Can Samsung Ativ SE be upgraded to windows 10 via Windows insider app?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hello everybody,
I was considering to buy the Samsung ATIV SE 16gb because it is available for dirt cheap(considering it has SD800 and 2gb RAM) on eBay in INDIA, so I wanted to know if this phone can upgraded to Windows 10 mobile through windows insider program. I know it can be done through registry edit or something like that but I can't do that also I don't want to!
Thanks.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Absent any hacks... No Insider and no W10M.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
So you mean that if we are on windows phone 8.1 on this phone, we can not download windows insider app and upgrade it to w10m.
Also how about registry edit, I saw a whole article on how to do that, would you recommend that because this phone is available for Rs.8990 which is very cheap and I couldn't find any other phone(windows) with SD800 and 2GB RAM even under Rs.15000(my max budget) in India. If you know a phone with official support for w10m and with these kind of specs within the budget then please let me know.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is probably the best resource on this board for your request: http://forums.windowscentral.com/sa...rading-samsung-ativ-se-windows-10-mobile.html

I agree, Samsung Ativ SE is undervalued and under-recognized as a flagship device on this platform. It compares favorably with Lumia 1520 and 930. Samsung ATIV SE vs. Nokia Lumia 1520 vs. Nokia Lumia 930 - GSMArena.com

The only other choice that might equal it would be an HTC One (M8) Windows.

If Ativ SE is the best price I say it is a great value. It is worth the effort, IMHO, if you want to follow the directions in the linked thread. You should read that thread through and make a more informed decision if you feel that 10 is doable for you or not.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Does the HTC one m8 has official support for windows 10 mobile i.e via OTA update and if yes then will it receive the updates as fast as other Lumias do?

In fact it is in the same boat as Ative SE in that it won't get official W10M.

It does have the advantage that it can get Insider right away without a hack and go to Release Ring. For either Ativ or One (M8), Release Ring (Threshold builds) is the end of the line and neither will move to Redstone.

HTC One (M8) Windows came in 3 flavors: Verizon, AT&T or T-Mo (US) branded models. Of those 3 only Verizon variant would automatically have an unlocked SIM tray. HTC One (M8) for Windows vs. HTC One (M8) for Windows (CDMA) - GSMArena.com

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
via OTA update and if yes then will it receive the updates as fast as other Lumias do?

Once you get to W10M... Your updates to the OS will come as WaaS updates. Windows as a Service will push OTA to any capable device. Carriers and OEMs are still responsible for Firmware and neither Ativ nor One (M8) would be expecting any new Firmware at this point. But WaaS will deliver your OS features, bug fixes and patches at the same time as any other model. With the limit being only those updates to Threshold would apply. No upgrade to Redstone builds would be possible.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is there evidence they are lacking Firmware to function well on Threshold builds?

I think all we have is anecdotal evidence pointing in all directions.

It's just that their support lives are just about over, VZW stuff has locked out MMS settings and may fiddle with 10 M's behavior, etc. I'm not sure risk is worth the markdown, that's all.

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. @RumeredNow
But you mean to say that one m8 will receive updates until the branch 10586.xxx after the branch number changes to something else, the phone will not receive updates?
Then i think i will be better off with the lumia 650 not in terms of specs but in terms of support, right?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You may want to use the Quote button sir!

Thanks. @RumeredNow
But you mean to say that one m8 will receive updates until the branch 10586.xxx after the branch number changes to something else, the phone will not receive updates?
Then i think i will be better off with the lumia 650 not in terms of specs but in terms of support, right?

You are correct on both counts - unless HTC and the carriers it worked with get their acts together.

o_O
How?
Do they have a proof to validate their claims?
@ven07

People sometimes hack their phones to tell the servers issuing the update that their phone is actually an eligible one. (like using a fake ID, except not illegal) That's how we got ATIV's running around on Windows 10 Mobile. I don't support it for a primary phone, but if you don't mind the potential risk of killing it, I would do it.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
People sometimes hack their phones to tell the servers issuing the update that their phone is actually an eligible one. (like using a fake ID, except not illegal) That's how we got ATIV's running around on Windows 10 Mobile. I don't support it for a primary phone, but if you don't mind the potential risk of killing it, I would do it.

Agreed and adding this.. With the hack you will only make it to build 14295. The RS builds aren't going to be an option for you. All non-supported phones (those that aren't getting w10m officially) go into a bootloop when trying to update to the last two 143xx builds.

If you want to "use the fake ID" trick, you could get to build 218, which is working fine :)

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
You may want to use the Quote button sir!

You are correct on both counts - unless HTC and the carriers it worked with get their acts together.

Sorry, still new to this site,
also if we do the registry edit method and update to w10m insider on the ATIV then how can we kill it because it has the hardware to handle the win10m builds, right?

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Agreed and adding this.. With the hack you will only make it to build 14295. The RS builds aren't going to be an option for you. All non-supported phones (those that aren't getting w10m officially) go into a bootloop when trying to update to the last two 143xx builds.

If you want to "use the fake ID" trick, you could get to build 218, which is working fine :)

I get that but after the .218 build the phone will not receive the features that microsoft adds to w10m later on, for example "right on the web" in edge, right?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I get that but the .218 build will not receive the features that microsoft adds to w10m later on, right?

Nope :) sorry.. I'm suggesting the 218 build because you can still get app updates for now instead of being stuck on 8.x which is eventually going to become obsolete.

My suggestion is not a "long term solution", but more of a "temp solution". Get a new phone if you want to get RS :) Not being rude btw, but it's the only way

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Nope :) sorry.. I'm suggesting the 218 build because you can still get app updates for now instead of being stuck on 8.x which is eventually going to become obsolete.

My suggestion is not a "long term solution", but more of a "temp solution". Get a new phone if you want to get RS :) Not being rude btw, but it's the only way

Thanks,
I just ordered the Lumia 650(by the way it is badass in looks) it will arrive tomorrow, it will get the redstone builds, originally i thought lumia 640 xl will do just fine then i thought why not the 650, surely I can sacrifice a compass sensor for the looks!:winktongue:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb