Is This a Bug or Is This How it was Designed?

jbestman

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Pictures deleted from the picture app remain on the SD card.

Go to your picture app. Select a couple of pictures. Delete them. It says "pictures deleted".
Connect phone to computer. Browse to your Picture - Camera Roll. Pictures are still there.

I have been able to consistently verify this. I am running build .218

If this is by design, that would be weird. If it is a bug, it should be fixed. It would be embarrassing to anyone to suddenly see all the pictures that were deleted suddenly appear on your computer, in an inopportune time. Those pictures were deleted for a reason.

If you have recently deleted a picture that you want absolutely gone. I would suggest you connect your phone to your computer and verify that they are actually gone.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure, it certainly sounds like a bug. I'd recommend filling this in using the Windows Feedback app on your phone as that will go straight to MS.

David Carrera

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by jbestman
Pictures deleted from the picture app remain on the SD card.

Go to your picture app. Select a couple of pictures. Delete them. It says "pictures deleted".
Connect phone to computer. Browse to your Picture - Camera Roll. Pictures are still there.

I have been able to consistently verify this. I am running build .218

If this is by design, that would be weird. If it is a bug, it should be fixed. It would be embarrassing to anyone to suddenly see all the pictures that were deleted suddenly appear on your computer, in an inopportune time. Those pictures were deleted for a reason.

If you have recently deleted a picture that you want absolutely gone. I would suggest you connect your phone to your computer and verify that they are actually gone.

Same with me, however I realized that it was because I backed up my camera roll to the pc so when I deleted them from the phone and thus onedrive, the pc re-uploaded them to one drive and therefore reappeared in photos app. Make sure you don't have duplicated pictures getting reuploaded from the pc.

jbestman

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Same with me, however I realized that it was because I backed up my camera roll to the pc so when I deleted them from the phone and thus onedrive, the pc re-uploaded them to one drive and therefore reappeared in photos app. Make sure you don't have duplicated pictures getting reuploaded from the pc.

Not the same thing. I do not even use the picture app on the PC or back up my pictures to the PC. I use the phone like mounted drive and manually browse it as such. That is the best way to see if the pictures are still there.

So, no, these are not backed up pictures that I am seeing.

aetneerg83

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Well, I can confirm the reverse of what you're doing. When I delete them from the phone it doesn't show them on the phone anymore on the internal storage. But when I connect the phone to the PC the pictures are still there on the phones internal storage. Will try the reverse when I have the chance to.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It depends how it works. A lot of filesystems will just mark files for deletion and then overwrite the section with new information. The file is actually there. In fact, this is the case for any filesystem. That's why they have programs that allow you to clear out information by writing to the drive many times over so that the files can't be recovered. Granted I haven't experienced this problem myself but I only ever did this with large video files. I deleted them to make some room and then connected to put other stuff on the card. So maybe with smaller files there could be a subsystem that sweeps them up at intervals to save on battery or it's not marking them correctly. This could be an issue with the actual photos app as I did deletions directly in file manager.

But try deleting the files and then restarting the phone and connect it, see what happens. And of course you can also try deleting directly using file manager and test that out as well. At least it will tell you that the bug is in the photos app itself.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
It depends how it works. A lot of filesystems will just mark files for deletion and then overwrite the section with new information. The file is actually there. In fact, this is the case for any filesystem.

That's true, but under no conditions should the file still be visible with normal means, such as connecting the phone to the computer and still seeing it in Explorer.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
That's true, but under no conditions should the file still be visible with normal means, such as connecting the phone to the computer and still seeing it in Explorer.

Very true that's why you need to do the tests with photos app and with file manager and see where the source of the problem is. This way you can put in good quality feedback to MS.

Checkoff

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I got the same! Deleted from Photo App, but still visible in Whatsapp or File explorer!!!
Im glad its not just me.
I just bought a new 32 GB SD card from Samsung. Lumia 950, on .218, non insider.

Is there anything on the Windows Feedback page?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium