Windows 10 on Lumia 830 : yes or no, is it ready, any major bugs?

niutu

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Oh yeah, I also had tearing in the start screen and screen blackouts. Battery life was good with .164, no complaints. I started out fresh, didn't use an old backup, though I did a hard reset after the update to .164.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
there are actual features that i prefer in win8.1 for photography that are missing in win10, particularily action shot. I don't know if they're deprecating the features, but I sometime miss my lumia 830 over my 950.

also, I'm not voting on the poll, because I don't think it's accurate. win 8.1 has more features the win10 does right now.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
0240.00021.15235.53001 so you are up to date! Did you have to manually update that firmware or did you receive it as a normal update prompt?

drewsuruncle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
In the beginning it was terrible, after a few months and a few updates things were looking pretty good. This last update seems to be another huge step backward. I'm doing a hard reset as we speak. I'm pretty much a Microsoft ******, and have been since windows phone 7. I've had at least a dozen different windows phones, just saying this to show I am willing to put up with a lot. I'm very close to leaving wp if this hard reset doesn't get **** straight.
The issues I've had are lots of app crashes, text messages disappearing & not being sent, Cortana rarely works/crashes, the screen doesn't hide during calls (usually goes away if I restart). Those are most that I can remember, but its driving me crazy. I'll update at some point here after my hard reset finishes, and I get a chance to use it for a while.

511pf

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I've had Windows 10 on my Lumia 830 for several months. Some thoughts.

• Generally, the latest build (.164) on the release preview ring is fine. Performance is comparable to WP8.1. It has some minor bugs, but nothing that's impossible to live with.
  • DO NOT go to the Slow or Fast rings. The first build on the Redstone branch just came out for the Lumia 830, and it's a DISASTER. I had to reinstall WP8.1 then go to WM10 build 107, then 164, then factory reset. NOT how I wanted to spend my Saturday.
  • Battery life on WP8.1 is about 33% better. I could get 48 hours out of WP8.1. That's down to 36 hours on WM10. I've turned data collection down to "Basic" to see if that makes a difference. Rotten battery life is one reason I switched from Android in the first place.
  • I have the black screen flash bug, and always have on WM10. Seems maybe less often than it used to
  • There are features missing on WM10. No weather on Glance is one of them.
  • I've had decent experiences with Edge until recently, when it completely went to crud. Pages don't load, or reload while I'm reading them, or take forever (10-25 seconds) sitting at a blank screen while loading. There is some speculation that keeping Edge running in the background burns battery life. So I kill it when I'm done with it now.
  • Maps driving/navigation UI sucks. Fonts are too small and hard to read. There is an update for this on the Redstone build fast ring, but I'm not getting near that. I hope they roll it out to the release folks.
  • No GPS trouble for me.
  • Clicking an email notification takes you to wherever you left off in the email app, not that message. This is incredibly aggravating, as it's basic functionality that's just broken, and has been for weeks. THIS bug, which signals Microsoft's lack of commitment to Windows mobile, is why I bought a Nexus 5 last week that I'm going to install CM13 on when Google drops support. I'm going to keep using both for a while, but I think I'm done with Windows mobile until Microsoft shows they're going to put more than three high school interns on this project. I will really miss the live tiles. Best way to get at a glance information. I'll also miss the Lumia 830's camera, which is better by far than anything of that generation.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
This last update seems to be another huge step backward. I'm doing a hard reset as we speak.

Is this the release preview or the insider Fast version (RedStone) ?

New version 10586.218 out just today, let's see if this one irons out more bugs.

Still waiting for my carrier release.

skydiverian

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
I'd like opinions of people who have been running the W10M public release for at least a week

Could we stick to this please? I'm toying with upgrading my 830 to W10 but can't decide whether several of the comments made in this thread are by people using the official release or using insider builds.

I found that on my 830:
1) The battery life is terrible im lucky to get atleast 7hrs out of the phone.
2) I did find that apps crash alot more frequently on build 14295, to be honest i found the whole build really buggy but there have been better builds prior to this and they have been quite stable and you get alot of resumes but performace is okay .
3) My screen flickers black for a few seconds for some reason and REALLY ANNOYING flashing screens whilst playing video.
4)Random reboots
5) It can get hot though.
6) On the current build only, apps which should be on the task switcher, when you open an app are not there so the app is closed and you have to go on it again if you press back.

If I was you i'd probably wait for a more stable build because i found this build really buggy, a huge contrast of stability between the previous builds but if you can deal with these issues then i'd guess it'll be alright, I use it as my daily driver.

Hope this helps. :)

Great example of why this thread needs to stick to people using an 830 on the official release, as stated by the OP - you mentioned a problem on a redstone build, so unfortunately your post doesn't help as I have no idea as to whether the problems you are referring to are on the official .164 release or on a redstone insider build, since you haven't mentioned if you have rolled back to .164 or otherwise.

Every now and then I see my Location Icon turn on, although the Location is turned off, and no app is aloud to use Location. That never happens on 8.1. So much for privacy on Windows Mobile 10...

I get this on my 830 on 8.1 GDR2 - only happens when checking data sense or enabling/disabling internet sharing. Find my phone is, however, enabled, which may explain what I'm seeing

--

The consensus I'm getting from the above posts is that .164 is fine with few if any problems, using a redstone insider build causes further problems and best avoided on a daily driver.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I'd like opinions of people who have been running the W10M public release for at least a week
Could we stick to this please? I'm toying with upgrading my 830 to W10 but can't decide whether several of the comments made in this thread are by people using the official release or using insider builds.
The consensus I'm getting from the above posts is that .164 is fine with few if any problems, using a redstone insider build causes further problems and best avoided on a daily driver.

Aye, I second this motion : when commenting on your W10M experience, please start by stating whether this is on the public release or the insider builds (redstone, etc).

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I left the insider program and went to production build a few days ago.
Updated to 10.0.10586.218 last night.
Over the night it lost about 25% battery just sitting still. No vibration enabled or anything that would suck higher than normal battery. Oh well, the outstanding battery life was good while it lasted.

@Long Syntax - You can get firmware updates through the Windows Device Recovery Tool if your provider isn't pushing them, but doing so wipes your device back to factory settings.

Long Syntax

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
thron - I'm aware that I can get the latest firmware even if my provider doesn't push it. However, this is a case where the blinking hasn't been resolved and it's doubtful that a fix is in the works. The main reason for my assertion is that 1) it's an older phone at this point in time 2) MS can't recreate the blinking, though tons of others have the same issue. The blinking appears on the latest .218 prod build as well as on redstone builds. I've been reporting this since last December and have experienced it on insider builds since last summer. Reverting to 8.1 clears it up, so it's definitely a W10M build issue.

For further info see the MS community thread on the issue: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...m-screen/d8a78d9c-9a66-4f7c-80f7-12902cea078f

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
That really sucks!

Is it potentially a hardware issue, though?
I've never had the screen go black like that, on any build. I had pixel smears with Redstone but that's as close as it got.
I have the RM-985 model from Fido in Canada and I bought it November 2014.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm tempted to jump in on the .218 now...

From my understanding, the .218 released to carriers and the one available through insider preview "release ring" are exactly the same, right ?

Oubadah

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I purchased a Lumia 830 second hand, and it came with Windows 10. The Windows environment felt clunky and stuttery, but since I had nothing to compare it to (this being my first Windows phone) I assumed it was probably normal. However, there was also screen tearing at the top of the screen which was really bothering me. I tried resetting the phone twice, and this made no difference to the performance or the tearing.

This morning I ran the Windows Device Recovery Tool on it, which appeared to have a newer version of firmware (unless I read it wrong) so I let it run, expecting it to stay on Windows 10. When the phone restarted, it was like a completely different phone. The tearing was gone, but also the Windows environment was silky smooth and responsive.

I soon discovered that it had installed Windows 8.1 (8.10.14234.375).

I now want to update to Windows 10 again to see it the firmware has made any difference, but the problem is that The phone says it's on the latest OS, and it doesn't even seem to be on the latest version of 8.1. What should I do?

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Every now and then I see my Location Icon turn on, although the Location is turned off, and no app is aloud to use Location. That never happens on 8.1. So much for privacy on Windows Mobile 10...
I was just debating to enable Cortana so I can have her read my texts over Bluetooth (like she did in 8.1; without having to enable her) and I came across this:
http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/
So check and see if Cortana is enabled. If she is, that's why your location is getting pinged.

From my understanding, the .218 released to carriers and the one available through insider preview "release ring" are exactly the same, right ?
Release is what I chose upon installing Windows Insider, there wasn't initially a "Production" option.
After 10 installed, I went back to insider again and Production shown so I chose it and left the insider program.

It is my understanding they are the same, but if the option is there, pick "Production."

I now want to update to Windows 10 again to see it the firmware has made any difference, but the problem is that The phone says it's on the latest OS, and it doesn't even seem to be on the latest version of 8.1. What should I do?

KefKef gives the proper instructions for provider updates below. If no luck (provider hasn't pushed 10 yet, then try insider):
Go to the Store and search "Windows Insider" app, install and select either Release or Production (if Production is there, pick it) - whatever you do, stay off Slow or Fast because they are buggy as hell on the 830.

Last edited:

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site

You have to go to Store and install "Upgrade Advisor". Run it and follow instructions. That is the proper way to OTA upgrade to W10M from WPh8.1

Kornster

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I`d like to chime in here and give my feedback as a Lumia 830 user for a long time.

For me the experience with WP10 Mobile has been terrible. i`ve submitted numerous feedback requests to M$ from the feedback app and then the next build that is released breaks the phone even worse. I`ve recently in the last 48 hours reverted back to 8.1 due to the instability of WP10.

Just a list of the issues i have experienced.

Resuming message often when moving back to the Start Screen. Unsure if this is related to my Class10 SD Card or not.
Trying to use camera and the app crashing. Only way to fix it, is to reboot the phone.
Notifications for Email outright stopping. Again another reboot needed.
Groove music player freezing, Often failing to shuffle music with a loading bar. I`ve also had it crash the phone into a full reboot.
The digitizer for some reason is super sensitive with WP10. I often put my phone in my pocket only to take it out and be greeted with the A1B2C3 security warning . I`ve even had it as bad to be told to Power Off my phone to be able to access it again.
Wireless often breaks and i have to disable it to access the internet over 4G. Either that or another reboot and it will resolve it.
Had a couple of occasions where the vibration motor kicked in and just stayed on requiring me to remove the battery to turn it off.
i`ve had a few experiences with an unexpected reboot not bringing my Micro SD card back online where i store all my apps. I`ve even had a bad reboot that corrupted my SD card and i had to remove it and fix it from my PC. Lost everything that i hadnt backed up for a week.
Attaching files to Email crashes the Email app. This has recently started happening.
Ever since moving to WP10 a missed call is not diverted to my voicemail greeting. This seems more on the carrier side than with a problem with the OS itself.
Connecting the phone to the PC. It often doesn't detect the phone. Even had a driver failure across multiple pc`s at one occasion.
The photos app doesn't update recently taken photos. Is quite slow. Sometimes photos don't even show unless you reboot.

I'm pretty sure there`s some other problems but i cannot recall them off the top of my head atm.

I hope this helps and im not trying to make WP10Mobile look bad. I'm just tired of the issues and the fact it still hasn't been released outside of Insider considering it was scheduled for release last year and i was hanging out for it before i moved house.

P.S Also before i go i have a friend who is using a 930 on the Insider Preview and he has no problems so the issues i have seem to be with the 830 Hardware but in saying that i recently bought my wife a 640 and she had instability issues as well and i had to revert her phone back to 8.1 as well.

Regards
Kornster

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05