What do you think of these new Lumia 950 metal bumpers?

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: What do you think of these new Lumia 950 metal bumpers

I bought a black one for my 950, these look really nice and for the price it is worth a risk. I'll post about it when I get it.

wickedchs

May 4, 2016
Visit site

These don't look like alternatives to Mozo cases (which are actually new backs for the devices) but rather just another case for the device. I wouldn't be surprised if these cases actually fit OVER one of the affixed Mozos. For $5 it's a nice option for protection when travelling so I think I'll give it a go (I've got the Mozo as well).

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site

I bought a Mozo case for my 950XL ... sent it back. The 'leather' felt like slimy plastic. The gold metal band looked like the paint would wear off fairly quickly. It was not worth $50 ... It isn't worth even $10 ... magical MADE IN CHINA on the inside of the case.... $0.05 per unit to produce.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

These don't look like alternatives to Mozo cases (which are actually new backs for the devices) but rather just another case for the device. I wouldn't be surprised if these cases actually fit OVER one of the affixed Mozos. For $5 it's a nice option for protection when travelling so I think I'll give it a go (I've got the Mozo as well).

Eh, I don't think they'll offer too much protection, really. Minimal at best. But it does dress up a phone a bit for special occasions.

I've got a Lumia 640, and they have these cases to fit that. I may order one for me (gold), and one for my wife (rose gold or pink) and just swap the cover to these for "special occasions" like date nights and such. Could be fun. Kind of like those occasions when my wife pulls out her special jewelry to wear, we can also put on a snazzy case just for fun. If I get the mirrored ones, she won't have to carry a makeup mirror in her purse, LOL.

Here's the ones I like from a different seller.
s-l500.jpg

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I think they look terrible. They're a mishmash of clashing design elements and look a bit too much like the iPhone.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I bought a Mozo case for my 950XL ... sent it back. The 'leather' felt like slimy plastic. The gold metal band looked like the paint would wear off fairly quickly. It was not worth $50 ... It isn't worth even $10 ... magical MADE IN CHINA on the inside of the case.... $0.05 per unit to produce.

Interesting. Ordered one of those and it'll be delivered tomorrow. First negative feedback I've read about them. Hope my impression is more like the positive ones. As for the price, much of that has to do with Qi and NFC. There's no way it costs $0.05 to produce with those components.

See61

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site

Nonsense, the leather is leather and smells and feels like leather. There also seems nothing wrong with the gold band on the side. It's not metal of-course and it could be that it wares off, but mine still looks like new. Nope, fine cover, although expensive.

hardywang

May 15, 2012
Visit site
The one from eBay is even cheaper than Tmall ones. $5.98 = RMB39. The ones from TMall's link are RMB 58 with a screen protector or RMB 68 with glass screen protector. I guess it is a good price.

The Tmall link has detailed instruction how to install it, DON'T just slide in :)

Z80_Man

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
The recent iPhones shapes with wide rounded corners and lines on the back have been 100% copied from HTC anyway. This is a known fact. Though I've been a (Windows Mobile Professional only, of course) HTC user for years, I find the new Lumia rantangle shapes with slight round corners much more beautiful, and seriously, I don't thing they look cheap (though I admit the Lumia 650 I just bought for my wife looks is gorgeous - and is incredibly lightweight).

Anyway, I'm currently using a simple cover for my 950 as I'm using a belt carrying pouch :
Ultra Thin Black Rubber Cover Case for Microsoft Lumia 950 | eBay

Here is the 950XL variant (couldn't find the black one from this provider, but you should be able to find it) :
Ultra Thin Red Rubber Cover Case for Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | eBay

Easy to fit, provides an excellent protection, scratch proof, direct and easy access to the buttons (doesn't cover them, so doesn't make them harder to use, yet protects them as they don't protrudre from the shell).

It protects both the screen and the rear camera with a (discrete) protrudring lip, so none of them would touch the surface on which you put the phone.

Actually, I'll soon use it naked as I've received my brodit craddle, so I'll have to remove this cover... But I'm going to regret it if I ever drop the phone.

Now if you're not using a belt hoster nor a car craddle and carry the phone in your pocket or a bag, then the absolute best case IMHO is this one (or a variant) :
Artificial Leather Case Microsoft Lumia 950 XL Bookstyle Black | eBay

Here is why I say it's the best :

- It offers the same protection and comfort as the simple back case above (it's basically the exact same case, actually), with a snug fit yet sufficiently easily removable, lightweight, shock and scratchproof material, easy access to the buttons, etc.

- The flip cover doesn't have an annoying tab on the edge like lots of other medels. Instead, there probably are some magnets inserted in the left side edge of the back case, as the front flap magnetially holds in place when closed ! Simple, elegant and terribly efficient.

- The same flap also magnetically sticks to the back cover, thus staying open by itslef when using the phone instead of clinging loose like all other wallet covers you can see around !

- In addition, you can fold the back flap to form a kickstand.

Honestly I can't see anything better to protect it if you're not using a holster. Given the ridiculously low price, I bought one for the 950 in case I would use it in a cary bag when travelling, and though I'm not currently using it because I've always been a holster maniac, I found it so terrific I bought one for my wife's Lumia 650 (actually the second variant below).

Here some variants, the first one being allegedly made of real leather (I'm not quite sure about the "real" leather stuff considering the price, but you could still give it a try) :

Hot Flip Genuine Leather Card Slot Wallet Case Covers for Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | eBay

Luxury Flip Cover Stand Card Holder Wallet PU Leather Case for Nokia Lumia 950XL | eBay

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
So, my order finally showed up today. I got the blue version from the original link in this post.

It is about what I expected. It is not awful by any means, but it is also not that great. The best thing about it are the buttons. The buttons sit on top of the original back cover buttons and they are simply a pleasure to use. From the front I really like the look of it and gives it just a little bit of extra character. The back is really where I found most things that I do not like. The cut outs are not aligned perfectly. I do not think it will cause any problems, but I kind of wish that they had kept the same kind of material and color for the back that they did for the sides (the back is not really metal, not sure the sides are either, but it certainly feels metal-ish).

Overall though, for ~$5 with free shipping you could do worse. Would I recommend it? Probably not. Below are the pictures of my white 950 XL inside the case.

IMG_20160512_175637.jpg
IMG_20160512_175648.jpg
IMG_20160512_175656.jpg
IMG_20160512_175703.jpg
IMG_20160512_175716.jpg
IMG_20160512_175733.jpg

I will, however, probably go ahead and use this case for awhile. So we will see how well it holds up.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
THey feel like holding the new galaxy phones with its glass/plastic back.
Wish they were little thinner.
But compared to my current bumper case its much thinner.

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
So, my order finally showed up today. I got the blue version from the original link in this post.

It is about what I expected. It is not awful by any means, but it is also not that great. The best thing about it are the buttons. The buttons sit on top of the original back cover buttons and they are simply a pleasure to use. From the front I really like the look of it and gives it just a little bit of extra character. The back is really where I found most things that I do not like. The cut outs are not aligned perfectly. I do not think it will cause any problems, but I kind of wish that they had kept the same kind of material and color for the back that they did for the sides (the back is not really metal, not sure the sides are either, but it certainly feels metal-ish).

Overall though, for ~$5 with free shipping you could do worse. Would I recommend it? Probably not. Below are the pictures of my white 950 XL inside the case.

View attachment 126282
View attachment 126283
View attachment 126284
View attachment 126285
View attachment 126286
View attachment 126287

I will, however, probably go ahead and use this case for awhile. So we will see how well it holds up.

Thanks for sharing the pics...i ordered it too...will be getting it soon enough..the cover looks good and quite nice

aetneerg83

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Anyone with this case notice the cellphone signal being affected by the metal bumpers? I think it is on mine.

Confirmed! Tried several times, with the metal case piece on I get 2 bars, when I take it off every single time I go back to 3 bars. The metal must mess with the signal just like many retail stores like Walmart, Sams Club, Costco, etc... have a lot of metal on the overhead and you 100% lose your cellular signal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923