Replacement chargers?

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know where I'd be able to get a replacement charger for the 640? I've got the US version but I live in France and I want something more elegant than using an international adapter. Can't seem to find any 750mA chargers online.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
A 750mA charger is just what comes with the phone. It's not required to use it, but any lower mA would cause a very slow charge, and some chargers that have a higher mA could possibly shorten the battery life, as it may not be a true smart charger that is compatible with the phone.

The Lumia 640 is Quick Charge 2.0 compatible, so I'd recommend you pick up a Quick Charge 2.0 certified charger. It will charge your device faster and more efficiently without causing damage to the device. Just do a search online for "Quick Charge 2.0 Certified Charger" and you'll find plenty.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
A 750mA charger is just what comes with the phone. It's not required to use it, but any lower mA would cause a very slow charge, and some chargers that have a higher mA could possibly shorten the battery life, as it may not be a true smart charger that is compatible with the phone.
But what I don't get is what the smart chargers are doing if it's the battery that determines the power that's pulled. And how is one supposed to know if a smart charger is fully compatible with a phone. Seems like lots of irresponsible branding out there.
The Lumia 640 is Quick Charge 2.0 compatible, so I'd recommend you pick up a Quick Charge 2.0 certified charger. It will charge your device faster and more efficiently without causing damage to the device. Just do a search online for "Quick Charge 2.0 Certified Charger" and you'll find plenty.
Where do I confirm this, that the 640 is Quick Charge compatible? It's not anywhere on the 640s MS page. I'm not saying you're lying, but again as per my previous comment, how are we the consumers supposed to know that?

EDIT: A bit of reading on the Qualcomm site brought up the fact that QC 2.0 is available on the Lumia 640's Snapdragon 400 processor. Now I just need to learn how QC works because I find it fascinating. So, is there any one QC charger brand that is best?

Last edited:

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
So, this has NOTHING at all to do with USB3.0 and 2.0 because that's about data transfer rates, correct? So are these QC ports USB 3 or 2 or non-relevant?

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
But what I don't get is what the smart chargers are doing if it's the battery that determines the power that's pulled. And how is one supposed to know if a smart charger is fully compatible with a phone. Seems like lots of irresponsible branding out there.
Where do I confirm this, that the 640 is Quick Charge compatible? It's not anywhere on the 640s MS page. I'm not saying you're lying, but again as per my previous comment, how are we the consumers supposed to know that?

EDIT: A bit of reading on the Qualcomm site brought up the fact that QC 2.0 is available on the Lumia 640's Snapdragon 400 processor. Now I just need to learn how QC works because I find it fascinating. So, is there any one QC charger brand that is best?

I would recommend finding one that says Quick Charge 2.0 Certified, and not Quick Charge 2.0 Capable or compatible. Certified means it has been reviewed by Qualcomm to be fully compliant with the standard. Compatible just means it is a charger that will charge a QC 2.0 device, not that it necessarily is compliant. It's a marketing twist that is liable to mess up your device. Get one that says Certified, and you should be good to go.

Now, as far as Smart charging, the way it works is that there is circuitry inside the charger that talks to circuitry inside the phone or device being charged. The circuitry in the device monitors the charge state of the battery being charged, and tells the charger over a data line when to slow down the charge because it approaching capacity, and when to stop sending a charge, or when to start "trickle charging."

Chargers that are not smart chargers leave the current available at all times, and your device will just draw whatever it is capable of drawing, and in some cases it can draw power rather inefficiently, which is why some chargers will cause your phone to heat up while charging. That type of charger will kill the longevity of your battery.

So, this has NOTHING at all to do with USB3.0 and 2.0 because that's about data transfer rates, correct? So are these QC ports USB 3 or 2 or non-relevant?

No, nothing at all to do with USB 3.0, 3.1, 2.0, etc. Nothing about data transfer rates. There are some QC 2.0 ports that are USB 3, some are USB 2, some are USB-C connectors with USB 3.0, 3.1, or even 2.0 on the USB-C connector. It only has to do with the method of charging the circuitry in the device will implement.

FYI, this is why your phone powers ON to charge and why it won't take a charge while powered off. It is also why if you discharge your battery to zero percent (I mean complete depletion, not just 0% according to the meter on your device), it will be unable to charge, as the device circuitry won't be able to detect the battery. The batteries also have a bit of circuitry to help with charging and it requires a bit of charge from the battery to be able to communicate and recognize the battery. There is a way to manually jump start them, but it takes a special setup to be able to do so. I keep the equipment on hand, just in case, and have saved a few people who pulled out an old backup phone only to discover it was completely dead and couldn't be charged. With their "current" phone now broken, they had no backup because of a dead battery. This is why you charge the battery to 60% and remove it from the device when you store it. Once a year, plug the battery back in and charge it to 60% again.

Okay, Too Much Info, I know.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I have charged my lumia 730 with a Aukey QC2.0 charger, it still charges at the same way. No difference :( . Snapdragon 400 is outdated anyway.

molimelight

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I use a different (Non-Qualcomm Certified) Version of this one with two 1 amp charge ports and two 2.4 amp ports. I have my 640 on the 1 amp because I'm not interested in quick charging. It's on there from when I get home in the evening until I leave then next day. It's well made and it seems that all of their chargers get 5 star reviews on Amazon. Has a one year warranty which is pretty much unheard of in electronics.

61sAheNaUrL._SL1500_.jpg

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
How do you know if one you're looking at is definitively Qualcomm Certified? The Tronsmart Titan I was mentioning doesn't say certified but it has the Qualcomm logo which I assume they can't just print unless Qualcomm approves, no?

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Looks like a solid charger. I have found my 5 port charger to be invaluable. Easy to throw in a bag when we travel without having to take a lot of adapters and search for multiple available outlet plugs at the hotel. Simple. Easy. Love it. Mine is only 50W instead of 90W. You would be getting a much better one than what I have, but I don't have any tablets to charge, just 2 phones and a couple of Bluetooth devices, so 50W is more than enough for me (not to mention I got it for half the price of the 90W version.)

I have charged my lumia 730 with a Aukey QC2.0 charger, it still charges at the same way. No difference :( . Snapdragon 400 is outdated anyway.
No difference that you can notice, I'm sure. Many chargers can charge as fast as QC2.0 simply by providing enough current to the phone to get it charged quickly. However, its not always the healthiest for your battery. QC2.0 works with the circuitry inside your phone to slow down charging as you approach full to prevent damage to the battery. No, it doesn't charge the same way. It will charge it as fast as your battery "should" be charged.

I have an Aukey QC2.0 charger for my car, and it's the best car charger I've ever had. Other chargers I'd bought would give me that irritating message, "Your phone is charging slowly." Grr. Yes, other chargers can charge faster, but like I said, QC 2.0 will work with your phone to make sure the battery is properly charged without damage. I have seen this effect by hooking up a charging meter inline on the USB connection.
http://www.amazon.com/DROK-Multimet...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3476444

Using the meter, I can see how my normal charger gives a full mA charge up to the point of reaching 100% full. Using QC 2.0, it gradually drops the mA being delivered after reaching 80% or so.

It also shows me my QC 2.0 delivers up to 1250mA to charge my Lumia 640, while the charger that came with the phone delivers 735mA, and yes, it will make a difference on how long it takes to go from 20% to 80%. The charger that came with the phone charges faster from 80% and up, but that's because QC2.0 charger is slowing it down to prevent damage.

How do you know if one you're looking at is definitively Qualcomm Certified? The Tronsmart Titan I was mentioning doesn't say certified but it has the Qualcomm logo which I assume they can't just print unless Qualcomm approves, no?
You don't always. There is always the danger of false advertising that will say certified when it isn't, and some won't say it when it is. This particular one looks legit, however. The one thing I always do is stay away from products that have not been reviewed. I read reviews on Amazon, and I search for reviews from sources I trust on the internet (not just anyone.)

Best of luck to you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers