Lumia camera app (as opposed to Windows camera, which seems to produce inferior results) if I stay on 8.1?

The one problem is that the tool installs 8.10.14234.375, which appears to be an outdated build, and as I said above, 8.1 would not return any newer updates when I used the "check for updates" function. Is 8.10.14234.375 supposed to be the latest version of 8.1 for the 830, and if not, how would I update it?

I'm wondering if those that have so many issues with 10 all have the same variant and/or firmware build.

Well for the record here's mine:

gFU2Epf.png

Last edited:

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I made the jump two days ago from 8.1 to 10586.218 using Windows Insider release preview ring, and everything has been very smooth since. It first updated to .107 then .218 the next morning.
Just to contradict me though, I tried replying to this thread last night from Edge, and that failed, booh on that.

Otherwise, performance is fine and smooth even if at times a touch slower than 8.1, email tile notification count is working, no reboots, no screen flicker or tearing, apps all seem to work fine, battery life seems the same as 8.1, Bluetooth & Wifi seem stable.

I do miss the weather on Glance and the lock screen, hope they bring this back soon.

The new Windows Central app is very nice but the forums section is missing a "Go to last post" and pagination would be better than infinite scroll imho and replying to posts doesn't seem to work.

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I ended up jumping to the fast ring to get the latest Redstone build. I was stuck on the previous build of Redstone (and didn't want to go through the hassle of rolling back to 8.1 and then reinstalling 10). So far, I think it's a fantastic build. It had a huge changelog of fixes and I haven't run in to too many issues. I've been pleasantly surprised. We'll see how it wears over the next few days.

Nitish_KSharma

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Well. I have been using it for a long time now. Started as Insider in December '15 on this phone and even then the performance was super smooth. After the stable release, it has become even better. It is my primary phone and I have not felt any frustration with performance or anything. Runs perfectly like stock software. and its a Fido phone. Last Lumia they sold and literally the last Lumia of the store I bought it from :p

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
@Oubadah All the same as me except provider (which shouldn't matter) and firmware, my firmware: 02040.0021.15235.53001 though if you used the recovery tool, you'd have the latest firmware version.
I watched your video, I don't see what you mean by "tearing," it just looks like you're swiping to settings from the start screen. Where is the tear?

HERE maps will be gone in June. The Maps app by Microsoft uses HERE data and IMO, it's more accurate. I actually prefer Maps to HERE for my GPS use.
Did Lumia Camera uninstall itself when you went to 10? I can't speak from experience because I manually uninstalled it, I don't use it. Though if you stay on 10, you can switch to developer mode settings and side load it as a xap: [XAP] Applications that are not available in… | Windows 10 Development and Hacking

Just to contradict me though, I tried replying to this thread last night from Edge, and that failed, booh on that.
Sites that are packed with ads crash both Edge and UC Browser for me. I never browse this site outside of the Windows Central app. I think the ad-crashing is more of a problem of the website than the OS itself. I shouldn't be subject to immense amounts of ads on mobile!

Which WC app are you using, the one by Jay or the W10 version? The one by Jay, you can adjust how many posts per page, and you swipe right to the next page. If you click the pagination buttons you land on either the first or last page.

Oubadah

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
@Oubadah All the same as me except provider (which shouldn't matter) and firmware, my firmware: 02040.0021.15235.53001 though if you used the recovery tool, you'd have the latest firmware version.

Yeah, that's the firmware the recovery tool gave me. I guess it's the 9 vs 1 on the end is probably regional (I'm in NZ).

I watched your video, I don't see what you mean by "tearing," it just looks like you're swiping to settings from the start screen. Where is the tear?

There is blatant tearing at the top of the screen. Look at the Facebook icon. Re-reading the thread properly, I now see that this is a known issue.

511pf

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I purchased a Lumia 830 second hand, and it came with Windows 10. The Windows environment felt clunky and stuttery, but since I had nothing to compare it to (this being my first Windows phone) I assumed it was probably normal. However, there was also screen tearing at the top of the screen which was really bothering me. I tried resetting the phone twice, and this made no difference to the performance or the tearing.

This morning I ran the Windows Device Recovery Tool on it, which appeared to have a newer version of firmware (unless I read it wrong) so I let it run, expecting it to stay on Windows 10. When the phone restarted, it was like a completely different phone. The tearing was gone, but also the Windows environment was silky smooth and responsive.

I soon discovered that it had installed Windows 8.1 (8.10.14234.375).

I now want to update to Windows 10 again to see it the firmware has made any difference, but the problem is that The phone says it's on the latest OS, and it doesn't even seem to be on the latest version of 8.1. What should I do?

Install the Windows Insider app and sign up for the Release Preview ring, then go to System Updates and update your phone. When that's done, update it again, and you should be good to go!

511pf

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
  • Battery life on WP8.1 is about 33% better. I could get 48 hours out of WP8.1. That's down to 36 hours on WM10. I've turned data collection down to "Basic" to see if that makes a difference. Rotten battery life is one reason I switched from Android in the first place.

Just wanted to follow up on this. Build .218 with data collection/diagnostic information on Basic instead of Full (Recommended) my battery life has increased by about 1/3, from 36 hours to about 48 hours. This is comparable to the battery life I got on WP8.1. It may be confirmation bias, but I think performance may have improved as well.

Jesse Venables

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Okay, running since March 24th as Microsoft Australia was about a week late pushing the button.

I'm very tempted to roll back to Windows 8.1 but figure after doing that 2-3 times from Insider Builds on other phones, I might just buy a new phone... no promises that will be Lumia 950 or 950XL...

My issues are:

- Battery Drain. It's now terrible. So much so that I now find it necessary to carry my replacement battery.
- Wi-Fi and a "No Internet Access" issue. Doesn't matter which modem I connect to (work, home, parents), randomly I see a "4G" in the top left of my phone screen. Only solution I know is a restart.
- I miss the wallet and having a balance. For one who uses my Microsoft balance every 2nd or 3rd day, having to sign in can be annoying.
- The Music playing and jumping experienced on the lock screen is an issue. Also, all songs show up as steaming, regardless if they are saved to an MMC or not in the drop down player.
- Lastly, the times I am asked "Are you enjoying xxx app" is terrible. I'm not on a test or dev device, I'm on the production release so STOP asking me this question. Every app that does now (mostly Microsoft) can enjoy a 1 star rating from me.

Shame as my Lumia 830 (and the star or Quantum Break) was once a great phone that I used to highly recommend... now... not so much.

UJJWAL MOHANTY

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
Look is great......performance is good....
Battery without using wifi or cellular data can easily last more than 24 hrs.
On wifi about 8- 10 hrs max.
Apart from that a few bugs here and there.....some times edge stutters while scrolling. Same with the start screen(very rare).
Overall its fun to use.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to follow up on this. Build .218 with data collection/diagnostic information on Basic instead of Full (Recommended) my battery life has increased by about 1/3, from 36 hours to about 48 hours. This is comparable to the battery life I got on WP8.1. It may be confirmation bias, but I think performance may have improved as well.

48h battery life? Color me impressed, I get a days worth at most, even with 8.1. Maybe time for a new battery...
I switched data collection to basic, will see if it has any impact.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Sites that are packed with ads crash both Edge and UC Browser for me. I never browse this site outside of the Windows Central app. I think the ad-crashing is more of a problem of the website than the OS itself. I shouldn't be subject to immense amounts of ads on mobile!

Which WC app are you using, the one by Jay or the W10 version? The one by Jay, you can adjust how many posts per page, and you swipe right to the next page. If you click the pagination buttons you land on either the first or last page.

Aye, agreed on mobile sites should be leaner on ads. Seems to me sites should also ensure they work well with their intended audience : if your site is about Windows Mobile, make sure it displays correctly and works correctly for that platform.

For the WC app : I was trying out the W10M version, it's very nice but doesn't work well for the forums. I've been using Jay's before that forever - it works very well (including the forums), but the design feels dated today.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Okay, running since March 24th as Microsoft Australia was about a week late pushing the button.

I'm very tempted to roll back to Windows 8.1 but figure after doing that 2-3 times from Insider Builds on other phones, I might just buy a new phone... no promises that will be Lumia 950 or 950XL...

My issues are:

- Battery Drain. It's now terrible. So much so that I now find it necessary to carry my replacement battery.
- Wi-Fi and a "No Internet Access" issue. Doesn't matter which modem I connect to (work, home, parents), randomly I see a "4G" in the top left of my phone screen. Only solution I know is a restart.
- I miss the wallet and having a balance. For one who uses my Microsoft balance every 2nd or 3rd day, having to sign in can be annoying.
- The Music playing and jumping experienced on the lock screen is an issue. Also, all songs show up as steaming, regardless if they are saved to an MMC or not in the drop down player.
- Lastly, the times I am asked "Are you enjoying xxx app" is terrible. I'm not on a test or dev device, I'm on the production release so STOP asking me this question. Every app that does now (mostly Microsoft) can enjoy a 1 star rating from me.

Shame as my Lumia 830 (and the star or Quantum Break) was once a great phone that I used to highly recommend... now... not so much.
These all sound like Redstone issues. It's awful with the 830. Avoid Slow & Fast rings with Insider while you are using the 830, Release or Production work much better!

You can get rid of alot of the feedback nags by going to: Settings -> in "Find a Setting" seachbox, type "feedback" -> Select Feedback & Diagnostics

Change the following:
Windows should ask for my feedback: Never
Diagnostic and usage data: Basic (a few have reported in this thread, that anything other that Basic gobbles battery)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre