Has Gmail on Web gone back to only HTML (phone)?

sameersaab

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I have WP 8.1 on a lumia 1520 and when I access gmail through the browser it gives me the old school HTML email with no tabs and stuff. Kind of like what we had with WP7.

is anyone else seeing this, or is it only my phone?

I have a 1020 with 10mobile and it aks me "do you really want to use HTML Gmail?" when I click "take me to the latest Gmail" it doesnt go anywhere.

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue on my 950XL on Windows 10. I used to get a decent looking Google mail/calendar site when I logged into my work's Gmail site, but now I just get the dopey HTML mail site. The issue seemed to occur after I did the latest W10 update on the phone. I have not found a solution for this as of yet.

pezbemine

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. It started about a week ago. If I use the link I had pinned to my start menu, I get a Forbidden Error 403 code. If I try to use the browser, I just get html email. I'm hoping someone just screwed up the coding somewhere, but I may start migrating my accounts to Outlook.

saqib qureshi

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah started recently, with my pinned Gmail also. very annoying. From what I recall, wp8 had some API's that "tricked" websites into thinking it was an Android phone? Now perhaps either google caught onto that or windows doesn't do that anymore

saqib qureshi

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I only need Gmail web on occasion to do searches. Otherwise prefer the stock email client. As for now, until someone from msft sees this thread, im using metromail for searching folders.

Kristijanvg

May 8, 2016
Visit site
You can try this, it worked out for me:
-On WP 8.1, i use UC Browser
-go to website preferences and select android (image below)
-try login now on gmail

http://img3.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/22414/2241441317e4d02090b37a546105487f18a12855.jpg
http://img2.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/22414/22414412b22eb1506c7880aa74d6b61cf375ef9a.jpg

Now I have that gmail layout, BUT if i wanna attach something, I can't. To see attachment it's OK. Maybe someone will not have that problem.
Image Hosting - Thumbnail and resize your photos and images

Last edited:

saqib qureshi

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey Kristijanvg, that did it - I installed uc browser. I guess something happened to internet explorer where it no longer reads pages like an android phone.

sameersaab

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, Kristijanvg!!! Its still unfortunate that IE downgraded or lost its ability to run android-style web browsing, but the UC Browser took care of it! I pinned that on my start now. I dont need it for attachment as much, I like the stock email in windows phone, but need gmail web when I want to search all of my thousands of emails.

DavidTaurianova

May 16, 2016
Visit site
This also worked for me after I started having the same issues about 1 month ago but from yesterday I have been unable to open gmail using the UC browser. When I try the page takes quite long to load and when it eventualy does it is not gmail but a page titled: new task download.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre