Lumia 640 XL LTE Speakerphone and Glance screen issue

vikrant1982

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello Friends,

I have just bought a new 640 XL and i am seeing two issues in it -

First - The voice over rear speaker of the phone crackles a bit in speakerphone mode during a call with volume set to more than 7. Here is a thread that talks about speaker crackling issue but mine does it more while using speakerphone. Need to know if this is an issue with all the phones.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ker-crackling-certain-frequencies-normal.html

Can somebody please do a quick test by using the speakerphone during a call and report results? Would be really helpful.

Second - Glance screen in peek mode is not working properly. Sometimes when i hover my hand over the light sensor, glance screen does not work. I have a high quality Nillkin tempered glass installed with precise cutout for the light sensor so, that shouldn't cause any issue. Moreover, on my old lumia 920, i had a cheap screen guard installed over the light sensor but there was no problem whatsoever with glance screen in peek mode.

Also, light sensor works perfectly each time when, i am on a call and put my phone on my ear which confirms that the hardware is not faulty.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Calls on speakerphone sound fine on mine, even on 10. I only tried from cell to cell. maybe there is a difference with landline calls...

Glance screen is sometimes acting up on mine too, maybe once every month or two. However, it always recovers after a soft reset.

vikrant1982

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Calls on speakerphone sound fine on mine, even on 10. I only tried from cell to cell. maybe there is a difference with landline calls...

Glance screen is sometimes acting up on mine too, maybe once every month or two. However, it always recovers after a soft reset.

Thanks for replying. Although, its a new phone and it looks highly unlikely but i'll still try factory reset to fix the speakerphone issue before going to the service center. What do you suggest?

vikrant1982

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I visited the service center yesterday and reported the issue with the loudspeaker of my phone. The service center guy immediately responded saying that all the phones have this crackling issue in loudspeaker mode when the volume is turned all the way up. I disagreed saying that my old lumia 920 doesn't have the issue. He asked me to compare my phone to other 640 XLs only. I asked him to prove his point and he quickly picked up another 640 XL which had come to the center for a display issue. He inserted the sim and turned on the phone. To my surprise, the loudspeaker in that phone too behaved exactly like my phone, no difference at all which pretty much confirmed that it is actually a design flaw.

I also tested the glance in peek mode on the other 640 XL and that worked better than on my phone. It was more responsive and immediately showed the display each time I hovered my hand over the proximity sensor. For this the service center representative blamed the tempered glass on my screen and told me that it could cause issues even if the glass has a circular cut out at the point where the sensor is located and asked me to test after removing the glass, which i haven't yet done.

Below is the image of my phone with tempered glass. Request someone to please suggest if this can cause any issue with the proximity sensor. It isn't a very cheap glass so would like to ask for some suggestions before I remove it.IMG_20160417_180455.jpg

vikrant1982

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
We have this tempered glass protector on our 640XLs. Below is a pic of it on my phone.
Hovering the finger on the sensor is responsive and works all the time. The design of the cutouts leaves a larger area to the sensor exposed. I wouldn't think it should make such a big difference.
I View attachment 125227

That's probably a better design for the proximity sensor to work. My tempered glass could be slightly misaligned covering some part of the sensor, making it less sensitive. I'll do some more research to get some more surety and will then pull out the glass.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs