Redstone Builds On 640 - Anyone take the plunge yet?

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
After reading about all of the juicy improvements with Build 14322 I am very tempted to try it out. At the same time I love how stable build 10586.218 is, especially with how the battery seems to last for a couple of days.

Has anyone gone ahead and installed 14322 and have some experiences to share, positive or negative?

LUGJUG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Updating now I will comment later after using it for a while just so U know I was using 14295 with out any glitches it was running very smooth

shikhanshu

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Highly negative experiences with RedStone over a period of one week. Battery life horrible, Store auto-app-updating crazy bad, jerkiness and lagginess all around, just no fun.

Switched back to Release Preview ring and I am happy with the stability. I know it will be more than a year before RedStone builds appear in Release Preview, but that's fine by me.

LUGJUG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Well so far for the time I have been using the new build14322 no problems yet everything works still very smooth and really like the new stuff happy!

shikhanshu

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Well so far for the time I have been using the new build14322 no problems yet everything works still very smooth and really like the new stuff happy!

I just looked at the changelog for 14322 and it looks very tempting! How is the battery life? If it is good, I will definitely make the switch from release preview to fast ring again!

Dongleboo

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Well, it's taking a LONG time to prepare for this update, I hope it's worth waiting. I hope they finally have a stable build with stable battery life. The previous 2-3 builds have tested my limits quite a few times. Especially the battery life....ohhhh the battery life. My phone was dying mid day without any usage. I hope this one is gewd....

shikhanshu

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Well, it's taking a LONG time to prepare for this update, I hope it's worth waiting. I hope they finally have a stable build with stable battery life. The previous 2-3 builds have tested my limits quite a few times. Especially the battery life....ohhhh the battery life. My phone was dying mid day without any usage. I hope this one is gewd....

Precisely. The changelog doesn't have any mentions about battery life improvements, so I am guessing it will be dismal as usual. Will stick to release preview unless I hear otherwise on the forums.

LUGJUG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Well battery has been fine for me even with 14295 I have not had the battery drain issues some people have been having so......

hoj1955

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
640 att gophone unlocked. on 14295. battery life is pretty good. performance is about the same as on 10586.168. the only bug i have run across so far is in the music app. it's not updating podcast or songs that have been added. have to go into the file manager to find them. very irritating. gonna try 14322, if it still there i may revert back to the production build.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Ok I couldn't hold off any longer and decided to go for it. 14322 has been installed and the installation process went without any problems. No other bugs identified yet and battery seems fine over the past few hours.

I guess we'll have to wait a while to see what common bugs pop up.

Manchester1894

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I've been on the Insider Program for months in order to get w10. 10586.164 was the first real build that was not suitable for a daily driver. Me and my wife had issues with flickering videos, music interrupted by twitter, notifications not coming through for texts emails etc to name a few.

I decided to roll back. A real pain as it's a 3-4 hr process. But after rolling back and going to 10586.218(retail version) I'm back in love with W10 mobile.
I'll wait for the summer update. If you only joined like me to get W10, roll back to the release version, it's great.

Dongleboo

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Precisely. The changelog doesn't have any mentions about battery life improvements, so I am guessing it will be dismal as usual. Will stick to release preview unless I hear otherwise on the forums.

Well, to be honest, one of the insider builds has been awesome with amazing battery life and then they've ruined it. My phone lasted for 2 days straight even with moderate usage. I was amazed. Btw, since I updated last night my phone was on the charger, since I unplugged it at around 9-ish I've used it quite a bit in the morning to browse some web pages etc. and right now I'm down at 67%. It's definitely better than the previous build. The only bug so far that is a bit annoying is the Windows Hello feature which is a bit confused at the moment and doesn't know when to turn on. When I unlock the phone it either turns on for 1 sec or doesn't turn on at all unless I drag down the action center and put it back. Then it activates and starts looking for me. The funny thing is that when I lock the phone it starts to look for my eyes and the IR light is on. If I look at the phone it unlocks even though it's technically locked... :D
It's not a such pain in the a** and I can live with it until it's fixed. The music controls on the lock screen are super useful tho!

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Works great here on latest build, no battery drain so far. Pretty snappy but a bit jerky when scrolling. This build does feel very smooth

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Tried the latest build and removed it quite quickly. It was slow, froze a lot, I was unable to download speech languages (the point was to try Cortana in my region) and so on (and I did the usual soft/hard reset, reinstalling Insider app, etc.).

Plimbob

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I updated my 640 XL to 14322 and it seemed to fix my issues with Band 2 not connecting to email and the jerky scrolling. Battery seems OK so far.
On the whole it seems to run faster. However, I am not a power user by any means so my experience my not be indicative to folks who are.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm having almost no issues running 14322 on my AT&T Lumia 640 GoPhone. I have tried to duplicate most of the bugs others have mentioned, and I a happy to say I have been unsuccessful at reproducing any of them. Bugs I have not tried to duplicate are the ones that do not apply to me, like anything with Band 2 connectivity, since I don't own a wearable device at all, and I have not tested issues with Messenger, because I don't use it or even have it installed.

I did have an issue with Quiet Hours not turning on and off per schedule at first, but turning it off manually, then back on and resetting the auto times fixed that issue.

I do have an issue with decreased battery life. It has to be charged mid-day with mild usage. It gets short, quick charges throughout the day now. It's not much of a hassle for me, since I'm at home (retired and raising children) most of the time. When I'm out and about, it gets plugged into the car charger, which is Quick Charge 2.0 compliant, and it stays at a good charge level for me most of the time. While at home, I do have available chargers plugged in at pretty much every room of the house, so I have no issues there either.

Loving 14322 so much, that I can tolerate the battery issues. Looking forward to things getting even better as we get close to a summer-time release of the Anniversary Update. I think they'll be ready for it in time.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I feel like after a few battery charge cycles my battery is holding up better now. I charged my phone Saturday night and made it through a fairly busy Sunday with still about 35% charge by the time I was going to bed.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Installed build 14327 and I can say that this build is even smoother than the previous build, and battery life is great so far. Haven't really run into any issues for the time being.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon