Farewell Lumia 830.... you will not be missed...

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Well I had my phone for one year and all I have to say is this thing has very poor build quality.

The phone it's self hardware wise is nice and it did everything I needed it to just fine....and it runs windows 10 just fine and I had no issues outside of SD cards crapping out

The first one came with the screen delaminated from the body and I sent it back. The second one lasted 3 months as I dropped my phone ONCE and the screen separated from the body in the upper right corner despite having a case protector on it. There is no way to repair this other than to send the phone in and have them do it but I am not even sure Nokia will even fix it since it is a few years old already and obviously obsolete.

I did not leave the windows platform as I replaced it with a 950 and so far that device has performed amazingly well

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Idk but that device was DOA honestly I can't believe I bought that POS. I ended up giving it away actually.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android (from my 5x or V10)

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Well I gave my Lumia 810 to my wife and I got the 830 since it was relatively cheap at the time and I didn't want the 1520 or 9XX due to lack of expandable storage...

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the 830 now since my priv broke (fat boy sitting on a phone something is going to crack). I'm pretty happy with the 830 as a back up. I've beat the **** out of this phone and it keeps trucking. I hope MS decides to actually market and support WP mobile because I love UI and its smooth and stable. 8.1 that is.

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
That's good it probably depended on the batch they came from. Also yes hope MSFT still sees the potential for Windows Mobile growth. But I think they should've acted more during the WP8/8.1 days.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes man many Lumia 830s came with the detached screens. I had to return the first one and buy one again. But again it had the same problem though not as much serious as the first one. I am still using it.

The worst thing I have experienced with my 830 is its soft aluminium frame which has got three dents even when the impacts weren't so hard. Still I think Lumia 830 is one of the best Lumias ever designed but not one of the best built.

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
That's good how's the 950 you got? Besides performing amazingly well.

Even though it feels not as nice as other Lumia phones, I think the build quality is quite good. It is constructed similarly to the Lumia 810 and if that is the case it will hold up extremely well.

resancilert

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
unrelated to the topic :p, I have a 830 and it scare the sh** out of me, I didn't knew that it had a led for notification, and started to blink in red like about to blow up in my hand XD, and also having weird glitches and problems with build 14332 :c

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I have a lumia 830 and never had problems with it. The phone is designed to fall apart when you drop it. By distributing the force in such a way that everything falls apart and battery pops it is less likely to break. If you put a case on it that force is not distributed properly and if the case can't take the force it will break. I saw a neat video showing this on one of the lumias before but can't find it. But that's one of the disadvantages of unibody phones. I only dropped my lumia 830 once and it landed on gravel too. I wiped the rocks stuck to screen off and the screen had no scratches even. Which was good luck as metal may not scratch glass but sand particles/rocks can. But I used to drop my 520 all the time and the same thing would happen where the case fell off and battery popped and flew.

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Even though it feels not as nice as other Lumia phones, I think the build quality is quite good. It is constructed similarly to the Lumia 810 and if that is the case it will hold up extremely well.

Haha here's hoping it would.

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a lumia 830 and never had problems with it. The phone is designed to fall apart when you drop it. By distributing the force in such a way that everything falls apart and battery pops it is less likely to break. If you put a case on it that force is not distributed properly and if the case can't take the force it will break. I saw a neat video showing this on one of the lumias before but can't find it. But that's one of the disadvantages of unibody phones. I only dropped my lumia 830 once and it landed on gravel too. I wiped the rocks stuck to screen off and the screen had no scratches even. Which was good luck as metal may not scratch glass but sand particles/rocks can. But I used to drop my 520 all the time and the same thing would happen where the case fell off and battery popped and flew.

the screen is NEVER supposed to delaminate from the body... This is where the 830 falls short....now I will have to disassemble the phone and apply much stronger adhesive to the screen where it sticks to the body. Obviously Nokia fell short in this area as I am not the only one who has suffered this problem...

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
the screen is NEVER supposed to delaminate from the body... This is where the 830 falls short....now I will have to disassemble the phone and apply much stronger adhesive to the screen where it sticks to the body. Obviously Nokia fell short in this area as I am not the only one who has suffered this problem...

Well yah the screen should stay put. All I'm saying is the way it should work is that the back pops off and battery flies and that's where the force is distributed. But if the screen comes off the body that's another thing all together. The best thing you can do is not drop the phone. I take care of my phone very well and make sure it's never in a scenario where it could fall. Even if I put it into pockets I make sure that if I were to bend over it wouldn't fly out. I think about every scenario before even putting down my phone. I don't put it down anywhere near water or any surface where it could slip. I'm pretty hardcore about it. I don't do any one handed usage even if I have a smaller phone. If I need to use it while i'm out I stop and move to the side and use both hands. I paid $1k canadian for my 950xl after taxes/warranty. I treat it like a $1k device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999