How do I get my L520 to see my music again?

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I did not backup before I tried to upgrade to WP10 on my 520. Needed to restore using WDRT. I lost everything that was on the phone, including some apps that I'd like to have (like the ability to store maps offline). :unhappy: Live and learn.

But my music was on an SD card which should have been unaffected, a fair bit of it, actually. Roughly 6800 songs taking 47GB+ of storage. I had to compromise on compression space was needed for other data.

Anyway, I popped the SD card back in. I expected things to take a while to rebuild, but the next morning, the Music app seemed to see only ~290 songs. And stoped listing artists before the end of the "B's". :unhappy: :unhappy: :unhappy:

What I have tried without success over the past 2 days:
- Let it sit overnight to process (in foreground, plugged in, no screen timeout)
- Soft reset, let it sit all day to process (in foreground, plugged in, no screen timeout)
- Removed the SD card, restart, shut down, reinstall SD card

Nothing changed from the original 290 songs.

What steps do I need to take to have the phone recognize all the music?

Now, I am planning to get a new phone. And I have another 40GB or so of music to load onto it.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
It is nothing new, a phone reset or using the WDRT totally resets the phone. When you do that you lose all your files on the phone.
Try going to the songs list and start one playing, they will all play . Leave it that way to see if others are discovered

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Can you find all of your songs in the File Explorer app? If yes, then try playing some of the songs which don't appear in the Groove app from the Explorer. Then open Groove and wait for sometime. If it still doesn't load those all songs, try searching for them within Groove (I mean using the app's search function).

If you don't find them, then are you sure that barring the 290 songs, all other songs weren't stored on your phone's internal storage while rolling back to WP8.1?

If the above mentioned steps don't work then try this. In Groove app, navigate to Songs from the SplitView (hamburger) menu. Once there, tap the accent-coloured text in front of "Refine" (above Shuffle button). In the Refine menu, under Filter and Genre, make sure All and All genres, respectively, is selected.

If still the songs don't appear, try some other Music player like VLC or MX player or whichever you have installed. Check if those songs appear in that/those app(s). If they do appear in that/those app(s) and specifically not in Groove, then it's time to hard reset :smile: (Or wait for next Groove update which is unlikely to be coming soon.)

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Wow, what an active, helpful forum members!

Let me see if I can answer your questions/thoughts:

Can you find all of your songs in the File Explorer app?
Yes, I can see them when I attach the phone to my PC. And they play, of course.

try playing some of the songs which don't appear in the Groove app from the Explorer. Then open Groove and wait for sometime. If it still doesn't load those all songs, try searching for them within Groove (I mean using the app's search function).
Not using Groove, just the basic Music app that comes with WP8.0/1 and was restored with WDRT. (Is Groove even available for WP8.1?)

are you sure that barring the 290 songs, all other songs weren't stored on your phone's internal storage while rolling back to WP8.1?
Even without the OS, the 520 would be about 40GB short of storage for all that music :grin:

it's time to hard reset :smile:
I thought that was essentially what WDRT did for me :smile:

You should still be able to download maps offline. Just search "Maps" in the settings.
You are right. I should have said "download maps to SD card" in my post. I really need to have the whole US available. I travel for business. A few weeks ago, I was on a trip that covered 10 states. Two weeks later, it was 7. The only state in common was the state I live in. Can't store the OS and the US map on the 8 GB of internal storage in the 520.

Are you using Groove for music?
Using the basic Music app that comes with WP8.0/1 and was restored with WDRT.

It is nothing new, a phone reset or using the WDRT totally resets the phone. When you do that you lose all your files on the phone.
Yup, expected to lose all the files on the phone. Didn't expect to have challenges with stuff on the SD card. OTOH, I can open my Office documents just fine.

Try going to the songs list and start one playing, they will all play . Leave it that way to see if others are discovered
I took the suggestion. After about an hour now, I've not seen any songs/artists added. If I have to play all 290 to start adding new ones, I estimate that I have just another 14 hrs to go :grin: There msut be a better (faster) way.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Not using Groove, just the basic Music app that comes with WP8.0/1 and was restored with WDRT. (Is Groove even available for WP8.1?) ......Even without the OS, the 520 would be about 40GB short of storage for all that music :grin:....... I thought that was essentially what WDRT did for me :smile:

Oh. I had assumed you're on W10M. I didn't get that initially after reading your question. My second mishap in a day. I need some sleep. Btw, you too didn't realize that I was referring to W10M all the time? All the steps I mentioned are for W10M only. Anyways, would be helpful to those on W10M who might come across this thread.

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Oh. I had assumed you're on W10M.... I need some sleep. Btw, you too didn't realize that I was referring to W10M all the time? All the steps I mentioned are for W10M only. Anyways, would be helpful to those on W10M who might come across this thread.
No biggie. It was worth the research. And I learned that Groove isn't available for WP8.0/1.

And you are correct. Now we have the steps archived for WP10! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
So, I decided to start fresh.
  • I copied the music to my PC.
  • Reformatted the SD card in the L520.
  • Copied the music back onto the SD card (using microsSD adapter for the PC)
  • Moved a couple of docs and exactly 2 pics as a side test

Now, after letting it sit (where it processed for only a few tens of seconds) and then a soft reset...
  • The phone sees (and opens) the docs.
  • It shows space used for photos (but not enough) and does not seem to be able to open them.
  • Only a handful of songs/artists/albums are displayed. Storage sense says nothing in music, but all those gigabytes are classified under "Other."

Any ideas, anyone? Don't recall that it was this hard to get it going the first time....

anon(8063781)

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Late reply, but have you tried the "Modern Music" app? It scanned my SD card and created an accurate database of the music on my Lumia 520 when no other app would (I kept getting duplicate entries).

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Thank you. I will give it a try...and report back.

I ran it and updated the library 3 times. It stops adding songs around 610 or so....less than 10% of my collection. :-( Oddly enough, I have "A" artists and "U" artists.

Last edited:

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Did you ever find a solution?

Alas, no. Started a new job and have spent too much time on this. Maybe I'll try again in a few weeks.

Thought the 520 would make a nice music player that wouldn't eat my phone battery while traveling.

This is a core function of the device using the default application. Should be a no brainer. I am beginning to understand why people like Apple: It just works.

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
My solution: Reinstalled WP10. Deleted all apps that it allowed me to. Reinserted SD card with music. Let Groove do its thing, which took a while.

It is slow, but I have space for music. And maps can go on SD card. Here (Maps & Drive) was a better solution for me, but this is adequate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss