Any option to stick to 3G in AT&T unlocked Lumia 640?

jitensetia

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Any option to stick to 3G in AT&T unlocked Lumia 640

Can anyone tell the option to stick to 3G in AT&T unlocked Lumia 640
I cannot find the option to select 3G/4G switch in my phone.

Its running only in 4G mode

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: Any option to stick to 3G in AT&T unlocked Lumia 640

Do you mean shut off LTE? Anyway, the option is through the field test menu. With the dialer, type "##3282#" without the quotations. Click accept. At the bottom click on the 3 dots (...). Be careful not to click on anything else. Change from automatic to manual. Click below and uncheck the bandwidths you want disabled. Click back and make sure to turn off ENS reboot (otherwise your disabled bands will turn back on after reboot). Click back until you have exited. Reboot and enjoy. Accidentally turned off a bandwidth you need... Just go back in and repeat but check the bands you need.

jitensetia

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site

do not work bro, it reverts back to 4G when I restart the phone after sometime :(

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site

It has always worked for me. But keep in mind that for US phones, 4G is actually HSPA+ which is just the faster forms of 3G. LTE gets labeled as 4G LTE which outside of US is just 4G sometimes. If you do not see LTE after 4G then you are on the 3G networks.

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Do you mean shut off LTE? Anyway, the option is through the field test menu. With the dialer, type "##3282#" without the quotations. Click accept. At the bottom click on the 3 dots (...). Be careful not to click on anything else. Change from automatic to manual. Click below and uncheck the bandwidths you want disabled. Click back and make sure to turn off ENS reboot (otherwise your disabled bands will turn back on after reboot). Click back until you have exited. Reboot and enjoy. Accidentally turned off a bandwidth you need... Just go back in and repeat but check the bands you need.
Does shutting off some of the bands increase battery life?

Bittah Pupil

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site

I'm testing this out right now with my 640 and unfortunately it doesn't seem to make much difference. Can't hurt to try and see if it works for your phone.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site

Turning off bands does not turn off the radio that receives the cellular signal. What turning bands off does do however is tell the radio what signals to ignore. For instance, unchecking all LTE bands will prevent the phone from looking for LTE. The phone prioritizes network bands by speed so it is always going to try to connect to the "fastest" bandwidth. Bandwidth speeds from fastest to slowest (under optimal conditions): 4G LTE, 4G/3G, 2G edge.

Where turning off bands can really help with noticeable battery life improvement is if you you get poor to no reception of a faster network bands very often. With spotty reception on, say LTE, the switching back and forth can use more battery. And if LTE had a poor signal but 4G/3G is strong, the 4G/3G is most likely going to net faster internet speeds which does help battery life.

jamssx

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Any option to stick to 3G in AT&T unlocked Lumia 640?

If you feel daring edit the registry. For W8.1 HKLM\SOFTWARE\OEM\Nokia\NetworkSettings\HideForce3G set this to 0 and reboot. This will give you a switch to turn LTE on and off from the settings. Note this is not normally writable so you have to do some unlocking to do this. Go over to XDA and find vcREG the version that installs with MixRadio. And use that to update that key. You don't have to completely interop unlock or update the DLLs (you'll understand when you read the instructions) to write that key. But since you're editing the registry this is at your own risk. Haven't tried this on 10 since I need T-Mobile's wifi calling....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3